Tuesday, April 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7972, 2019-04-16

James Holzhauer game 9.

CONTESTANTS
Katie Grosteffon, an ergonomist from Lexington, Kentucky
Adam Lozeau, a public defender from Saint Paul, Minnesota
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 8-day cash winnings total $460,479)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome again, ladies and gentlemen. As you just heard, James, our champion, is a professional sports gambler. He knows sports. He knows that in sports, records are meant to be broken. He's already set a new record for the most money won in a single Jeopardy! program. The two records that remain--Ken Jennings' 74 consecutive wins and $2.5 million in winnings. But James--

James: A bit of a climb.

Alex: A bit of a climb, but you're doing well so far. Nobody's been able to stop you. Will Katie and Adam manage that today? Good luck. We'll start finding out right now, won't we? All right. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A YEAR ENDING IN 9 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALSO A FIRST NAME (5/5)
A THURBER CARNIVAL OF QUOTATIONS (5/5)
BEHIND THE SCENES (5/5)
5 JEFFS (5/5)
YEAH, WE SAW IT ON THE INTERNET (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 23 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Adam: 6 R, 0 W
Katie: 1 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. James had $5,800, Adam had $1,000, and Katie had nothing in the bank. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,800.

A YEAR ENDING IN 9 $800: A year before the Pilgrims even landed, a Thanksgiving of sorts was held by newly arrived settlers to Virginia

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $16,000
Adam: $1,600
Katie: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Katie Grosteffon is the first player we introduced on the program today. She is from Lexington, Kentucky. And how is it that your ridesharing partner knew that you were going to be a contestant on our show before you did?

Katie: Well, I was on my way to the airport for a business trip, talking to my rideshare driver, John, about trivia. He said he was going to trivia night after he dropped me off, talking about Jeopardy!, how I tried out. And right before we got to the airport, I got a call from the contestant coordinator telling me that I was on the show, so we freaked out together. But my mom's pretty disappointed that she wasn't the first one to find out.

Alex: Okay. Moms don't like that. That's okay, though.

Alex: Adam Lozeau from Saint Paul, Minnesota. Spent time living in Europe--in the Netherlands, in a place that had an interesting mascot.

Adam: That's right. It's a city called Tilburg. Used to be a center of the textile industry. Workers there had a very economical way of treating the cloth, so the mascot of the town is a man who carries around a jug of his own urine.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. I will make no comment about that.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion. One thing you have demonstrated, not only in your wagering big on Daily Doubles, but your knowledge, it's very broad. How did you acquire this knowledge? Is it just school? Is it curiosity?

James: Oh, no. I hated school.

Alex: Really?

James: I only read things I wanna read, so forcing yourself to want to read different stuff is tricky, but, you know, that was what got me here.

Alex: How did you prepare for your appearance as a contestant on our show?

James: Just studied things I wasn't good at before. Tried to shore up the weak points.

Alex: Well, you've shored up the weak points.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $19,400
Adam: $3,200
Katie: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CANADIAN CITY NICKNAMES (5/5)
PRESS YOUR LUCK (5/5)
LITERARY ALLUSIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOYS IN THE BAND (5/5)
SOUNDS LIKE PIG LATIN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE (4/5) (Kelly: Philadelphia's Franklin Institute. Some of Ben's discoveries and a little of what scientists have been up to since his time.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 19 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Adam: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Katie: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. James had $27,000, Adam had $8,800, and Katie had a deficit with -$400. James wagered $11,381.

LITERARY ALLUSIONS $1600: Meaning extremely large, this adjective comes from the name of Rabelais' giant of a 16th century character

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. James had $46,381, Adam had $10,000, and Katie had a deficit with -$400. James wagered $17,000.

SOUNDS LIKE PIG LATIN $1600: The book of Daniel gives us this 3-word phrase for a hero's unexpected flaw

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Franklin Institute.) Beethoven & Mozart wrote for this instrument that Ben Franklin created, which he said gave him the greatest personal satisfaction of all his inventions
(Katie: What is the glass flue?)
(James: What is the glass flute?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $66,181 (lock game)
Adam: $11,200
Katie: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL NEWS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $43,780 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Adam: You've no hope of catching up... unless James does something stupid. So risk as much as $11,199; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2014 this 10,000-square-mile region moved its clocks forward 2 hours to Moscow Standard Time

FINAL SCORES
Adam: $11,200 - $11,199 = $1 (What is Siber Crimea?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $66,181 + $40,000 = $106,181 (What is Crimea? Happy birthday no one!) (9-day champion: $566,660)
(Alex: [To Adam] You should've stuck with [*], because the clue had to deal with, or dealt with, the annexation by Russia.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $36,000, 42 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Adam: $11,200, 14 R, 0 W
Katie: $0, 3 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $47,200

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 43/61 = .705
Adam: 14/58 = .241
Katie: 3/58 = .052
Team: 60/63 = .952

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALSO A FIRST NAME $800: It's the type of haircut seen here

BEHIND THE SCENES $600: The cry of the red-tailed hawk, heard here, is often dubbed in by movie sound designers for that of this majestic bird

THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Franklin Institute.) The Edward G. Budd Company, maker of metal car parts, tried its hand at aircraft, and produced the first one entirely made of this heavy alliterative alloy to take flight--still has a nice shine to it

THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Franklin Institute.) The Franklin Institute features a four-story pendulum named for this Frenchman; in the morning the museum starts the pendulum swinging in a north-south direction, & by 5, half the pegs are knocked down

PRESS YOUR LUCK $2000: Permanent press is a process where fabric gets chemically treated to make it resistant to these
(James: What are stains?)

THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Franklin Institute.) Tired of switching between the pair, Ben Franklin took lenses from his reading glasses & fused them with ones from his regular glasses, creating double spectacles, also known as these

PRESS YOUR LUCK $1600: This type of press gets its name from being powered by the movement of fluid

PRESS YOUR LUCK $800: The press seen here is used on this Italian-named grilled sandwich

THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Franklin Institute.) In his lightning rods, Ben Franklin advocated a pointed tip to channel charge into the ground; this man, who became king in 1760 thought blunt ends were better--it wouldn't be their last dispute

CORRECT RESPONSES
gargantuan
feet of clay
the glass harmonica
Crimea
a bob
a bald eagle
stainless steel
Foucault
wrinkles
bifocals
hydraulic
panini
George III
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

The amazing thing is how used we are to him winning. We don’t even think about it at this point. That’s remarkable. Such a breathtaking moment.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL NEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2014 this 10,000-square-mile region moved its clocks forward 2 hours to Moscow Standard Time

James Holzhauer: 66181+40000=106,181 (9x = $566,660)
Adam Lozeau: 11200-11199=1
Katie Grosteffon: 0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Crimea (James added Happy Birthday No One!) (Adam crossed out Crimea and wrote Siber)

Daily Doubles
James: 5800+5800
James: 27000+11381
James: 46381+17000

Coryats
James: 36000
Adam: 11200
Katie: 0

Combined: 47,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 19400
Adam: 3200
Katie: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

16,000 for James at the first break. Not too shabby. Katie was not heard from until Alex talked to her.

I was close to doing the opposite of Adam for the FJ! clue as I wrote Siberia. It was only as time was almost up that it hit me I should probably do a switch. Even with pen there would not have been enough time and I took the miss. My bad for not recalling faster where to go with the clue.

Adam and James were not about to take a nap with the remaining $400 clues to give Katie a chance to play the FJ! round. No mercy.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

My post this morning was deleted, so not sure if I broke a rule or what. Seemed pretty innocuous.
------
And just like that, James knocks down Roger's one-day record down another notch.

Second highest single-day winnings: $106,181

Second highest Jeopardy round score: $19,400

Until the other contestants actively try to uncover the DDs before James gets to them, they're going to have to rely mostly on luck (i.e., big misses by James) if they want to enter FJ in contention.

I don't think I feel the same way regarding being used to him winning. I expect him to win, but every day is a little nerve racking for me since I want to see him keep moving forward. A match up against some aggressive contestants and a bit tougher of a board can mean trouble even for him.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am
And just like that, James knocks down Roger's one-day record down another notch.

Second highest single-day winnings: $106,181

Second highest Jeopardy round score: $19,400
James also eclipses his own record for the largest FJ wager (and, concomitantly, greatest amount gained on FJ).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am My post this morning was deleted, so not sure if I broke a rule or what.
The show hadn't aired yet.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

James now has the Top 3 highest one-day scores all for himself. Nice.

How many times did Katie manage to ring in?
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am
Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am My post this morning was deleted, so not sure if I broke a rule or what.
What do you consider the "air time"?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am
What do you consider the "air time"?
The earliest time on here: https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-airing.html
Andy Saunders
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Carrying over the 17.37 wins pace for James to reach $1M from the Monday thread, it's down to 15.88 wins after today's haul. Ken hit seven figures on day 30.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 44,800
52 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: glass armonica

It has to be a great feeling knowing that you can ring in more or less at will. James is just playing against himself. Until someone finds a way to put a kink in his buzzer mojo, no one is going to seriously challenge him.

I bit the dust on DD3. I normally fare very well in both Bible categories and wordplay categories, but while I've heard the phrase "feet of clay" several times, it's not one with which I'm deeply familiar.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am
Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am What do you consider the "air time"?
The earliest time on here: https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-airing.html
In other words, 11:00 AM Eastern show completion?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 pm

I bit the dust on DD3. I normally fare very well in both Bible categories and wordplay categories, but while I've heard the phrase "feet of clay" several times, it's not one with which I'm deeply familiar.
+1 on all of this.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I spent half the DJ round shouting "hunt the daily doubles!!!!!!!!" at the TV. Oh well.

So close to being able to break his own record safely. There's just no words left; sit back and enjoy the ride.

Instaget FJ.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 pm

+1 on all of this.
I couldn't get past "clay feet".
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:54 am James now has the Top 3 highest one-day scores all for himself. Nice.
Interesting point.

Ken once had the Top 5* so I guess that's another record James could topple.

*But not "all for himself." He had the top two all for himself, and shared the third (= fourth = fifth = sixth) place spot with Brian.

However, he left a lot of money on the table over the years, I suspect probably over a million dollars. He could probably have had a lot more sports but I don't have time to check now.

I hope that TPTB don't revert to a five-day limit.
Last edited by RKane on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

RKane wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm However, he left a lot of money on the table over the years, I suspect probably over a million dollars.
Ken left $119,978 on the table over 74 games. (An average of $1,621 a show.)
RKane wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm *But not "all for himself." He had the top two all for himself, and shared the third (= fourth = fifth = sixth) place spot with Myron.
Brian. Brian Weikle.
Andy Saunders
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Even Alex has been rendered speechless by the magnitude of James's accomplishments, as evidenced by his saying something like "What can I say?" at the end of this episode. James reminds me of those kids in the 1980s who figured out the patterns programmed into arcade games like "Pac-Man," enabling them to generate ridiculous scores. What can one say about a contestant averaging nearly $63,000 per game?

Things I learned today that I'll be filing away for future use: the territory of Siberia encompasses more than five million square miles and accounts for nearly 10% of the land area on the planet (and 77% of Russia's area). You might say it's gargantuan. :) And it's not to be confused with the Siberian Federal DistrIct, which covers a mere 1.7 million or so square miles.

I instagot Crimea.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide