Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:00 pm Got the invite for Columbus the other day, but waited to share just because I wanted to confirm there wouldn't be an eligibility snafu because of WWTBAM. Guess I should be extra glad I aired during Week 1 last season!

Will the 5th time be the charm?
5???????

what was your score on this test?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It took me eleven tries to get on Wheel, most of which were just Wheelmobile events where I wasn't picked.

You have no idea how surprised I'd be if I ace this on the first try.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

Hi - Sorry for the late add. I forgot my jboard password.

I got an invite to the July 25 Columbus (OH) audition on Monday. I think I got about 44-45 right on the online test. That's about my normal score. This will be my second audition, but first since a Chicago invite in 2011.

I also have to thank this community for reminding me to check that e-mail account. Were it not for the jboard, I would have missed the invite e-mail until after the RSVP time had passed.

All the best! Here's hoping that you all get the call.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:37 pm
acthomas wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:00 pm Got the invite for Columbus the other day, but waited to share just because I wanted to confirm there wouldn't be an eligibility snafu because of WWTBAM. Guess I should be extra glad I aired during Week 1 last season!

5???????

I'm hoping that the 7th time will be the charm.
Teems with quiet fun.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:37 pm 5???????

I think I nailed it. 50/50. For the first and hopefully last time.

And it's been a journey. 4 in-persons before now:

2007 (Boston)
2009 (Boston)
2013 (Niagara Falls)
2017 (Minneapolis)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

immaf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:35 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:37 pm

5???????

I'm hoping that the 7th time will be the charm.
I was hoping that this year, the 10th time (passing the test) would be the charm (ie getting invited to a flippin' audition). I've passed every test since, but haven't had a tryout since 2010.

Methinks Miss Maggie just don't like the cut o' me jib.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

I was hoping my 6th in-person would be the charm (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, and after my first online test in 2008). But with no Columbus invite so far, it's looking like 10 online tests in a row with scores of probably 39 to 44 is still not doing it. I know the odds of getting an audition invite aren't great, but I don't think they should be this bad! Oh well, just keep on trying!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

lincoln23 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:55 am I was hoping my 6th in-person would be the charm (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, and after my first online test in 2008). But with no Columbus invite so far, it's looking like 10 online tests in a row with scores of probably 39 to 44 is still not doing it. I know the odds of getting an audition invite aren't great, but I don't think they should be this bad! Oh well, just keep on trying!
There's always the open call in Vegas. I'll be there!
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I'm just hoping for a second in-person audition. I'm more interesting now than in 2011, darn it. And much worse off financially. I know hanging so much hope on this is foolish, but it's starting to look like the ONLY possibility I have.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm I'm just hoping for a second in-person audition. I'm more interesting now than in 2011, darn it. And much worse off financially. I know hanging so much hope on this is foolish, but it's starting to look like the ONLY possibility I have.
Trade crypto?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm I'm just hoping for a second in-person audition. I'm more interesting now than in 2011, darn it. And much worse off financially. I know hanging so much hope on this is foolish, but it's starting to look like the ONLY possibility I have.
If you do get an audition, I would make absolutely sure you don't give them even a whiff of this being the case. I don't think they'd put anybody on the show because they need the money. Just my opinion. I certainly hope things turn around for you and you do get The Call.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:26 pm If you do get an audition, I would make absolutely sure you don't give them even a whiff of this being the case. I don't think they'd put anybody on the show because they need the money. Just my opinion.
While I agree in principle, they DO ask for your occupation and, well...
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:28 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:26 pm If you do get an audition, I would make absolutely sure you don't give them even a whiff of this being the case. I don't think they'd put anybody on the show because they need the money. Just my opinion.
And that’s why your answer will be, “professional game show auditioner”
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what should I look forward to here? Anyone got some good prep advice?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:14 pm So what should I look forward to here? Anyone got some good prep advice?
When entering the audition room and a J! staffer is there, greet the person with a good morning/good afternoon while remembering any please/thank you type manners where appropriate.

You passed the online test so that means you are capable of passing the in-person written test. There is leeway for the scores to differ while both in the same ballpark would be better than a 20-pt. drop. Do your best and only give one answer with no double crossouts.

The mock game is waiting to ring in, remember phrasing, and moving the game along with the next clue selection. Category and clue in that order as instructed. No preamble and certainly no "same category" nonsense. Do what the contestant coordinators like and take clues top to bottom. Switching categories is fine.

Short interview is not long to make yourself stand out. You have mentioned McDonald's and organ playing on this board for work while sometimes sharing some things negative about the experiences. Please keep everything positive and upbeat in that audition room. It's very important.

If you are asked about your work then be ready to respond in a way that indicates you enjoy those endeavors. If you can have some kind of one-liners ready it won't hurt.

Be prepared to answer what you would do with the money. Be creative and not boring. Trips, student loans, debt...all very boring and typical. Do better.

If you are asked about your experience on WoF then that is your place to shine since that went well. Use that to tie into trying for J! that you had such a wonderful time with the fellow contestants, show staffers, and playing the game for real. Do not make it only about having won money, trip and car.

Best of all you have already proven to casting personnel that you can make a good contestant. Use that confidence to your advantage.

Individual pictures are still taken? Smize as Tyra would say.

If another person wins some kind of prize for whatever they do for distributing the freebies be a good sport in being happy for the person.

With good timing look for a spot to ask a question and when doing so address the J! member by first name.

When leaving thank the staff members on the way out (pro tip - once again use their name(s)) and give best wishes/good luck to the others prospective contestants who may be walking out with you.

Follow instructions and have fun.

Best wishes that we see a post that you have received "The Call."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pmYou passed the online test so that means you are capable of passing the in-person written test. There is leeway for the scores to differ while both in the same ballpark would be better than a 20-pt. drop. Do your best and only give one answer with no double crossouts.
This is the part that worries me the most. When I took the online test, I got like, the first 11-12 questions right without hesitation, which I think gave me the confidence boost and ability to access later answers better. When I kept score regularly, I would often have fluctuations of $30,000+ on my Coryats, and I recorded $0 or negative several times (even had two $0's in a row once). It honestly can't be normal to have a swing that extreme from day to day. Although in this case, I imagine nerves, caffeine, a good breakfast, and the ability to jump around the questions instead of taking everything in order will help (as will whatever attempts I can make at studying).
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pmThe mock game is waiting to ring in, remember phrasing, and moving the game along with the next clue selection. Category and clue in that order as instructed. No preamble and certainly no "same category" nonsense. Do what the contestant coordinators like and take clues top to bottom. Switching categories is fine.
That shouldn't be a problem since slow-moving contestants are one of my biggest pet peeves as a watcher.

I found that when I played "Leopardy!" at MFF last winter, i was constantly ringing in too soon. I tried counting one beat, still too soon. Two beats, still too soon. THREE beats, still too soon. I imagine a practice game will give me a bit of room to practice that, as will practicing timing from home.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pmShort interview is not long to make yourself stand out. You have mentioned McDonald's and organ playing on this board for work while sometimes sharing some things negative about the experiences. Please keep everything positive and upbeat in that audition room. It's very important.
I think I've proven my interview skills. We all remember the hand map I did when on Wheel.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pmBe prepared to answer what you would do with the money. Be creative and not boring. Trips, student loans, debt...all very boring and typical. Do better.
Buy the ingredients to make the world's largest stroopwafel. (Should I bring one of those in?)
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pmIf you are asked about your experience on WoF then that is your place to shine since that went well. Use that to tie into trying for J! that you had such a wonderful time with the fellow contestants, show staffers, and playing the game for real. Do not make it only about having won money, trip and car.
That was one thing I was planning on tying in somehow.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 pm
I might still be jumping the gun a bit, but I have been trying to think of something to fill that gap for awhile should I still be woefully adrift by then. Some are even partially serious.

Aspiring comedy musician would probably be my best bet, though I have always liked "gadabout."
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:27 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 pm
I might still be jumping the gun a bit, but I have been trying to think of something to fill that gap for awhile should I still be woefully adrift by then. Some are even partially serious.

Aspiring comedy musician would probably be my best bet, though I have always liked "gadabout."
When I was laid off in 2002, I started hosting trivia nights.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Why does everyone think you have to be hilarious at the audition?
billiej

Post by billiej »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:20 am Why does everyone think you have to be hilarious at the audition?
Says the dude with the clown nose... :lol: