Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by cf1140 »

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Anyone from Trivia Nationals gotten the call?
Two that I've heard of.
Have they aired?

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4694
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by jeff6286 »

cf1140 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:14 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Anyone from Trivia Nationals gotten the call?
Two that I've heard of.
Have they aired?
nope

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by boson »

It is disappointing the J! producers didn't leap at putting as many of these auditioners on as soon as possible. Better trivia players = better show = more people watching.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by talkingaway »

boson wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 am
It is disappointing the J! producers didn't leap at putting as many of these auditioners on as soon as possible. Better trivia players = better show = more people watching.
It's a balance. Remember there are plenty of casual viewers out there who find the 90 seconds before round 1 restarts just as entertaining as the trivia itself. While J! is not nearly as contestant-driven as Millionaire, "oh, a penguinologist!" may be more interesting then "ah, another librarian who does Trivia Nationals".

Also, some trivia geeks at home might not necessarily be frustrated at lots of Triple Stumpers - if the star of the show is the clues, having contestants get them right is almost secondary. In fact, sometimes even a "bad" performance can bring out a lot of sympathy (cf Drobes, Pricilla).

That said, J! does celebrate both "natural intelligence" (by which I mean being innately curious and knowing/retaining the stuff you learn in the world around you by reading and learning) and studying the canon, so it is nice to see those large scores rocket.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by boson »

talkingaway wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
boson wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 am
It is disappointing the J! producers didn't leap at putting as many of these auditioners on as soon as possible. Better trivia players = better show = more people watching.
It's a balance. Remember there are plenty of casual viewers out there who find the 90 seconds before round 1 restarts just as entertaining as the trivia itself. While J! is not nearly as contestant-driven as Millionaire, "oh, a penguinologist!" may be more interesting then "ah, another librarian who does Trivia Nationals".

Also, some trivia geeks at home might not necessarily be frustrated at lots of Triple Stumpers - if the star of the show is the clues, having contestants get them right is almost secondary. In fact, sometimes even a "bad" performance can bring out a lot of sympathy (cf Drobes, Pricilla).

That said, J! does celebrate both "natural intelligence" (by which I mean being innately curious and knowing/retaining the stuff you learn in the world around you by reading and learning) and studying the canon, so it is nice to see those large scores rocket.
I disagree, and the massive ratings for James' run and the GOAT battle support me. Amazing trivia players are watched more than average trivia players. There were several people who auditioned who could put up similar runs on the show.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8268
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone from the Columbus audition get a call yet?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by StevenH »

boson wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am
I disagree, and the massive ratings for James' run and the GOAT battle support me. Amazing trivia players are watched more than average trivia players. There were several people who auditioned who could put up similar runs on the show.
Yeah, I have always heard that TPTB don't want another contestant who would go on a long run like Jennings did in his original appearances. But why? The ratings went up! And Jennings has always seemed to be at the front of the line to be brought back for super tournaments.

And if TPTB really don't want another long run then why not just put a cap back on the number of games that a contestant may win in regular play. I personally have always been opposed to the sky's the limit rule, but I think that a 10-game limit would have been great because it would make a contestant retiring from regular play undefeated a rare and special thing without turning them into the star of the show.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Anyone from Trivia Nationals gotten the call?
Two that I've heard of.
Who?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4694
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:04 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Anyone from Trivia Nationals gotten the call?
Two that I've heard of.
Who?
Not up to me to say

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by cinemaniax7 »

StevenH wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:59 pm
Yeah, I have always heard that TPTB don't want another contestant who would go on a long run like Jennings did in his original appearances.
Maybe I'll try consoling myself with this thought: THAT is why I've never gotten The Call. :D

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:07 am
StevenH wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:59 pm
Yeah, I have always heard that TPTB don't want another contestant who would go on a long run like Jennings did in his original appearances.
Maybe I'll try consoling myself with this thought: THAT is why I've never gotten The Call. :D
Then why hasn’t my phone rung :P
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by morbeedo »

jeff6286 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:10 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:04 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Anyone from Trivia Nationals gotten the call?
Two that I've heard of.
Who?
Not up to me to say
Three so far
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4694
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by jeff6286 »

I was not trying to be cagey, simply don’t feel it’s my place to reveal people who’ve gotten the call. Some people may post on their Facebook page for their friends or other social media or in private groups, and sometimes word-of-mouth spreads around, but giving their names on a public forum feels like it is their choice to make or not.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7014
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by alietr »

It has already been pointed out to me that potential spoilers had been revealed as a result of posting who has taped when. So out of an abundance of caution, let's stop discussing this. Thanks.

DisneyFor2000Alex
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

Well, it happened - I got the call. I'll be taping April 6/7. My audition was back in May in DC, so don't give up hope!!!
I'm pretty much FREAKING out, and am super nervous, but my plan is to just enjoy the experience and be grateful that I get to meet Alex!!! :D

Charis
Contributor
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by Charis »

Episodes have aired, so I think it's safe to post that Zahkia from March 5 and Lynn from 3/6 both auditioned at Trivia Nationals.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

Waiting for confirmation on this, but why not pass on a rumor:

The waters in the pool have been turned to ice, and those Trapped Under Ice (like that Metallica reference?) get their clocks frozen until production begins again.

While I could see this as being true, I think the timeline needs clarification, and I don't know how the show will tell the swimmers when their clocks run out, once that is known.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm
Waiting for confirmation on this, but why not pass on a rumor:

The waters in the pool have been turned to ice, and those Trapped Under Ice (like that Metallica reference?) get their clocks frozen until production begins again.

While I could see this as being true, I think the timeline needs clarification, and I don't know how the show will tell the swimmers when their clocks run out, once that is known.
Did you see the official jeopardy! announcement?
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... 19-updates

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm
Waiting for confirmation on this, but why not pass on a rumor:

The waters in the pool have been turned to ice, and those Trapped Under Ice (like that Metallica reference?) get their clocks frozen until production begins again.

While I could see this as being true, I think the timeline needs clarification, and I don't know how the show will tell the swimmers when their clocks run out, once that is known.
Did you see the official jeopardy! announcement?
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... 19-updates
I did not. This was born out of speculation that with auditions being suspended and the pool shrinking, and people drowning because of the wait shrinking the pool further, the show would want to make this move.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Post Reply