Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by Golf »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 am I am truly of the belief that the audition selection is not actually random, as they allege.
I actually think it's just the opposite. If you look at the numbers reported over the last 10 years or so of reports from auditioners, it's probably 2 to 1 males. But then the ratio is 50/50 on the show itself. So it's quite obvious that once you get to an audition, it's easier for a female to get the call than a male.

Don't get too hung up on the experiences of a single person as compared to the process as a whole.
espnjordan
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by espnjordan »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 am
espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am My girlfriend took the online test 3 times since 2013 and has
gotten auditions all 3 times

Has this happened to anyone else?

I am truly of the belief that the audition selection is not actually random, as they allege.

I am also female, and have gotten auditions out of both tests I took and passed, and have been in the pool almost continually now since 2017. In both auditions I have been to, when they asked if anyone had auditioned before, only female hands went up with one or 2 exceptions. I believe the number of female test takers/passers is considerably lower than the number of males, however of the auditions I have been to, one was nearly 50/50, and the other was 3:1 female. I believe the audition selection process probably discriminates by gender to get an equal amount of women, since the show itself needs to be roughly 50/50. Like there are two pools: male passers, and female passers, and then there are random selections from each of those pools. But nobody will ever know what really goes on.
I completely agree with you. And this would explain my 0 for last 10 and my GF 3/3

I think they accept more girls to even it out for the show
espnjordan

Post by espnjordan »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:30 pm
espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am My girlfriend took the online test 3 times since 2013 and has
gotten auditions all 3 times
Do you know what her scores were?
40-43 in that area. Not significantly better than my average really
the past 10 years
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:34 pm I'm still cautiously optimistic about my chances. I know I can bring my A-game since I've done this before and I know how to sell myself as a contestant. Anyone think I can nail this on my first try?
Focus on the part you can control. Beyond that, it comes down to casting, i.e. do they need a forklift operator with red hair from San Francisco this season?

Break a leg. And have fun! They’d be lucky to have any of us!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am I got an Audition in 2009, but not since despite regularly scoring between 35-43 on the Online Test
I had four auditions in Culver City in the "we give the written test once a month, and you can try it once a year" era (every time I showed up, I passed the written test to proceed to the audition stage), and I've had two auditions in the online test era, but not since 2010.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

I see a note that the Chicago test is August 24, but no one has mentioned being invited. I checked my mailbox today (including the spam folder) and no invite, sadly. Can anyone confirm?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

khiddy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 am I see a note that the Chicago test is August 24, but no one has mentioned being invited. I checked my mailbox today (including the spam folder) and no invite, sadly. Can anyone confirm?
There are posts in this thread regarding Chicago.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

khiddy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 am I see a note that the Chicago test is August 24, but no one has mentioned being invited. I checked my mailbox today (including the spam folder) and no invite, sadly. Can anyone confirm?
Actuallly a few Chicago invites for that weekend were reported last week on p. 15 of this thread.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

Ugh, not sure how I missed those Chicago references as I was quickly scanning, hoping against hope that the Chi-town tryout invitations were fake news.

Sadly, it appears no invite this year again, despite yet another score of 45.
HeySarahJ

Post by HeySarahJ »

Hi. I noticed the front page thread with my username and question mark next to the score. I think on the online test I got 40 or 41. Regardless, I went to the audition in Columbus yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. There were two groups yesterday, and I was in the later one. 20 of us total, evenly divided between men and women for those that are curious. To echo what others said, I was surprised by the amount who had auditioned before, and it did seem like a lot of women in that group.

I felt like in the mock game that I either didn’t have my timing down or the other two players were that good (probably a little of both) as there were plenty of times I could have sworn I was in first but wasn’t. I mean, I know it was practice and all, but still, I wanted to ring in first. :D

I felt like the interview part went well. Corina was scribbling things down on my info sheet while I talked, so that’s a good thing, right? Hope for the best now, and at least I got a cool pen and a story.
Golf

Post by Golf »

HeySarahJ wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:54 am I felt like in the mock game that I either didn’t have my timing down or the other two players were that good (probably a little of both) as there were plenty of times I could have sworn I was in first but wasn’t. I mean, I know it was practice and all, but still, I wanted to ring in first. :D
In the past, they don't always call on who rings in first in the mock game. They want to give everybody a chance to answer and then hopefully select a category to see how they react and project.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

It has been my experience the coordinator will tell you if you're ringing in too soon but won't necessarily always pick the first one to ring. Sarah or anyone else who's auditioned in Columbus, did you have Glenn or Maggie?
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

I auditioned in Columbus today. Corinna led with Lori and Patrick. We had about 21 people in my session, about a third women. Lots of doctors/medical professionals and teachers. We only took one test that wasn't too hard.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was at the Columbus audition today. I think I did well on the test even though I had a couple blanks. I interviewed to the best of my ability and played off the others and the interviewers well. Hope I got this one!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:03 pm I was at the Columbus audition today. I think I did well on the test even though I had a couple blanks. I interviewed to the best of my ability and played off the others and the interviewers well. Hope I got this one!
Sounds promising and looking forward to a post in a bolded huge font that you got "The Call!" A couple of blanks on the test is no problem as it's only about proving in person you can get in the neighborhood of your online test score. It is out of your hands now and the phone either rings or it does not. The timing is good to have so much of S36 casting yet to be completed.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:03 pm I was at the Columbus audition today. I think I did well on the test even though I had a couple blanks. I interviewed to the best of my ability and played off the others and the interviewers well. Hope I got this one!
How did they run the interview? Did they ask about your 5 stories?

In 2017 they asked:
  1. Tell me about yourself
  2. What do you do for fun
  3. Win a lot of $, what would you do?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 pm
How did they run the interview? Did they ask about your 5 stories?

In 2017 they asked:
  1. Tell me about yourself
  2. What do you do for fun
  3. Win a lot of $, what would you do?
Pretty much how it went, yes.
espnjordan

Post by espnjordan »

Other than being on the show, is there anything someone could do to make them ineligible for
an audition??
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

espnjordan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:28 am Other than being on the show, is there anything someone could do to make them ineligible for
an audition??
1. You have a criminal record.
2. You personally know someone who works for the show (or SONY).
3. You have appeared on another game show very recently.
4. You are under 18 years old.

However, I doubt any of these apply to you.
Douglas Squasoni
immaf

Post by immaf »

I also think you are ineligible if you are running for public office.
Teems with quiet fun.