Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Trivianationals
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by Trivianationals »

Regarding the Jeopardy tryout at Trivia Nationals, I would say the only difference between TN and a regular tryout is that they are anticipating a higher pass rate among test-takers. So they have planned for that in terms of how many people they are expecting to process through the interview/mock game portion of the auditions. My sense is that they are hoping to add a lot of strong contestants to their pool, and that's why they are coming. I just posted on the Trivia Nationals Facebook group, that I am soliciting questions to be put to the panel for discussion. The panellists are executive producer Maggie Speak, one of the staff writers, and a couple former Jeopardy champs. The topic is "How to be a Successful J! Contestant", which would encompass both how to get on the show, and how to win once you get there. Maggie said no topic is off limits, so if there's anything you would like to know, I am going to curate some questions in advance. If you'd like to submit one, email it to info@trivianationals.org with "Jeopardy Panel" as the subject. You don't have to be going to Trivia Nationals to submit a question. I'm hoping to get some really interesting questions to spark a lively discussion, so fire away. You can ask for your name to be read with the question, or to be withheld, or submit it anonymously.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Trivianationals wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:13 pm Regarding the Jeopardy tryout at Trivia Nationals, I would say the only difference between TN and a regular tryout is that they are anticipating a higher pass rate among test-takers. So they have planned for that in terms of how many people they are expecting to process through the interview/mock game portion of the auditions. My sense is that they are hoping to add a lot of strong contestants to their pool, and that's why they are coming. I just posted on the Trivia Nationals Facebook group, that I am soliciting questions to be put to the panel for discussion. The panellists are executive producer Maggie Speak, one of the staff writers, and a couple former Jeopardy champs. The topic is "How to be a Successful J! Contestant", which would encompass both how to get on the show, and how to win once you get there. Maggie said no topic is off limits, so if there's anything you would like to know, I am going to curate some questions in advance. If you'd like to submit one, email it to info@trivianationals.org with "Jeopardy Panel" as the subject. You don't have to be going to Trivia Nationals to submit a question. I'm hoping to get some really interesting questions to spark a lively discussion, so fire away. You can ask for your name to be read with the question, or to be withheld, or submit it anonymously.
We are all looking forward to seeing Wayne from the Columbus audition on the show real soon, when are you planning on calling him?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeopardyfan4321

Post by jeopardyfan4321 »

Have there been any updates about the possible auditions being held in New York that Austin Rogers mentioned in his podcast?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Tonight I attended Austin Rogers's pub trivia night in NYC. While there, I asked him about his previous announcement about the J! audition. He said he's still in contact with the producers about it, but it looks like sometime in late August. The interviews will follow his pub quiz (which is held on Wednesday nights). He added that Maggie will be there.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Just got word from a pub quiz teammate that a former pub quiz teammate of theirs got an email today re. audition in Chicago August 24th.
dwallz

Post by dwallz »

Yup Chicago Auditions August 24th!

I got invite...also for the front page I got a 42 on the test.
carameljawn

Post by carameljawn »

August 23rd here. Don't remember test score, but I think it was low-mid 40s. First audition since 2015 in Boston, and 2005 (?) in Cleveland for the college auditions.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

And, as ever, the universe has a personal vendetta against me.
jeopardyfan4321

Post by jeopardyfan4321 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:55 pm Tonight I attended Austin Rogers's pub trivia night in NYC. While there, I asked him about his previous announcement about the J! audition. He said he's still in contact with the producers about it, but it looks like sometime in late August. The interviews will follow his pub quiz (which is held on Wednesday nights). He added that Maggie will be there.
Thank you so much for sharing this information! I hope it will be open to the public and will be the full audition process (not just interviews).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Another concern I have is that most of my friends who've won on Wheel seem to have zero luck auditioning for other games, as opposed to those who went on Wheel but lost.

I submitted auditions to Press Your Luck, Card Sharks, and The $100,000 Pyramid earlier this year and heard nothing back, much like many of my fellow Wheel winners. Will Jeopardy! not hold that against me since they're a sister show?
espnjordan

Post by espnjordan »

I got an Audition in 2009, but not since despite regularly scoring between 35-43 on the Online Test

Even got 49 in 2018 but no audition

My girlfriend took the online test 3 times since 2013 and has
gotten auditions all 3 times

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any clue what the heck could be going on?

I am getting kinda frustrated
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am I got an Audition in 2009, but not since despite regularly scoring between 35-43 on the Online Test

When you sign up for the test, you also choose a home audition city. Everyone who passes the test and chooses the same audition city goes into a random drawing to get the audition.

There are many frustrated here not getting auditions, while others seem to get them regularly...some are luckier than others.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am My girlfriend took the online test 3 times since 2013 and has

I am truly of the belief that the audition selection is not actually random, as they allege.

I am also female, and have gotten auditions out of both tests I took and passed, and have been in the pool almost continually now since 2017. In both auditions I have been to, when they asked if anyone had auditioned before, only female hands went up with one or 2 exceptions. I believe the number of female test takers/passers is considerably lower than the number of males, however of the auditions I have been to, one was nearly 50/50, and the other was 3:1 female. I believe the audition selection process probably discriminates by gender to get an equal amount of women, since the show itself needs to be roughly 50/50. Like there are two pools: male passers, and female passers, and then there are random selections from each of those pools. But nobody will ever know what really goes on.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 am
espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am My girlfriend took the online test 3 times since 2013 and has

I am truly of the belief that the audition selection is not actually random, as they allege.

I am also female, and have gotten auditions out of both tests I took and passed, and have been in the pool almost continually now since 2017. In both auditions I have been to, when they asked if anyone had auditioned before, only female hands went up with one or 2 exceptions. I believe the number of female test takers/passers is considerably lower than the number of males, however of the auditions I have been to, one was nearly 50/50, and the other was 3:1 female. I believe the audition selection process probably discriminates by gender to get an equal amount of women, since the show itself needs to be roughly 50/50. Like there are two pools: male passers, and female passers, and then there are random selections from each of those pools. But nobody will ever know what really goes on.
that is certainly possible, but isn't the male/female portion of the registration process only in the past (maybe) two years?
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 am
that is certainly possible, but isn't the male/female portion of the registration process only in the past (maybe) two years?
Hmmm good point. Possibly? Can’t quite remember now but I think it was for both tests I took, which would go back to 2016 at least.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 am
Hmmm good point. Possibly? Can’t quite remember now but I think it was for both tests I took, which would go back to 2016 at least.
I'm pretty sure that was added after the revamped version of the signup, which was after the Sony/China incident and after Canadian people were excluded.

I remember prior to that having to point out how there was no way J could identify race/gender as when you signed up they only had an email address and your DOB (IIRC, that was it).

Right now, I don't remember DOB on the current version of the registration, but there is gender and they can easily have different random drawings to get the ratio of male/female they would like to see.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

espnjordan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 am I got an Audition in 2009, but not since despite regularly scoring between 35-43 on the Online Test

Same, with my one chance coming in 2011.

I promise I'm actually interesting now.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Do you know what her scores were?
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm still cautiously optimistic about my chances. I know I can bring my A-game since I've done this before and I know how to sell myself as a contestant. Anyone think I can nail this on my first try?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:34 pm I'm still cautiously optimistic about my chances. I know I can bring my A-game since I've done this before and I know how to sell myself as a contestant. Anyone think I can nail this on my first try?
Depends. How well did you do on the written test?
Douglas Squasoni