Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:00 am

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Le Master » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 pm

JyV92 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm
gnash wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am
Cumulative Coryat after 10 games: Ken 292,000, James 290,000. (I believe #3 is Matt Jackson with 250,200.)

If you counted correct answers and first buzzes today, you can update the following:

Cumulative total correct answers after 9 games: Ken 301, James 292. (Ken had 40 in his game 10, so I'm pretty sure he's still ahead.)

Cumulative first buzzes after 9 games: Ken 278, James 270. (Ken had 37 in his game 10.) (I believe #3 after 9 games is Joon Pahk with 234, achieved in 8 games. #4 is Arthur Chu with 230, #5 is Matt Jackson with 229. James was trailing Joon after 8 games, BTW. Ken had 252 in his first 8 games.)

(Fun fact: At 5 games mark, Jerome Vered beats both Ken and James on all three measures.)
Fun fact

Hooray me.

I don't know who keeps these records or figures this out but what an ego boost thank you so much.

Jamie has been thinking about strategies for jeopardy for several years now. It's great that it's working out for him.
Are you able to expand on that at all? For example, discussions you’ve had with him in the past regarding developing a strategy or discussions you know he’s had with others.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8148
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Golf wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:00 pm
I could be mistaken, but I believe it's against board policy to post what has happened after the game that this thread discusses. That way people who are behind in watching have the ability to read the thread once they have watched the game, like you, without being spoiled about future games. It's OK to discuss what has happened prior to this game however.
You are correct. I have removed the specific sentences.

JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JyV92 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Le Master wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 pm
JyV92 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm
gnash wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am
Cumulative Coryat after 10 games: Ken 292,000, James 290,000. (I believe #3 is Matt Jackson with 250,200.)

If you counted correct answers and first buzzes today, you can update the following:

Cumulative total correct answers after 9 games: Ken 301, James 292. (Ken had 40 in his game 10, so I'm pretty sure he's still ahead.)

Cumulative first buzzes after 9 games: Ken 278, James 270. (Ken had 37 in his game 10.) (I believe #3 after 9 games is Joon Pahk with 234, achieved in 8 games. #4 is Arthur Chu with 230, #5 is Matt Jackson with 229. James was trailing Joon after 8 games, BTW. Ken had 252 in his first 8 games.)

(Fun fact: At 5 games mark, Jerome Vered beats both Ken and James on all three measures.)
Fun fact

Hooray me.

I don't know who keeps these records or figures this out but what an ego boost thank you so much.

Jamie has been thinking about strategies for jeopardy for several years now. It's great that it's working out for him.
Are you able to expand on that at all? For example, discussions you’ve had with him in the past regarding developing a strategy or discussions you know he’s had with others.
We didn't go into much detail. It was a Facebook messenger chat back in 2013. I asked him what he was up to and he said, among other things, he had been working already up to a year on developing a strategy to break records on Jeopardy. I have the chat on my phone still. That's all.

User avatar
waynomo
Contributor
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by waynomo » Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am

Why is this game being referred to as a perfect game for James Holzhauer? Yes, he answered 41 out of 41 correctly, but there have been other games with no wrong answers on his part and I see no reference to perfect for those. I've searched the web and I looked for the reference in this thread and could find none.

User avatar
waynomo
Contributor
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by waynomo » Sat May 25, 2019 12:33 am

/Bump Anybody?

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 am

waynomo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:33 am
/Bump Anybody?
I've no dog in this fight, or skin in this game, or (cliche ad nauseum, ad infinitum), but are you waging a strawman war? At least my control-F doesn't show the word "perfect" in any of the previous thread postings. That may be why you are getting no explanation - nobody here has made this claim. If they (strawman reference) didn't stake this claim, I doubt if they want to re-read all the thread content of an old game (by now). Our mods like to keep daily threads current.

Apologies if I am blatantly wrong, and no need to correct my standing, as I actually have none. In general, the boardies here are not indifferent, but likewise are not confrontational. I actually am indifferent, but wish not to be provocative :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Sat May 25, 2019 11:37 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 am
...I actually am indifferent, but wish not to be provocative....
Your new avatar, if not provocative, is open to interpretation.
OCSam

User avatar
waynomo
Contributor
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by waynomo » Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 am
I've no dog in this fight, or skin in this game, or (cliche ad nauseum, ad infinitum), but are you waging a strawman war? At least my control-F doesn't show the word "perfect" in any of the previous thread postings. That may be why you are getting no explanation - nobody here has made this claim. If they (strawman reference) didn't stake this claim, I doubt if they want to re-read all the thread content of an old game (by now). Our mods like to keep daily threads current.

Apologies if I am blatantly wrong, and no need to correct my standing, as I actually have none. In general, the boardies here are not indifferent, but likewise are not confrontational. I actually am indifferent, but wish not to be provocative :lol:
Sorry no straw man. I wasn't referencing anything in this thread. However, online there where several references to this game as a perfect game including

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-ho ... 05e3ed9686

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26 ... rfect-game

Those articles and others where referencing this game. That's why I put it in this thread.

Why is this being called a perfect game?

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Mon May 27, 2019 12:16 pm

waynomo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am
Sorry no straw man. I wasn't referencing anything in this thread. However, online there where several references to this game as a perfect game including

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-ho ... 05e3ed9686

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26 ... rfect-game

Those articles and others where referencing this game. That's why I put it in this thread.

Why is this being called a perfect game?
You'd probably have better luck asking the writers of those pieces than here, then; who knows what criteria they were using?

Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:49 am

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Caboom » Mon May 27, 2019 12:20 pm

waynomo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am
Sorry no straw man. I wasn't referencing anything in this thread. However, online there where several references to this game as a perfect game including

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-ho ... 05e3ed9686

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26 ... rfect-game

Those articles and others where referencing this game. That's why I put it in this thread.

Why is this being called a perfect game?
Obviously because he broke the one day record and had no wrong answers. Whether that qualifies it as a "perfect" game depends on what you'd call perfect.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Mon May 27, 2019 3:31 pm

waynomo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 am
At least my control-F doesn't show the word "perfect" in any of the previous thread postings. That may be why you are getting no explanation - nobody here has made this claim.
Sorry no straw man. I wasn't referencing anything in this thread. However, online there where several references to this game as a perfect game including

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-ho ... 05e3ed9686

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26 ... rfect-game

Those articles and others where referencing this game. That's why I put it in this thread.

Why is this being called a perfect game?
I inadvertently repeated your original comment about the absence of the claim in this thread (below) :oops:
waynomo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am
Why is this game being referred to as a perfect game for James Holzhauer? Yes, he answered 41 out of 41 correctly, but there have been other games with no wrong answers on his part and I see no reference to perfect for those. I've searched the web and I looked for the reference in this thread and could find none.
At least now the peanut gallery knows what your question is about - and so far just smh's.

For OrangeSam, of course my new avatar is an actual picture of my Senior Olympics vault taken with the best 10 pixel digital camera technology of the time. Several images were combined just like they made that black hole photo recently :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Post Reply