FJs for the 4/15/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/15/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:47 pm

Living people are rarely seen on a stamp, but in July 1945 the USPS issued one depicting this military event
73%
In 2014 this 10,000-square-mile region moved its clocks forward 2 hours to Moscow Standard Time
64%
His first name refers to the ancient district in which you'd find the Greek capital; his surname is a bird
49%
During his years with the Justice League of America, this superhero sometimes used the secret identity "C. King"
69%
A “VI” has followed these 3 royal names of English kings
74%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
5 JEFFS $1000: Balloons & basketballs are part of the art of this Jeff whose sculptures have sold for over $50 million
36%
TROUBLE IN RIVER CITY $2000: Herodotus said this river originated near Feneos in Greece; Dante placed in the fifth circle
80%
BATTLE ROYALE $2000: At this battle soon-to-be King William I conquered King Harold
81%
Siberia was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
18%
I solved the Wednesday FJ! clue more from the Greek capital angle.
15%
I solved the Wednesday FJ! clue more from the bird surname angle.
24%
I did not get Henry for the Friday FJ! clue.
4%
I did not get Edward for the Friday FJ! clue.
15%
I did not get George for the Friday FJ! clue.
13%

Total votes: 119

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: FJs for the 4/15/19 week

Post by JayK33 »

I got Monday's right. After that I was too distracted by James' run so I didn't play the rest of the week.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

VE-day, probably would have thought July would be too quick for Suribachi "event".
Ichabod Crane - mentally drunk walked the category into the 1800's
I wonder if anybody got Aquaman by actually knowing the factoid? He's mostly known to me by being the butt of jokes on SNL, etc..
Got the Henry gimme, the Edward with confidence, and the George by hunch knowing III wasn't last.
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:02 pm I've largely stopped paying attention to current events altogether since Trump got elected, just for my own sanity.
Agree, but I still try to keep the filter in place and scan google news headlines. There's mostly stories about mock outrage and not the actual event. We used to unwind watching Daily Show or Colbert's monologues but cannot stand the constant exposure to agent Orange. In this case, it's not funny because it's true :(.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Friday's miss was a bit embarrassing. Knew there were at least 8 Henrys (thanks to the many wives), and recalled George VI as being the current Queen's father. I completely forgot about the Queen's uncle, Edward VI, who abdicated, putting her in line to become Queen. Guessed WIlliam, since I knew there were more than a couple, hoping there were at least 6.
--Peter
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm Friday's miss was a bit embarrassing. Knew there were at least 8 Henrys (thanks to the many wives), and recalled George VI as being the current Queen's father. I completely forgot about the Queen's uncle, Edward VI, who abdicated, putting her in line to become Queen. Guessed WIlliam, since I knew there were more than a couple, hoping there were at least 6.
Edward VIII for the abdication and J! likes to also ask about Edward VII who followed after Victoria's death. Edward VI goes all the way back to 1500s.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:52 pm Edward VIII for the abdication and J! likes to also ask about Edward VII who followed after Victoria's death. Edward VI goes all the way back to 1500s.
:oops: :oops:

What's a couple of II's between friends?
--Peter
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Do you mean a couple of I's?
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Went straight to Artemis Fowl, and it seemed to fit so well that I stopped there. Turns out that's (just barely) 21st century anyway.
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

:mrgreen: (duh) :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Was thinking Crimea but must admit Chechnya was the word that came to mind in the studio. Glad it wasn't my game.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

345353435433554555445132*3*4354253
*out of 4
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:52 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm Friday's miss was a bit embarrassing. Knew there were at least 8 Henrys (thanks to the many wives), and recalled George VI as being the current Queen's father. I completely forgot about the Queen's uncle, Edward VI, who abdicated, putting her in line to become Queen. Guessed WIlliam, since I knew there were more than a couple, hoping there were at least 6.
Edward VIII for the abdication and J! likes to also ask about Edward VII who followed after Victoria's death. Edward VI goes all the way back to 1500s.
And because nobody else got it from the cigar angle (and nobody asked:):
Spoiler
History of King Edward Brand

King Edward VII took the reign from Queen Victoria in 1901. Even as he is remembered for being the king, his decision to lift the ban on smoking shall forever accompany his name in history. His immortal words, “Gentlemen, you may smoke” ring fresh in the minds of cigar lovers across the world. King Edward VII was a legendary tobacco lover. He supported a 12-cigar and 20-cigarette a day habit for most of his adult life. Swisher International Group began to develop and finally released a cigar brand named after their beloved King Edward VII in 1918. The King Edward VII Imperial Cigars and King Edward VII Invincible Cigars took the market by storm. English natives, to this day, prefer the King Edwards Cigars which speaks to the quality considering all the Cuban cigars available in their market.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I had Atticus Finch 8 words into the clue, before I even got to reading the bird part.