Wednesday, April 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7978, 2019-04-24

James Holzhauer game 15.

CONTESTANTS
Wayne Erxleben, an engineer from Fort Wayne, Indiana
Silvija Ozols, a copy editor from Astoria, New York
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 14-day cash winnings total $1,061,554)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Let's face it. I'm starting to run out of superlatives to describe our current champion, James. He has developed a very loyal fan following among Jeopardy! viewers, but, James, don't take this as a negative: there are also people out there who think you've won enough. Your winning days should come to an end. And as a matter of fact, two of them are standing right next to you. Silvija and Wayne. Let's see if they can make it happen. Good luck to all three, though. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE AM I? (5/5)
SNAKE, BIRD OR MONKEY (5/5)
CAR TALK (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WOMEN ON TV (5/5)
TIME CAPSULE TIME (5/5)
GIVE ME A "MINUTE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Silvija: 6 R, 0 W
Wayne: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $8,600
Silvija: $1,000
Wayne: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Wayne Erxleben is an engineer from Indiana who plays in two bands. And I wanna know if you had something to do with naming those bands.

Wayne: Yes, I did.

Alex: What are they called?

Wayne: Yes. One is just a duo, and it's called String Theory, because my bandmate has a degree in physics. And the other one is a four-piece band called Yo-Yo Pa in honor of Yo-Yo Ma, because we have a cello in the band.

Alex: And Yo-Yo Ma was taken already.

Wayne: Right.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Silvija Ozols from Astoria, New York. A copy editor who was supposed to be performing Latvian dances where?

Silvija: At Madison Square Garden.

Alex: And did it happen?

Silvija: Unfortunately not. My Lativan folk dancing troupe was booked to perform on Latvian Heritage Night in honor of the Knicks player Kristaps Porzingis.

Alex: Yeah.

Silvija: And on the day of our first rehearsal, it was announced that he'd been traded.

Alex: Traded? Oh.

Silvija: So we were all very disappointed.

Alex: Boo hiss on the Knicks.

Silvija: I know.

Alex: All right, James. Over the past couple of days and last week also, you happened to mention your parents. What does your success on our program mean for them financially?

James: Well, I think my family is doing okay already, so, you know, try not to put too many handouts out there guys. But you know, I'd like to give some money to some children's charities in the Las Vegas area. They could really use the help more than the Holzhauer clan.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. James had $9,200, Silvija had $1,600, and Wayne was at $1,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $9,200.

CAR TALK $800: The 2015 50th anniversary edition of this pony car was limited to a production run of 1,964

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CAR TALK $1000: Introduced in the 1980s, this Ferrari model has a name that means "red head"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $20,000
Silvija: $3,200
Wayne: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POSSESSIVE BOOK TITLES (5/5)
ROMAN NAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE CENTRAL (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SMORGAS-WORD (4/5)
WHAT DAY IS THAT SONG? (5/5)
GROSS CONFESSIONS (5/5) (Alex: People interviewed by Terry Gross of NPR's Fresh Air.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 20 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Wayne: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Silvija: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Wayne snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. James had $18,400, Silvija had $3,200, and Wayne was at $2,200. Wayne made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

SCIENCE CENTRAL $1200: The nucleolus is really central as the most prominent structure in the nucleus of this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. James had $24,000, Silvija had $3,200, and Wayne was at $6,800. James wagered $10,021.

ROMAN NAMES $800: If Libertus were part of your name, you were previously one of these

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE CENTRAL $1600: In 1916 the great chemist Gilbert Lewis called the central part of an atom this, a word we use for the seed in an apricot pit
(James: What is stone?)

SMORGAS-WORD $2000: Almost before & after:
"Ne m'oubliez pas" flowers bloom as a "Dallas" TV spinoff

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $49,621 (lock game)
Wayne: $12,400
Silvija: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC NICKNAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $24,820 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Wayne: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,599 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Silvija: You've no hope of catching up... unless Wayne does something stupid. So risk $2,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This term for an area of the Atlantic originated in 1964 in Argosy, a pulp magazine

FINAL SCORES
Silvija: $2,400 + $0 = $2,400 (What is the Bermuda △?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Wayne: $12,400 + $7,599 = $19,999 (What is the Bermuda Triangle?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $49,621 + $24,000 = $73,621 (What is Bermuda Triangle Hi Benjamin) (15-day champion: $1,135,175)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $32,000, 37 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Wayne: $11,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Silvija: $2,400, 7 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $45,800

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 38/60 = .633
Wayne: 14/59 = .237
Silvija: 8/58 = .138
Team: 60/63 = .952

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHERE AM I? $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm at the Estonian Open Air Museum in this capital city

WHERE AM I? $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm here on this spectacular island, the largest in all of French Polynesia

WHERE AM I? $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm in the Nyhavn area of this capital--it looks like a fairy tale setting, & fairy tales like "The Princess and the Pea" were written here

WHERE AM I? $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm outside South Africa's oldest building, the Castle of Good Hope in this city, named for its location on a peninsula

WOMEN ON TV $800: This Oscar-nominated actress plays a dedicated mom on "Speechless"

WOMEN ON TV $600: In 2018 she became the new permanent co-anchor of the "Today" show

CAR TALK $600: I'd like to ride coast to coast in this classic Lincoln model

WHERE AM I? $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm at the Shuvalov Palace, now home to the Fabergé Museum in this city that was called Leningrad from 1924 to 1991

GROSS CONFESSIONS $2000: This "In the Night Kitchen" author was childless, but would've preferred a daughter; "if I had a son, I'd leave him at the A & P"
(Silvija: [No response])

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Mustang
the Testarossa
a cell
a slave
the kernel
forget-me-Knots Landing
the Bermuda Triangle
Tallinn
Tahiti
Copenhagen
Cape Town
Minnie Driver
(Hoda) Kotb
Continental
St. Petersburg
Maurice Sendak
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC NICKNAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This term for an area of the Atlantic originated in 1964 in Argosy, a pulp magazine

James Holzhauer: 49601+24000=73621 (15x = $1,135,175)
Silvija Ozols: 2400+0=2400
Wayne Erxleben: 12400+7599=19999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bermuda Triangle (James added Hi Benjamin) (Silvija drew the shape of a triangle instead of writing the word.)

Daily Doubles
James; 9200+9200
Wayne: 2200+2200
James: 24000+10021

Coryats
James: 32000
Silvija: 2400
Wayne: 11400

Combined: 45,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 20000
Silvija: 3200
Wayne: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's one for cheezguyty and his research powers:

James ran WHAT DAY IS THAT SONG? going from bottoms up from 2000 to 400. Anyone else have that feat in their book of accomplishments?

Wayne kept one DD away from James though not nearly enough to affect the result. Wayne had a tactical error in calling another clue in a category in which a DD had already been played. Tsk tsk as a player cannot do that one. Players might be wise to follow the lead of James and continue play in whatever category he is keying on for selections.

The FJ! clue had me with James for less than 100% certainty. It seemed the best guess so I survived a category that did not look inviting.

That's hilarious that James "only" won $73,621 and that amount lowered his daily average. :o
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am Wayne kept one DD away from James though not nearly enough to affect the result. Wayne had a tactical error in calling another clue in a category in which a DD had already been played. Tsk tsk as a player cannot do that one.
I literally shouted “no!!” every time Wayne went back to the science category. With the extreme pressure James has everyone up against (in addition to the obvious pressure of being on tv) the instinct to try to build up some money in a category you think you know a lot about has to be compelling though.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

James is going to have to come back to the field a bit in order to be beaten; I can't see him losing a game in which he has a Coryat anywhere near his current average of $29,907.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am James is going to have to come back to the field a bit in order to be beaten; I can't see him losing a game in which he has a Coryat anywhere near his current average of $29,907.
Nothing against James or your opinion and just playing a little Monday morning quarterbacking:

DD3 was in an $800 box so likely takes longer to uncover.
It's not unreasonable to pretend Wayne finds it.
Let's say Wayne had $10,000 when he uncovers it and doubles up to $20,000 for the FJ! round.
Let's take away the $10,021 from James that he gained on DD3 to give him $39,600 for the FJ! round.
James now does not have a lock for the FJ! clue.
James can hear the light pens moving quickly by his opponents.
James panics and does not solve the FJ! clue correctly.

Not what happened though it is a scenario for James owning the game and still losing.

I agree that James has given no indication of completely falling apart and losing by being thoroughly outplayed.

Perhaps he can make a Las Vegas Golden Knights mistake and do something to fire up an opponent the way the Sharks woke up after the game misconduct last night.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm Perhaps he can make a Las Vegas Golden Knights mistake and do something to fire up an opponent the way the Sharks woke up after the gift from the referees.
fixed that for you ;)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am James is going to have to come back to the field a bit in order to be beaten; I can't see him losing a game in which he has a Coryat anywhere near his current average of $29,907.
Nothing against James or your opinion and just playing a little Monday morning quarterbacking:

DD3 was in an $800 box so likely takes longer to uncover.
It's not unreasonable to pretend Wayne finds it.
Let's say Wayne had $10,000 when he uncovers it and doubles up to $20,000 for the FJ! round.
Let's take away the $10,021 from James that he gained on DD3 to give him $39,600 for the FJ! round.
James now does not have a lock for the FJ! clue.
James can hear the light pens moving quickly by his opponents.
James panics
and does not solve the FJ! clue correctly.

Not what happened though it is a scenario for James owning the game and still losing.

I agree that James has given no indication of completely falling apart and losing by being thoroughly outplayed.
I agree in broad outlines that this is a likely scenario for how James eventually loses, but I disagree that it would be precipitated by James panicking. He's shown time and again that he's very calm and composed, and he doesn't get rattled. But he's already missed 1 FJ and he'll miss others if he's around long enough; eventually he'll get another one where he just doesn't know the pertinent underlying facts, or can't connect the dots in 30 seconds; and maybe the second-place player can -- but in a scenario that, as in your hypothetical, is merely a crush game even with James putting up another gaudy Coryat score. Of course, we could be waiting a long time for the alignment of non-runaway with W R on FJ.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I instagot Bermuda Triangle. Did you?

So I'm not really going to stop watching until James loses like I said in yesterday's thread. :roll:

Wayne tried valiantly but with James finding two of the three Daily Doubles and getting them right, he had no chance. Wayne was lucky enough to find a daily double but didn't have enough money to make it a threat.

But today I kept track of the clues that I have to believe all three of the contestants knew but which James successfully weighed in on, to illustrate his prowess (and perhaps unfair advantage) on the signaling device.

Read minutes
Minutemen
Copenhagen
Cassette
Two-minute warning
Continental
Volkswagen
Murphy Brown
Epicenter
Regression to the mean
Spartacus
Ruby Tuesday
Cardiac
Simulcast
Acoustic
Gulliver's Travels
Carrier Fisher

You don't have to agree with me but I am of the opinion that anyone who is able to pass the online written test with at least 75% and then do a similar score on the in-person written test and survive the practice game would know all of those Clues.

Even Alex agrees that there's a certain sameness to the games.

And today we learned that James isn't planning on giving his family a lot of handouts.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I ran the "Minute" and Snake/Bird/Monkey categories, got all but the bottom in Car Talk and Smorgasword, but I was 0/5 in Roman Names and Gross Confessions.

TV was tough. I know a few things about MTM, but "Laura Petrie" is not one of them. That clue seemed rather generational for the top box.

Didn't recognize $800 or $1,200 in the Day Songs but I got the other 3.

No guess on FJ! I just couldn't think of any oceanic features whatsoever and hit a brick wall.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Lach trash on Testerossa.

I had to wonder if "cell" was all that DD wanted or if it was a more specific type. That was an easy clue, as was "regression to the mean" at the bottom.

I had Sargasso Sea for FJ. And I thought that Silvija's drawing looked more like a trapezoid.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

So I instinctively said Wilt Chamberlain when the clue read "the stilt". Bird, monkey or snake???
:lol:
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

Thought on Wayne's tactics: finding the final DD as quickly as possible is not necessarily the winning idea. You also have to have enough ammo ($) to make it count. With a category where you appear to have an advantage, picking up that money may be your best chance at actually winning.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am James ran WHAT DAY IS THAT SONG? going from bottoms up from 2000 to 400. Anyone else have that feat in their book of accomplishments?
Not me, but I did it in the 1200-1600-2000-800-400 order. They named the category "the body human", so going in weird order was appropriate, I think.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:01 pm I ran the "Minute" and Snake/Bird/Monkey categories, got all but the bottom in Car Talk and Smorgasword, but I was 0/5 in Roman Names and Gross Confessions.

TV was tough. I know a few things about MTM, but "Laura Petrie" is not one of them. That clue seemed rather generational for the top box.

No guess on FJ! I just couldn't think of any oceanic features whatsoever and hit a brick wall.
for once i agree with you...don't believe that should have been a top box clue either
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

silverpie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm Thought on Wayne's tactics: finding the final DD as quickly as possible is not necessarily the winning idea. You also have to have enough ammo ($) to make it count. With a category where you appear to have an advantage, picking up that money may be your best chance at actually winning.
i can agree with you on that, but on the other hand if the champion got it, it was definitely game over...so the arthur chu approach would work here
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thoroughly joyless affairs.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:01 pm I ran the "Minute" and Snake/Bird/Monkey categories, got all but the bottom in Car Talk and Smorgasword, but I was 0/5 in Roman Names and Gross Confessions.

for once i agree with you...don't believe that should have been a top box clue either
The part about "turning the world on with her smile" is a huge TOM for MTM, along with the fact that not all that many women have had eponymous TV shows.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am Here's one for cheezguyty and his research powers:
James ran WHAT DAY IS THAT SONG? going from bottoms up from 2000 to 400. Anyone else have that feat in their book of accomplishments?
I'm guessing this is the first. I think there will be a lot of these. I waited for the applause and it didn't come. When we saw a taping day in December '17, Johnny informed us to be ready to applaud for a cat run and a made DD. I wondered if they would prompt for applause for a non-consecutive category run. I haven't been able to keep them straight, but this might be the first time he's stayed put for as many as four clues. Did he call 5 in a row, or was the $2K called earlier?

Holzhauer fatigue has already set in and he's only been in the studio 4 days. What will it be like by 2023? Nobody will test for the show? My 34 on the test will get me in :). Introducing redshirt number 10,014 or whatever damn birthday James is betting.

While we tried to make sense of the FJ category before clue was shown, twelvefootgirl asked "like the Bermuda Triangle"? Kind of a pre-call, and I couldn't think of a different example except "The Big Easy" for New Orleans, and I didn't really think it would be a political unit of geography. I was surprised at the tri-get, but can't think of anything else.

I got it, but didn't know what Testarossa meant. I assumed it had something to do with testosterone and compensating :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.