FJs for the 4/22/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/22/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 pm

In a poem Lord Byron, a lover of Greece, calls this diplomat & fellow lord a "plunderer"
42%
On May 1, 1869 these 2 men met at the White House, 4 years & 3 weeks after a more historic meeting between them
89%
This term for an area of the Atlantic originated in 1964 in Argosy, a pulp magazine
90%
Oddly, mining of this rare earth element with a geographic name, atomic no. 63, is mostly in Asia & with some in South America & Australia
54%
The title character of this 1841 novel says he got his name because he kills bucks & does, but not people
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
21%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
MERCURY $1000: Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury was born on this island of Tanzania
62%
POSSESSIVE BOOK TITLES $2000: This work by Norman Mailer tells of convicted killer Gary Gilmore, who chose death by firing squad
54%
ICONIC PAINTINGS $2000: Salvador Dali portrayed the real cliffs of Catalonia with the dreamlike image of melting watches in this 1931 painting
68%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I had one of Grant or Lee though not both.
6%
If the Thursday FJ! clue had been in its entirety, “Atomic no. 63” I could have solved it correctly.
5%
Americium was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
14%
I missed the Thursday FJ! with californium or a place/person associated with California.
11%
I missed the Friday FJ! with the wrong Deer-something such as “Hunter”, “Stalker”, etc.
20%
Jeopardy! did not air at the usual time in my market on Thursday and/or Friday due to coverage of the NFL Draft.
31%

Total votes: 108

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/22/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY BRITS

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a poem Lord Byron, a lover of Greece, calls this diplomat & fellow lord a "plunderer"

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On May 1, 1869 these 2 men met at the White House, 4 years & 3 weeks after a more historic meeting between them

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC NICKNAMES

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This term for an area of the Atlantic originated in 1964 in Argosy, a pulp magazine

4/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ELEMENTS

4/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Oddly, mining of this rare earth element with a geographic name, atomic no. 63, is mostly in Asia & with some in South America & Australia

4/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NOVELS

4/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title character of this 1841 novel says he got his name because he kills bucks & does, but not people

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Lord Elgin
Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee
Bermuda Triangle
europium
The Deerslayer
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 2-3-3-1-1 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

MERCURY $1000: Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury was born on this island of Tanzania

POSSESSIVE BOOK TITLES $2000: This work by Norman Mailer tells of convicted killer Gary Gilmore, who chose death by firing squad

ICONIC PAINTINGS $2000: Salvador Dali portrayed the real cliffs of Catalonia with the dreamlike image of melting watches in this 1931 painting

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Zanzibar
The Executioner’s Song
The Persistence of Memory
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/22/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess for the element after I eliminated Americium and all things California.
J! aired later than normal on both Thursday and Friday. That’s okay since it aired at 9:30 each morning in Montgomery, Alabama. 😉
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I initially thought americium, but then I realized the word "America" was in the clue and escaped my continent.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Misread "after" as "before" on Tuesday and got stuck without a guess.

Wednesday should've been a get, but I was just completely at sea.

I knew the name of the clock painting but couldn't pull it in time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Germanium on Thursday. Didn't pick up on the TOM that all the other locations mentioned were continents.
davey

Post by davey »

:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I should have remembered Mercury's birthplace since I have seen the movie. But I didn't like it much...
I tell myself that I would have remained competitive with James on a couple of these games...if my buzzer timing held up...and I kept him from DDs... :roll:
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Ytterbium. I knew Americium was not it, and never thought of europium.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Brutal FJ week.

Missed with Tennyson, Lee/Jefferson Davis, Germanium, Deer Hunter
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well that's a fine how do you do...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

M: Couldn't get it if you spotted me "E _ _ _ N"
W: Got it as most nick-namey place I could pull. Kept trying to make something out of the Tropics, however. Aside - I have read Argosy thanks to a persuasive door to door salesman and my Mom's guile. I think it was supposed to be an edgy mens' magazine.
Th: Rare earth? Asia = China, S.A. = Peru, Australia is a country and I blew right through the easy continent TOM. Picked Holmium as most credible geographic, didn't think of Europium. The boardie who knows the name from the Z number probably knows the 15th digit of pi :roll:

Tanzania has an island? In Cold Blood - nope? Maybe have heard the name of the Dali pic, no idea about the cliffs. No issue with TV schedule.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

So close to a perfect week, but I flubbed the title of the Cooper novel, guessing The Deer Stalker.

Although I correctly solved the "europium" FJ, its atomic number was of no help to me in getting there.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

No guess Monday.
Zanzibar came to me a moment too late.
Just the atomic number would not have been enough Thursday.
I assume there was no interruption to normal airing schedule because of the draft because it airs mid-afternoon here. But I've only played the last few games from J-Archive.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I clicked on being able to get it by atomic number alone on Thursday, though I'm not sure if 30 secs would have been enough then.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Guessed Americium, NHO Europium

Pre-empted for the draft only on Friday in the NY market
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm Wednesday should've been a get, but I was just completely at sea.
Well, that's a start :D
---------------------

I would not have gotten Europium just from 63, but I wouldn't have been sure of my response without it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday - Absolutely nothing came to mind. I thought of Lord Carnarvon, but he was 100 years too late for Lord Byron, and associated with Egypt rather than Greece.

Friday - Last of the Mohicans

Can't believe I derped The Persistence of Memory, since I've been trying to shore up art as a personal weakness in the last year.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised Lord Elgin is polling 44% and not, say, 4%. His name has only come up a couple other times before, and the last hit for him is 2006.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:54 pm I'm surprised Lord Elgin is polling 44% and not, say, 4%. His name has only come up a couple other times before, and the last hit for him is 2006.
If it makes you feel better, I had literally never heard of him before Monday.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:54 pm I'm surprised Lord Elgin is polling 44% and not, say, 4%. His name has only come up a couple other times before, and the last hit for him is 2006.
If it makes you feel better, I had literally never heard of him before Monday.
2006 is not fully accurate:

#7604, aired 2017-10-05 ARTS & SCIENCES $600: AKA the Parthenon sculptures in the British Museum, this collection of ancient Greek sculptures can't be "shot" for fun
#7174, aired 2015-11-19 MUSEUMS $400: The new museum named for this Athens hill was built in part to house the Elgin marbles, if they're ever returned
#7092, aired 2015-06-16 BRITISH HISTORY $800: Thomas Bruce, earl of this, went east to Greece to get some marbles; his son James went west & was gov.-gen. of Canada
#6638, aired 2013-06-26 STUPID ANSWERS $1000: Among the holdings of this British museum are the Elgin Marbles & the Rosetta Stone
#6327, aired 2012-03-06 MAJOR TOM $400: Thomas Bruce, Earl of this, got Turkish permission to remove Greek sculptures, or "marbles"
#6160, aired 2011-05-27 EUROPEAN NATIONALITIES $2000: The Elgin marbles helped establish this architectural style, based on 5th century B.C. works
#5166, aired 2007-02-12 BODIES OF BRONZE & MARBLE $1600: Included in the Elgin marbles are statues that once stood in the pediments of this temple in Athens

To me 44% seems about right for the clue as it's no gimme, but Elgin is not as obscure as the NHOI side may want to believe. J! has had enough repetition over the years to have helped me in 2019.