Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Ironhorse »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 pm
ACW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 pm What a STUPID rule change.
Agreed. Dumb as hell.

Maybe there was something that happened in a taping of an episode that hasn't been shown yet... something nobody anticipated. Can't imagine what, tho...
I don't think that's plausible considering James abruptly stopped his shoutouts as of today's episode. It wouldn't be possible to go back and reshoot FJ for all the episodes up to the point of the putative incident when presumably most of the contestants have already gone home.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I won’t miss the shout-outs, but I can’t think of a single instance when one was almost misinterpreted as part of the response.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
Agreed. Dumb as hell.

Maybe there was something that happened in a taping of an episode that hasn't been shown yet... something nobody anticipated. Can't imagine what, tho...
I don't think that's plausible considering James abruptly stopped his shoutouts as of today's episode. It wouldn't be possible to go back and reshoot FJ for all the episodes up to the point of the putative incident when presumably most of the contestants have already gone home.
Maybe it did happen and they edited in post so we wouldn't see the offending shout-out?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 am
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
Agreed. Dumb as hell.

Maybe it did happen and they edited in post so we wouldn't see the offending shout-out?
methinks Occam's razor applies here. Even in the compressed 4 days of taping, Alex could only recycle the joke about number of friends, etc.. so many times. Holzhauer shout-out fatigue syndrome is preventable. Just say no.

Not really likely to be related, but something that maybe prompted an overview of FJ policy for answers in general: The contestant who used a math symbol in his/her answer did expose a possible risk of the symbol being translated as the much more common use for it, to wit:
Spoiler
As much as I LOVED the Bermuda Triangle response, would you also be able to use the triangle symbol to answer for "delta"? Yeah. Thin ice there.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

My impression is that James doing shoutouts and being on for many games has caused other players to do shoutouts a bit more than usual. (I don't have any stats here.) The producers may have thought that shoutouts were now going to become the thing to do and they didn't want that. I would bet a total of 3 or 4 total shoutouts a week wouldn't bother them at all, while 10 or 12 would.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am
Spoiler
As much as I LOVED the Bermuda Triangle response, would you also be able to use the triangle symbol to answer for "delta"? Yeah. Thin ice there.
You mean like I did in the reveal for TD 386?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4730&p=285129
floridagator wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am
919 - NORTH CAROLINA

It was first in flight. Name a major scheduled airline of the United States. Or a major scheduled airline that is defunct. (A lot more are defunct than flying.)

SINGLETONS

ouachiouat (Δ)
Tybalteon (Frontier)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Remember the controversial Sgt. Pepper FJ a couple years back? I've wondered if the contestant could have saved a second by writing <3 in place of "hearts". (Of course, just Sgt Pepper would have been best according to the general consensus)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:42 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am
Spoiler
You mean like I did in the reveal for TD 386?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4730&p=285129
floridagator wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am
919 - NORTH CAROLINA

It was first in flight. Name a major scheduled airline of the United States. Or a major scheduled airline that is defunct. (A lot more are defunct than flying.)

SINGLETONS

ouachiouat (Δ)
Tybalteon (Frontier)
Yes, well played. I'm not clever enough to think of other transpositions, but an anatomy clue leading to colon (:) or a rental car company named "$" might be tempting. But for sure, I read the triangle symbol as "delta" 100% of the time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:46 pm
never understand why they don't go with the keypad...typing is faster than writing
To say nothing of the fact that you have to start your Jeopardy journey by doing an online contestant test on a keypad.
Last edited by georgespelvin on Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Even if the new rule meant that correct responses would be ruled incorrect with extraneous, not germane material, that would not completely eliminate "shout outs". As pointed out upthread, if you don't know the response and it would be incorrect anyway, there is no cost to you for the shout out.

Moreover, in a tournament situation, where the winner has a lock and doesn't keep the money won in the game, there would be no real penalty for a shout out.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.