Thursday, May 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7984, 2019-05-02

James Holzhauer game 21.

CONTESTANTS
Josh Archibald-Seiffer, a music director and pianist from Seattle, Washington
Jessica Efron Sauer, a bookkeeper from Munster, Indiana
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 20-day cash winnings total $1,528,012)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Yeah, James Holzhauer, a great player and a nice guy. And as a point of interest for all of you ladies and gentlemen who are fans of the show, should James win today--and that's not a foregone conclusion, believe me--he will then be number two in overall games won, regular games won. Ranked second only to Ken Jennings. Jessica and Josh, you don't want that to happen. You want to be--you want to be standing over there. I look at you, and I know that's what you want. So good luck to all three of you. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATE SCHOOL, THAT GREAT SCHOOL (5/5)
NONFICTION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD OF SPORT (4/5)
HEY, "B.B." (5/5)
AN EPIC (4/4)
OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Josh: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jessica: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Josh: $4,000
James: $4,000
Jessica: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our challengers on the program today are three-named individuals. Josh Archibald-Seiffer from Seattle, Washington. You're a spicy food fanatic, but I don't wanna talk about that. I wanna talk about something else. Milk Fat Fridays.

Josh: That's right. Milk Fat Fridays was a project a friend of mine--uh, excuse me, a friend of mine and I started a while ago, where we started making artisan ice creams with kind of weird flavors. Like, we tried margarita, not too weird. We did peanut butter and jelly, which is a little weird. And we tried blue cheese and port wine riven through it, so that was kind of weird.

Alex: Can you go bad if you're dealing with ice cream, really?

Josh: Well, yeah, a little bit.

[Laughter]

Alex: I won't ask about those. Thank you.

Alex: Jessica Efron Sauer is from Munster, Indiana.

Jessica: Yes.

Alex: A bookkeeper whose godfather was a famous Chicago Bears football player.

Jessica: Yes. My godfather, Revie Sorey, played for the Bears for nine years, and--

Alex: Was that in the championship era?

Jessica: He got injured right before '85.

Alex: Oh.

Jessica: But he played really hard, and he was Walter Payton's guard.

Alex: Did he play for Mike Ditka?

Jessica: He did.

Alex: He did.

Jessica: He did.

Alex: Did he tell you stories about how tough Mike was?

Jessica: Yes, I witnessed it myself.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion. We've talked about his daughter over the last couple of days, which means he's married, of course. But got married in a strange place.

James: Yeah.

Alex: In front of a waterfall?

James: Yeah, it was in a garden in Hawaii, and there was a very loud waterfall going behind us. And we could barely hear anything the officiant was saying, so we may be married, we may be not.

[Laughter]

James: We don't really know what we agreed to, but--

Alex: Wait a minute. Why did it suddenly become a problem for you to remember whether you're married or not, after you have won a million and a half dollars as a Jeopardy! champion?

[Laughter]

James: I don't know.

Alex: Okay. We won't pursue that line of conversation any more.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. James had $6,800, Jessica had $200, and Josh was at $4,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,800.

NONFICTION $600: Mark Kurlansky wrote a whole book on the history of this, "the only rock we eat"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS $400: A day's journey was around 20 miles, while the journey named for this day was less than a mile

WORLD OF SPORT $800: The 2018-19 season of auto racing's World Endurance Championship concludes with the 87th running of this event
(James: What is Paris to Dakar?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $14,800
Josh: $4,600
Jessica: $200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 04, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRICKY TRAILS (4/5)
ON THE CALENDAR (5/5)
"FOR" A SONG (4/5)
SCI-FI TECH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HOMOPHONIC VERBS (5/5)
TORY SPELLING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to spell the Tory prime minister's name.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Josh: 6 R, 0 W
Jessica: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. James had $25,600, Jessica was in the red with -$200, and Josh was at $7,000. James wagered $9,812.

SCI-FI TECH $2000: In "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", sticking a Babel fish in your ear will do this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. James had $37,012, Jessica had $600, and Josh was at $9,000. James wagered $7,000.

TORY SPELLING $1600: This 19th century Tory was nicknamed Dizzy
(Alex: Disraeli. Benjamin Disraeli.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRICKY TRAILS $1600: It takes a full day to manage this Yosemite peak
(James: What is El Capitan?)
(Jessica: Devil's Peak?)

"FOR" A SONG $1200: Zayn Malik & Taylor Swift teamed up on this song from "Fifty Shades Darker"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $51,212 (lock game)
Josh: $10,200
Jessica: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN PLAYS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $30,811 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Josh: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Jessica: You've no hope of catching up... unless Josh does something stupid. So risk $1,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A character in this 1944 play is said to be like a piece in her own collection, "too exquisitely fragile to move from the shelf"

FINAL SCORES
Jessica: $1,400 - $1,400 = $0 (What is A Doll's House?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Josh: $10,200 + $0 = $10,200 (What is The Glass Menagerie?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $51,212 + $29,403 = $80,615 (What is The Glass Menagerie?) (21-day champion: $1,608,627)
(Alex: [To Josh] By Tennessee Williams.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $31,800, 35 R (including 3 DDs), 4 W
Josh: $10,200, 13 R, 0 W
Jessica: $1,400, 6 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $43,400

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 36/61 = .590
Josh: 14/58 = .241
Jessica: 6/58 = .103
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HEY, "B.B." $200: Stove placement of lower priority items
(James: What is the bottom burner?)
(Jessica: What is the bread box?)

STATE SCHOOL, THAT GREAT SCHOOL $1000: In 1965 John Irving entered this Midwest school's prestigious writers workshop & worked with Kurt Vonnegut
(James: What is Indiana?)

OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS $800: This word refers to a currency used today in Israel, or a weight of less than an ounce in the Bible
(Jessica: What is ruble?)

WORLD OF SPORT $600: In August 2018 a Hawaiian squad beat the team of youngsters from South Korea to take this championship
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

WORLD OF SPORT $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from U.S. Bank Stadium.) Fans at U.S. Bank Stadium got thrills when ESPN brought these games to Minnesota from Austin in 2017

WORLD OF SPORT $200: In 1877 Australia beat England by 45 runs in the first test match played by international teams in this sport
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRICKY TRAILS $1200: The dangerous Hawaiian stairs here share a name with a type of poem, but there are many more than 17 steps on it

TRICKY TRAILS $2000: The temple complex at Batu Caves near this Malaysian capital can give you quite a workout

ON THE CALENDAR $2000: January 29:
Folks from Olathe to Overland Park celebrate this state's day
(James: Aren't they right next to each other?)
[Laughter]

TRICKY TRAILS $800: At Ecuador's Pailon del Diablo waterfall in these mountains, the steps might be a little slick

HOMOPHONIC VERBS $1200: Make into sets of 2 / remove an apple peel
(Josh: What is pair and...)
(Alex: Ooh.)
(Josh: Pare?)
(Alex: Yes.)
(Josh: Pare. [*].)
(Alex: You confused yourself on that.)
(Josh: I did.)

TORY SPELLING $2000: He's remembered for his 1917 "Declaration" about Palestine
(Alex: Arthur Balfour.)

TORY SPELLING $1200: Family name of the war hero better known as Wellington
(Alex: Wellesley, yes.)

TORY SPELLING $800: Tory John who succeeded Thatcher
(Alex: John Major, yes.)

TRICKY TRAILS $400: The July pilgrimage up this saint's mountain in Ireland can get tricky--at least there are no snakes

CORRECT RESPONSES
salt
Sabbath
the 24 Hours of Le Mans
translate (alien languages)
D-I-S-R-A-E-L-I
Half Dome
"I Don't Want To Live Forever"
The Glass Menagerie
the back burner
Iowa
a shekel
the Little League championship
the X Games
cricket
a haiku
Kuala Lumpur
Kansas
the Andes
pair and pare
B-A-L-F-O-U-R
W-E-L-L-E-S-L-E-Y
M-A-J-O-R
Patrick
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 04, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN PLAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A character in this 1944 play is said to be like a piece in her own collection, “too exquisitely fragile to move from the shelf”

James Holzhauer: 51212+29403=80615 (21x = $1,608,627)
Jessica Efron Sauer: 1400-1400=0
Josh Archibald: 10200+0=10200

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Glass Menagerie (Jessica – A Doll’s House)

Daily Doubles
James: 6800+6800
James: 25600+9812
James: 37012+7000

Coryats
James: 31800
Jessica: 1400
Josh: 10200

Combined: 43,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 14800
Jessica: 200
Josh: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No mention of J! (yet) on Josh's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Archibald-Seiffer

21 wins complete to get to number two. Now the long haul. 20/21 on the FJ! clues combined with excellent buzzer skill and broad board knowledge is quite formidable. Throw in the betting bravery and over 92% success rate on DDs and it's a daunting combination for any challenger.

Alex's opening had James make a funny face when the host said, "...a great player and a nice guy... ."

Credit to Josh for playing a decent J! round which included running HEY, "B.B."
That's one for cheezguyty or Andy: opponent category run comparison with James and Ken?

Jessica name-dropped her godfather: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revie_Sorey

The FJ! clue was one I could handle quickly since I knew the dots to connect of "piece", "her" and "collection" for a target where to go. Jessica went astray from the category and also missed year-wise by 65 though no biggie since 3rd was going to happen anyway.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Against Ken: Matt Ottinger ran NONFICTION and Michael Cudahy ran TAILS.
Against James: This is the first category run against him.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am 20/21 on the FJ! clues combined with excellent buzzer skill and broad board knowledge is quite formidable. Throw in the betting bravery and over 92% success rate on DDs and it's a daunting combination for any challenger.
A moment of appreciation for that crisp and cogent summary. Thank you Mark!

Some complain that this run is boring, but I'm not gonna lie, I enjoy watching these games just like I enjoyed watching every single one of Michael Jordan's fadeaway jump shots.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Jordan's team didn't win every game he played in.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Average is up to $76,601. Needs to put up a $90K drop tomorrow, which being said casually is still very weird, to put the Roger Craig record.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

The year of wow that James is earning keeps getting wowier.

How many times during his run have we been in a position to say something similar to the following: barely more than 3 weeks ago, the score he racked up today would have set an all-time record. But because it happened today, it's only the 10th-highest 1-day score of all time. The consistency with which James achieves these video game-type scores day after day is truly a wonder to behold.

I'm curious why he only wagered $7,000 on DD3, when he could have safely wagered much more and still been assured of a runaway if he missed. It seemed like the equivalent of an Arthur Chu $5 wager; perhaps James felt that the need to spell out the responses in the category increased the chances he would be tripped up.

Today's FJ was another data point in favor of the proposition that James's cash haul (but not his win total) has been padded by easier FJ's, on average, than the ones Ken faced.

In another thread that was revived today, there's been discussion of the former cap on players' winnings ($75K, later increased to $100K), with the player having to donate all monies in excess of the cap to charity. Granted, these amounts were pre-doubling. But can you imagine if James had only been allowed to keep his first $200,000 earned?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

And Roger Craig drops out of the Top 10 list for highest winning scores in a regular game. Almost unbelievable.

Josh looked like he had a shot early on but just couldn't keep it going.

I got a couple of LT off James: sabbath journey and Half Dome. No chance on The 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Three easy DDs and another easy FJ. They really need to change that for Season 36 if James is still around.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 pm And Roger Craig drops out of the Top 10 list for highest winning scores in a regular game. Almost unbelievable.
Actually he dropped out after James's win in Wednesday's game. Among James's 21 wins to date are the top 11 1-day scores of all time.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

This is the second time James has rung in for a clue about a famous race, and given an incorrect response of the Paris-to-Dakar Rally. (Incidentally, that race has been held in South America since 2009 due to terrorist activity northwest Africa, and will relocate to Saudi Arabia in 2020.)

I think we have found his kryptonite.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Josh started out by running "B.B." I had all but the stew.

"Bottom burner" and "Paris to Dakar" (again?) were odd negs for James.

NHO "Lusitania" to my knowledge. Also didn't know that Peyton Manning sold insurance.

"Watch" refers to a period of time?

Strangely, all but the top box in both Verbs (didn't know they wanted "cease to be" in reference to a PERSON, so I was stuck on "disappear"), and overthought "The Time Machine" since I didn't think it was that old.

No guess on FJ! The title rings an extremely faint bell, but I know nothing beyond the title.

Lach Trash: sabbath

====
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am No mention of J! (yet) on Josh's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Archibald-Seiffer
While quite a few J! contestants have Wikpedia articles based on their in-show accomplishments (James has one), and a few more based on non-contestant-based achievements (first example I could think of off the top of my head being Alex Jacob), is this the first time that two contestants on the same episodes have had articles?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

My strategy if I get on Jeopardy will be to get 20 of 21 FJs correct.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm . Also didn't know that Peyton Manning sold insurance.

Lach Trash: sabbath

====

Picked up 24 Hours of LeMans. And come to Denver, you can't get away from his insurance ads.
Josh runs the category which IMO was questionable strategy instead of DD hunting, then he starts at the top. Arrrrrgh! When will these challengers learn? The teachers' tournament comes at a perfect time for those suffering Holzhauser Fatigue.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

The best way I can describe James' run is, over 21 days, he's averaging close to the previous one-day record. :o
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm "Watch" refers to a period of time?
Four hours, the traditional on-duty period for sailors.
davey

Post by davey »

silverpie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm "Watch" refers to a period of time?
Four hours, the traditional on-duty period for sailors.
In the clue, it was 3 hours.
This is another instance of a clue that was so easy I was sure I was missing something. Not James, though. As usual he pounced.
Isn't rock candy another rock we eat?... :D
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I misread the FJ category and thought it was American Plats. I precalled Philly as the first City laid out on a grid, the grid of Manhattan, L'Enfant''s plat for Washington, and the Ranchos around Los Angeles.

When I read the clue about from Overland Park to Olathe, I thought the same thing James did.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

"American Plays, that sounds like fun!"

Yeah, The Glass Menagerie, a real laugh riot!

[Y]ou've had us make such fools of ourselves. The effort, the preparations, all the expense! The new floor lamp, the rug, the clothes for Laura! All for what? To entertain some other girl's fiancé? Go to the movies, go! Don't think about us, a mother deserted, an unmarried sister who's crippled and has no job! Don't let anything interfere with your selfish pleasure! Just go, go, go - to the movies!

I'm sure it was funnier in Tennessee's earlier draft, The Ass Menagerie

Jessica's response was funny, though