FJs for the 4/29/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/29/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 pm

The oldest of these business booster groups, formed in Marseille in 1599, uses "de" instead of "of" in the name
71%
Founded, according to tradition, in 11 B.C., this former capital lies about halfway between Paris & Berlin
57%
Of the 4 riders mentioned in Revelation 6, only this one is explicitly named
67%
A character in this 1944 play is said to be like a piece in her own collection, "too exquisitely fragile to move from the shelf"
83%
In 2008 Time Magazine described this new practice as "one part social networking and one part capital accumulation"
27%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
FACTS ABOUT POETS $2000: The line "My candle burns at both ends" comes from her poem "First Fig"
25%
21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS: He was president of France after Chirac & before Hollande
45%
NONFICTION $800: It's Laura Hillenbrand's bestseller about "an Olympian's journey from airman to cast-away to captive"
38%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with a city not in Germany.
26%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with an incorrect German city.
4%
Pestilence was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
War or Famine was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
8%
Crowdsourcing was my guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
I plan to watch all ten games of the Teachers Tournament.
64%

Total votes: 106

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/29/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ORGANIZATIONS

4/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The oldest of these business booster groups, formed in Marseille in 1599, uses "de" instead of "of" in the name

4/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN CITIES

4/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded, according to tradition, in 11 B.C., this former capital lies about halfway between Paris & Berlin

5/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE KING JAMES BIBLE

5/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 4 riders mentioned in Revelation 6, only this one is explicitly named

5/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN PLAYS

5/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A character in this 1944 play is said to be like a piece in her own collection, "too exquisitely fragile to move from the shelf"

5/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS OF THE 2000s

5/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2008 Time Magazine described this new practice as "one part social networking and one part capital accumulation"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
chamber of commerce
Bonn
Death
The Glass Menagerie
crowdfunding
The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 2-1-3-2-1 success pattern.

James was correct on each of the extra clues.

FACTS ABOUT POETS $2000: The line "My candle burns at both ends" comes from her poem "First Fig"

21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS: He was president of France after Chirac & before Hollande

NONFICTION $800: It's Laura Hillenbrand's bestseller about "an Olympian's journey from airman to cast-away to captive"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(Nicolas) Sarkozy
Unbroken
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/29/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
blank for chamber of commerce
Rotterdam
blank for crowdfunding
Plan to watch all of Teachers Tournament
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat May 04, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

No guess on the misses.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess on Friday

Will be watching the whole Teachers Tournament, to hopefully see some competitive games.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Bummed about overcomplicating Wed....
I might have eventually come up with those 2 extras, but not before James...
The Teachers Tourney will be a respite...but as someone pointed out in a daily thread, not as good for the ratings as the current "regular" games...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Plan to watch the Teachers' Tournament.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

:cry: :mrgreen: :cry:

"Kickstarting" was the best I could come up with for what looks to have played as the toughest FJ in James's first 22 games.

I leave Friday night for a vacation, so I'll have a backlog of J! episodes, including the last 6 Teachers Tournament games and an unknown number of James games, on my DVR when I get back. Ill try to get to them all.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had no idea what a "business booster group" would be. I think maybe I always assumed a chamber of commerce was just something attached to a city hall.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I always thought the Chamber of Commerce was a government entity. Still, I didn't have a better response on Monday, so I went with it.

Thought of Bonn but somehow talked myself out of it and into Antwerp. No idea why. Maybe I thought Bonn didn't work geographically to be the midpoint?

Famine was the only other possibility I considered. But I figured if only one of them gets a name, it pretty much has to be Death. I'm surprised I didn't know that the others aren't explicitly named.

I have read The Glass Menagerie at least once so no difficulties there. I could've given the last name of the character and probably the first as well. (There's a 25% chance I would've called her Amanda Wingfield. But that's the mother's name. The daughter is Laura.)

No chance on Friday. James showed his ability to get difficult FJs as well as the low-hanging fruit.

I've known that quote was from Edna St. Vincent Millay for going on 30 years now.

I've got to swot up on my French presidents. There aren't too many that we need to know and I half know them already. But I often fail to come up with the right one in the clutch.

No chance on the Laura Hillenbrand book. I only vaguely recognize her name.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x misread first clue, answered Order of De Molay.
:( :oops: :roll: answered Mitterand. Who picked this garbage?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Wagged CofC as a WECIB
Knew I wanted the capital of West Germany, couldn't pull it, said Munich to have something.
Blanked out on the Notre Dame Horsemen until after time ran out.
Have seen this play.
Guessed selling of "likes" and reviews etc..

I will watch the TT as usual.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 pmNo chance on the Laura Hillenbrand book. I only vaguely recognize her name.
Read up on her. Hers is a fascinating story that may be of interest to you.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Props to James for getting that brutal Friday FJ.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Bad week. I spent all my time on Friday trying to come up with something that took the financial aspect of the clue metaphorically. When they panned James on the camera, it seemed on a surface level like he was befuddled halfway through as well, though of course I have no idea what was actually going through his head.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Bad week. I spent all my time on Friday trying to come up with something that took the financial aspect of the clue metaphorically. When they panned James on the camera, it seemed on a surface level like he was befuddled halfway through as well, though of course I have no idea what was actually going through his head.
I've noticed James is often shown frowning intently at the FJ clue - but every time he not only gets it right but, until recently, had time to do his shout-out as well...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

davey wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm

I've noticed James is often shown frowning intently at the FJ clue - but every time he not only gets it right but, until recently, had time to do his shout-out as well...
It's just as plausible that he had already written down the correct answer by that point.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:49 pm

It's just as plausible that he had already written down the correct answer by that point.
Yes, that's what I think. The expression may be just to fake everybody out.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Before this week, I'd have taken it as "who gets the shoutout?" and "how many hearts can I fit on the screen?"
OCSam
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I thought of the Knights of Columbus on Monday and though I sort of knew it couldn't be right, it crowded out any better ideas. Also, I see their building on Eighth Avenue every day and there seem to be a lot of French names inscribed. Friday's I was never going to get. I went with "facebooking" which has at least helped a few people accumulate capital.

I've missed Unbroken before, probably in LearnedLeague. But I always say the mark of a good trivia player is that he only makes the same mistake twice.
I'm smart and I want respect.