Familiar face on Millionaire

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Familiar face on Millionaire

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
Silverfox wrote:Is Ken playing for charity on this appearance? The questions seem to be easy.
He is not.
His charity is LDS. No others need apply.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Silverfox wrote:Is Ken playing for charity on this appearance? The questions seem to be easy.
Well, I thought my questions were ridiculously easy - until they weren't. :)

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

MarkBarrett wrote:I saw a post on Preston's Facebook page that Amy Stephenson will be on today: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7652

Boardie and archivist debramc played against her on J!
Darnit, I missed this post when it happened. I would have made a point to watch it. One of Amy's characteristics on J! was a sort of freaky calm which I wouldn't think would carry over well to Millionaire, but I wish I'd been able to see for myself. I also wonder if she told her stories about knitted body parts again...

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I just watched an episode of the Aussie version of Millionaire & while the host is much better than recent US hosts, the show has an odd set-up. 7 or 8 contestants sit in a circle and answer the questions one at a time. If they want they can pass on a question & the next person in the circle must answer it. There don't seem to be any lifelines. I got most of the general knowledge questions but some that were Australia-specific were out of my range.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Are you sure that wasn't The Weakest Link ?

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Ken's part 2 was today.
Spoiler
Oy. You'd think getting none wrong would afford him to come away with more than 100k, but it was not to be.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Ken's part 2 was today.
Spoiler
Oy. You'd think getting none wrong would afford him to come away with more than 100k, but it was not to be.
Spoiler
I simply would have jumped that "Eating Club" clue. I had no idea on that and didn't see anything resembling TOM in it. If he and Tony can't get it, though ... man.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I simply would have jumped that "Eating Club" clue. I had no idea on that and didn't see anything resembling TOM in it. If he and Tony can't get it, though ... man.
Spoiler
This is a pretty standard bit of trivia that I'm surprised Ken hasn't picked up over the years. There's perhaps an east-coast bias that works against Ken here, and an elite bias that works against the audience here.

Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

I missed it as well. Would someone please specify how far Ken got and his prize money won?

Results spoiler:
Spoiler
The question he missed would be excellent.
Sorry for asking for so much! :(

-A

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Armandillo wrote:I missed it as well. Would someone please specify how far Ken got and his prize money won?

Results spoiler:
Spoiler

-A
Spoiler
He didn't miss any questions. He just used all his lifelines on the same one. He walked with $100K and the question he left on asked what the penultimate line of Al Gore's 2000 concession speech, which Ken knew but didn't want to risk his money.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
Armandillo wrote:I missed it as well. Would someone please specify how far Ken got and his prize money won?

Results spoiler:
Spoiler

-A
Spoiler
He didn't miss any questions. He just used all his lifelines on the same one. He walked with $100K and the question he left on asked what the penultimate line of Al Gore's 2000 concession speech, which Ken knew but didn't want to risk his money.
Spoiler
Look, I'm not managing KJ's finances, but I can't imagine that's actually the reason he walked. I assume it has to do with what AP was talking about earlier, some sort of PR/ego/image thing of him not wanting to get a question wrong.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Spoiler
Spoiler
I like Ken, so I hope that technically it's not schadenfreude if you're only rejoicing over someone not succeeding as well as they could have. :)
Rex

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Spoiler
While Ken guessed right on the 10th Q about Princeton it was not like he really knew it. The 250K Q about Gore seemed more like Ken knew it. Some players will risk the 75K trying to gain 150K and some won't. Ken made the decision that worked for him. I would not think it was just trying to avoid getting one wrong though. He played it conservative to not lose money made and that is his choice. It's his call.

As a viewer I wish he would have played with more stones and gone for it since he had a strong instinct. He's smart enough to possibly have known the 500K cold.

Ken's biggest mistake was earlier on the Princeton Q using the audience first. Just because he's on the east coast does not mean they are going to help him on that one. It should have been an immediate Jump once Ken did not know it. Ken of course is not a regular viewer of the show I would guess he does not have enough viewing time to have that sixth sense about good Audience questions.

The Audience and +1 Tony Hightower could have perhaps given Ken more assurance to go for the 250K Q. That was where he needed the help to possibly move up the ladder.
It was a letdown to end the show with the "celebrity" couple.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Can't wait for Ken to magically show up on The Chase and take the low offer from the Beast.

billiej

Post by billiej »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I like Ken, so I hope that technically it's not schadenfreude if you're only rejoicing over someone not succeeding as well as they could have. :)
Rex
Spoiler
Or over that you did better than they did. Hey, it doesn't look like I'm getting on J! anytime too soon - let me have this! :P

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
I didn't miss any until Gore, but hadn't used any lifelines. Knew Princeton. Makes me feel just a little bit smarter, albeit temporarily.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Spoiler
The Princeton question was easy if you've ever gotten drunk in one… although I wouldn't expect a random frat boy to know about some hoity-toity institution's term for an animal house.

Of any question, the $250k is the best to guess. 2:1 upside potential vs. 1:1 on the top two questions and whatever it is on the $100k. I'd have loved to have seen him pull the trigger.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Spoiler
The main quibble I have with Ken's decisions is that he used too many lifelines on a $500 tenth question. I'd have jumped outright but polling the audience is a reasonable intermediary step, considering that lifeline is practically useless for most "Classic Millionaire" questions. But really, in that position you should reserve the +1.

And again, if they ever let me on that show, I dearly, dearly hope they give me a stack like that.

What company invented the mouse. Sheeessshh.
Ken certainly kept up his showbiz end of the contract, and was quite a good sport throughout.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
Ken Jennings leaving with $100k when the top prize is $1M? What is this, 2014?

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

So does that mean Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings are the only two players to win six-or-more figures on both shows? I know for Bill, the benchmark was $125,000.