Tuesday, May 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 am

Game Recap for Show #7987, 2019-05-07

2019 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Trevor Crowell, a high school Spanish teacher from Mountain View, California
Matthew Bunch, a middle school civics and world history teacher from Miami, Florida
Tara Baxter, a high school English teacher from Tucson, Arizona

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome aboard. You have heard me say this many times in recent years, but the Teachers Tournament is Jeopardy!'s way of saluting those important members of our society who quite often get to spend just as much quality time with our kids as we the parents do. So Trevor, Matthew, Tara, good to have you with us today. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And now you get to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
JUICE WORLD (5/5)
IN THE PRINCIPAL'S DESK (5/5)
SITCOMEDY (5/5)
ANAGRAM THE LAST WORD (4/5)
THAT'S THE TICKET! (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the running mate. You tell us who the other person on the ticket was.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthew: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Trevor: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Tara: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matthew: $5,200
Tara: $1,400
Trevor: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Trevor Crowell is a Spanish teacher from Mountain View, California. Now, Trevor, many people have had their cars stolen. But not many people have had to endure what you experienced.

Trevor: This is true. Yeah, when I was in college, my car was stolen, my beloved 1998 Honda Civic. I thought that was the end of the road for me and my car, but I got a call from the police about a month later. They said, "Trevor, come down and pick up your car. We found it." I was amazed. I went down, I had the key in my hand, and the police officer said, "Wait a minute, did insurance pay you already?" I said, "Oh, yeah, they did." He said, "Not your car. It belongs to the insurance company, but don't worry. You can just buy it back from them." I called, and I said, "Okay, they found the car, I'd like to buy it back." They said, "No, can't sell it to you, but it's going up on auction in two weeks. Go to the auction. You can bid on it." So with the help of my mom, we went to the auction. I bid on my car, and I bought my stolen car back at auction.

[Laughter]

Alex: And did you save money on the whole deal?

Trevor: Money, yes.

Alex: Matthew Bunch is a middle school civics teacher from Miami, Florida.

Matthew: Yes, sir.

Alex: Civics.

Matthew: Yes.

Alex: A very ignored subject in this day and age for some reason.

Matthew: Yes. It's been--it's one of the reasons why I gravitated toward the topic in the first place is that I feel it has--every subject in school has real-life applications. But I definitely feel like it has many real-life applications that many Americans and people around the world don't appreciate, so it's right where I went to.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Tara Baxter is from Tucson. High school English teacher.

Tara: Yes, sir.

Alex: With, it says here, a laid-back teaching style. What does that mean, Tara?

Tara: I'm considered the cool teacher at my school.

Alex: Yeah? Why?

Tara: I've done a lot of things before I became a teacher. And--like, I served in the military, I was a sportswriter, so my students really like to talk to me about my experiences, and it's not just academics in my--

Alex: Yeah, so you have a background before the teaching

Tara: Absolutely.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Trevor found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Tara had $3,000, Matthew had $6,400, and Trevor was at $5,000. Trevor wagered $2,000.

THE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.) To curate the best images, music & messages to put on the two golden records, time capsules of info about Earth the two Voyagers would send outside the solar system, the project created a committee headed by this astronomer & author

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANAGRAM THE LAST WORD $600: I will not shed this for the beast we just killed--after all, he was a predator
(Trevor: What's a tear?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Trevor: $7,000
Matthew: $6,400
Tara: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Tue May 07, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
QUOTING THE CLASSICS (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACTORS NOT ACTING (4/5)
CENTRAL AMERICA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE ORCHESTRA (3/5)
BACK"PACK" (3/5)
THE TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD (3/5) (Alex: To celebrate the 150th anniversary of its completion, a whole category about...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Trevor: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Matthew: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Tara: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $15,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Trevor snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Tara had $3,800, Matthew had $10,000, and Trevor was at $8,200. Trevor wagered $3,000.

CENTRAL AMERICA $1600: A fruit & a bean, they were once the basis of Central America's economy & are now its most important fair trade crops

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Trevor who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Tara had $5,000, Matthew had $13,200, and Trevor was at $12,000. Trevor wagered $2,000.

QUOTING THE CLASSICS $1600: Plato:
"Democracy passes into despotism"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACTORS NOT ACTING $1600: The first time Steve Martin publicly showed his art collection was in 2001 at this Las Vegas hotel

BACK"PACK" $800: Queen Helene says it uses natural English clay in this facial treatment

BACK"PACK" $2000: Melting from one of these in the Sierra Nevada provides about 1/3 of California's water needs
(Matthew: What is the ice pack?)

THE TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD $1200: Towns that sprang up with saloons, gambling & sometimes a murder a day got this nickname, also an AMC TV drama about the railroad

THE TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD $2000: Other workers drank ditch water & got ill; Chinese workers drank tea & became 90% of the workforce of this co. heading east from California

QUOTING THE CLASSICS $800: Aesop's moral to this insect fable:
"It is thrifty to prepare today for the wants of tomorrow"

QUOTING THE CLASSICS $1200: Ovid:
"Of bodies changed to various forms I sing"
(Trevor: What's the Aeneid?)

QUOTING THE CLASSICS $2000: Aristophanes:
"These impossible women...can't live with them, or without them!"

IN THE ORCHESTRA $1600: Orchestra these are a lot less dome-y than the church types
(Matthew: What is an organ?)
(Tara: What are chimes?)
(Alex: Chimes? Be more specific.)
(Tara: Wind chimes?)

IN THE ORCHESTRA $2000: This standard orchestral woodwind is about 4 1/2 feet long with a curved metal piece called a crook or bocal
(Tara: What's an oboe?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Trevor: $15,600
Matthew: $12,400
Tara: $1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TEACHERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Trevor: Wager $9,201 to cover Matthew, but no more than $13,599 so as not to fall behind Tara's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $7,201.
Matthew: You ought to wager between $3,201 (venusian) and $6,000 (martian), thereby safely covering a $0 bet by Trevor.
Tara: Too bad for you, Tara, your score is less than Trevor's score minus Matthew's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
As a teenager this woman regained her sight thanks to 2 surgeries in 1881 & 1882

FINAL SCORES
Tara: $1,000 + $1,000 = $2,000 (Who was Annie Sullivan? Hi Star!) (3rd place)
Matthew: $12,400 - $2,800 = $9,600 (Who was ?) (2nd place)
Trevor: $15,600 - $100 = $15,500 (Who is Hellen Keller?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Tara] Helen Keller's teacher. You are right. And you said hi to who?)
(Tara: Hi to my students. They're amazing.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Trevor: $12,800, 20 R (including 3 DDs), 3 W
Matthew: $12,400, 21 R, 3 W
Tara: $1,000, 8 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $26,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Matthew: 21/58 = .362
Trevor: 20/61 = .328
Tara: 9/58 = .155
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THAT'S THE TICKET! $1000: Lloyd Bentsen
(Tara: Ooh. Who is Bush?)
[Applause for Matthew running the category.]

SITCOMEDY $400: This Jim Parsons character said, "Howard, you know me to be a very smart man. Don't you think if I were wrong, I'd know it?"
(Matthew: What is The Big Bang Theory?)

THE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.) Using facilities in Spain, Australia & California, JPL can monitor all space missions beyond the orbit of the Moon from mission control; those stations are spaced by this many degrees longitude, one-third of the globe, to maintain constant contact

THE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.) A descent vehicle, like the one in this clean room, was used to create a soft landing using the sky crane maneuver to lower this inquisitive rover to the surface in 2012

THE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.) JPL's Juno probe needed a boost to get to its target; scientists designed its trajectory to come back to Earth & then use our gravity to slingshot to this planet, Juno's husband in mythology

THE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.) In 2017 JPL was able to restart long-dormant thrusters on Voyager 1; that helped reorient the spacecraft, so it can maintain communication from 13 billion miles away in this 12-letter space between solar systems

ACTORS NOT ACTING $1200: In 2007 Chazz Palminteri brought this outer-borough story to Broadway; he's also got a restaurant on West 46th Street
(Trevor: What is In the Bronx?)

CENTRAL AMERICA $800: The city of Quetzaltenango in this nation is home to a large population of K'iche' people

THE TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD $1600: Near Laramie in this state, the railroad's highest point has a monument to the Ames brothers, shovel millionaires who helped finance it

IN THE ORCHESTRA $400: Called the player-coach of the orchestra, the concertmaster almost always plays this instrument
(Tara: What's the piano?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Carl) Sagan
a teardrop
coffee and banana
The Republic
the Bellagio
a mud pack
the snowpack
hell on wheels
the Central Pacific
"The Ant and the Grasshopper"
Metamorphoses
Lysistrata
tubular bells
the bassoon
Annie Sullivan
Michael Dukakis
Sheldon Cooper
Curiosity
Jupiter
interstellar
A Bronx Tale
Guatemala
Wyoming
the violin
Last edited by Archivists on Tue May 07, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Tue May 07, 2019 11:05 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TEACHERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
As a teenager, this woman regained her sight thanks to 2 surgeries in 1881 & 1882

Tara Baxter: 1000+1000=2000
Matthew Bunch: 12400-2800=9600
Trevor Crowell: 15600-100=15500 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Annie Sullivan (Tara added Hi Star!) (Matthew – Who was?) (Trevor – Helen Keller)

Daily Doubles
Trevor: 5000+2000
Trevor: 8200+3000
Trevor: 12000+2000

Coryats
Tara: 1000
Matthew: 12400
Trevor: 12800

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tara: 3000
Matthew: 6400
Trevor: 7000

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue May 07, 2019 11:07 am

IN THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK $800: No kid is going to have this in school, even if it is the body spray as opposed to the weapon

I took the neg with mace although now I’m wondering if the judges would give me a reversal?

So much for no shout-outs as Tara included a greeting to her students by naming the school where she teaches.

The FJ! clue had my pen never moving. Not because I missed it, but because I had already written down the correct response off the category. Nothing in the clue gave me a hint of Maria Montessori, so there was nothing to do but wait to see if anyone gave the incorrect response that Trevor ended up writing.

Too bad for Tara that her sole solve did little to give her much chance of making it to next week. She had several unforced errors that lowered her score needlessly.

Golf

Post by Golf » Tue May 07, 2019 1:26 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:07 am
So much for no shout-outs as Tara included a greeting to her students by naming the school where she teaches.
Are we certain this was taped after the rule was supposedly enforced? And we probably don't really know if TPTB give the contestants in this tournament the same spiel. But yeah, a little surprising.

Frustrating and sad that two teacher's didn't know FJ. One of the most influential happenings in the profession and probably the reason why many actually get into teaching.

Round number DD wagering, 2nd place guessing what the cutoff will be and falling just short of the leader's current total. Low Coryats. And there are many who will enjoy this more than a dominating champ.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Golf wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Are we certain this was taped after the rule was supposedly enforced? And we probably don't really know if TPTB give the contestants in this tournament the same spiel. But yeah, a little surprising.

Frustrating and sad that two teacher's didn't know FJ. One of the most influential happenings in the profession and probably the reason why many actually get into teaching.

Round number DD wagering, 2nd place guessing what the cutoff will be and falling just short of the leader's current total. Low Coryats. And there are many who will enjoy this more than a dominating champ.
Do we know that the "No shoutouts" rule was a hard and fast thing? Maybe they just told James to dial it back since it was slowing things down.

I guessed FJ correctly. I hadn't heard that part of her history before, but what else could it be? I do need to watch that movie sometime.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue May 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Off the FJ category, my first thought was Socrates. But I figured that was unlikely since we'd had a Plato clue. My second thought was Anne Sullivan. When I saw the clue I wasn't sure if that was right since I didn't know Sullivan's pre-HK biography at all. I briefly thought about switching to Mary Ingalls who, I at least knew, went blind. But I never heard that she recovered or that she became a famous teacher. So I stuck with Annie S.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Tue May 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Golf wrote:

Part of me wants to say "who cares what other people find enjoying", while another part of me fails to understand why some people would rather watch a 10-9 baseball game than a 1-0 pitcher's duel.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 07, 2019 8:28 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:36 pm
Off the FJ category, my first thought was Socrates. But I figured that was unlikely since we'd had a Plato clue. My second thought was Anne Sullivan. When I saw the clue I wasn't sure if that was right since I didn't know Sullivan's pre-HK biography at all. I briefly thought about switching to Mary Ingalls who, I at least knew, went blind. But I never heard that she recovered or that she became a famous teacher. So I stuck with Annie S.
pre called montessori and sullivan...the latter got the nod

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:41 pm
Golf wrote:

Part of me wants to say "who cares what other people find enjoying", while another part of me fails to understand why some people would rather watch a 10-9 baseball game than a 1-0 pitcher's duel.

i prefer both...it depends on who i have on my dfs teams in any given game to determine what i will be rooting for

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 pm

I raise an objection to the "Extras" question. David Bowie made up a song about Ricky Gervais' character Andy Millman, not Gervais himself.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Tue May 07, 2019 11:26 pm

eta: (idiot statement removed about Monday's game, thanks econgator)

I'm glad to have a break from Holzhaur Fatigue Syndrome, but I'd rather these tourneys just start with 9 teachers and end in one week. Seeing 6 extra teachers isn't worth the second week in the format - go ahead and jam another tourney in there - maybe an all redhead week or something.

The FJ reminded me of high school when I knew everything except the answer. Yeah, Helen Keller's teacher. The Miracle Worker lady. I didn't know about her blindness and am dumbfounded that 1880's medicine was able to improve her eyesight.

Possibly a relevant toon here: (still learning the pipes and tubes)
SpoilerShow
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed May 08, 2019 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue May 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Maybe it was just the categories, but I found today's game difficult. FJ was pretty much WECIB?, though.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 am

Golf wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Well, James said it started being a rule last week, and Alex said yesterday we're getting two weeks off from James, so either this was taped after the regular shows preceding it, or TPTB said, "Screw it, he'll probably keep winning, so we'll mention him just in case and edit it out if he he loses before this is supposed to air." I'm assuming the former. But yes, perhaps you're right in your second sentence.
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:26 pm
The cool teacher (Tara) will be home early. Good pull by her to get
SpoilerShow
Superman, I equate it to me being able to name the radio voice actor (or whatever).
That's from yesterday's game, and obviously that wasn't Tara.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 am

Despite feeling the effects of his cancer treatment, Alex is in very good voice.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:21 am

Man, if I didn't know enough about the orchestra that I thought the concertmaster plays piano and an oboe is 4-1/2 feet long, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ring in (just the way I really don't ring in at home when they are reading clues in my most horrid categories). That just made me sad.

It's nice to be back getting some LT now and then: mudpack, snow-pack, grasshopper, Metamorphoses, bassoon.

My first thought was Montessori. Certainly never heard that particular part of the Annie Sullivan story, and thought this seemed plausible: a medical doctor who became a teacher, after all. Fortunately had second thoughts and reached Sullivan.

Man, I keep telling myself that if I ever get on J! I am REALLY going to have to brush up on Central America. I don't know why that's such a blind spot for me.

Congrats to Trevor for advancing, and at this point I'd bet Matthew is moving on as well.

heppm01

Post by heppm01 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 am

Count me as another who precalled AS and Socrates, then immediately discarded Socrates based on the earlier Plato clue.

Do contestants for the teacher's tournament need to pass one of the same audition tests as the rest of us? It seemed like there was a surprising number of egregious errors and stand-and-stares in this episode.

bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird » Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 am

I was really surprised there wasn't a reversal on chimes. They're absolutely the same thing as tubular bells. I work for a music publisher, and our house style uses the term chimes.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Wed May 08, 2019 10:48 am

I think they would have had to accept Edmund Muskie as running mate for Hubert Humphrey. They didn't say that the person in the clue was presidential or VP candidate.

Now it would be pushing it for them to accept Roger Moe, who was running mate of Hubert Humphrey III when he ran for governor of Minnesota (and lost to Jesse "The Body" Ventura).
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 am

floridagator wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:48 am
I think they would have had to accept Edmund Muskie as running mate for Hubert Humphrey. They didn't say that the person in the clue was presidential or VP candidate.

Now it would be pushing it for them to accept Roger Moe, who was running mate of Hubert Humphrey III when he ran for governor of Minnesota (and lost to Jesse "The Body" Ventura).
(Alex: We'll give you the running mate. You tell us who the other person on the ticket was.)