TD 420 - Free your mind (Q4-Q6 Revealed)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: TD 420 - Free your mind (Q1 Revealed)

Post by MattKnowles »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm Tree fiddy - spell4yr
I'm glad somebody put this one.

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm you never heard of to smoke tree? look it up in urban dictionary...means to smoke weed...pretty lame...almost went with treegasm
Oddly enough, since I don’t smoke weed (just thought it’d be an interesting theme), it wasn’t the first place my mind went.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm Q1 - Trees - Give a common phrase or word that includes the word "tree" or "trees." Proper names or titles are allowed.

Treemonisha - 2
---------------
Peachbox
squarekara
High five! :lol:
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm
Street smarts - twelvefootboy

1. twelvefootboy [s] - 1

Somehow, this feels more like 20th place. :lol: My answer was supposed to be "Meryl Streep", but I accidentally submitted my placeholder while I was trying to remember her name. If I was going to get negged for using the embedded version, I wanted it to be with my default guess for anything Oscar related ;)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm you never heard of to smoke tree? look it up in urban dictionary...means to smoke weed...pretty lame...almost went with treegasm
Oddly enough, since I don’t smoke weed (just thought it’d be an interesting theme), it wasn’t the first place my mind went.
i don't smoke tree either

so do i get put back into the game since it is a legitimate phrase?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I've heard the phrase smoke trees before.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 am

I thought about it more than I would care to admit during my drive into work this morning (didn't help that traffic was unusually heavy). I guess I'll allow it.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 420 - Free your mind (Q2 Revealed)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Q2 - Herb - KFC's original recipe is kept under lock and key, and under heavy surveillance, but the Colonel's second wife also allegedly had it written on the back of her last will. While KFC denies that the recipe is accurate, the Chicago tribune tested the recipe out and it did produce something that was "indistinguishable" from chicken bought at a Chicago-area KFC. Name one of the 11 herbs or spices that goes into the Colonel's original recipe (Note: although the spices are to be mixed with two cups of white flour, flour is not a correct answer; the Chicago Tribune also confirmed that MSG is added to the spice mix, but was not in the original list of 11, so MSG will also not be accepted).

You could have gone with something somewhat obvious, or taken a stab on this one. We have our first eliminations here (after casketromance got a reprieve for the last clue because your host is an innocent little boy and associated "smoking trees" with actual trees)!

WRONG
---------------
squarekara (Cocoa Powder)
heppm01 (parsley)
Peachbox (cumin)
Enormous Jeans (cayenne)

SHEEP (+6)
---------------
SweepingDeveloper
merica
1stlvlthinker
Chex Mix
Ironhorse
casketromance
MarkBarrett

Black Pepper - 6
---------------
Bmwhitehead
clprez
classicroadster
badgerfellow
twelvefootboy
MattKnowles

Oregano - 5
---------------
floridagator
econgator
clt013
Gamawire
xabe

Paprika - 5
---------------
blueoncemoon
Coach P
Prizes
spell4yr
morbeedo

Thyme - 3
---------------
Kirbstar
9021amyers
ElendilPickle

Garlic Salt - 2
---------------
Saturnalia
jsm378

Salt - 2
---------------
immaf
threearruda

SINGLETONS
---------------
Basil - Rackme32

UNUSED
---------------
Celery Salt
White Pepper
Dried Mustard
Ground Ginger

Standings after Q2:

29. 1stlvlthinker - 9 (+1)
29. Chex Mix - 9 (+1)
29. MarkBarrett - 9 (+1)
28. classicroadster [s] - 8 (-6)
17. Ironhorse - 7 (-16)
17. SweepingDeveloper - 7 (-16)
17. casketromance - 7 (-16)
17. merica - 7 (-16)
17. Bmwhitehead [s] - 7 (-16)
17. Coach P [s] - 7 (+5)
17. MattKnowles [s] - 7 (-16)
17. badgerfellow [s] - 7 (-16)
17. clprez [s] - 7 (-16)
17. twelvefootboy [s] - 7 (-16)
17. xabe [s] - 7 (+5)
9. Gamawire [s] - 6 (-8)
9. Prizes [s] - 6 (-8)
9. blueoncemoon [s] - 6 (-8)
9. clt013 [s] - 6 (-8)
9. econgator [s] - 6 (-8)
9. floridagator [s] - 6 (-8)
9. morbeedo [s] - 6 (-8)
9. spell4yr [s] - 6 (-8)
6. Kirbstar [s] - 5 (+16)
6. Saturnalia [s] - 5 (+24)
6. immaf [s] - 5 (+24)
2. 9021amyers [s] - 4 (-1)
2. ElendilPickle [s] - 4 (-1)
2. jsm378 [s] - 4 (+20)
2. threearruda [s] - 4 (+20)
1. Rackme32 [s] - 2

Eliminated
----------
Enormous Jeans
Peachbox
heppm01
squarekara
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Fri May 17, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm OK - sorry for the delay, folks. Let's get this started - it's gonna be lit, as they say.

Q1 - Trees - Give a common phrase or word that includes the word "tree" or "trees" and is NOT the name of an actual kind of living tree (e.g. not "pine tree"; if I've heard of it, or I can Google it and can easily find its meaning, I'll count it). "Tree" and "Trees" themselves also do not count. Proper names or titles are allowed.

Turnabout is fair play on this one, I guess - I remember in a previous TD, I put down "crysanthEMUm" when asked for a plant that contains the name of an animal, so I had to accept "street" and variations on this one *grumble grumble*.
Yes, you submitted that joke answer in my TD, but I didn't eliminate you! You did inspire a rule change though:

5. There are no loopholes - ask for clarifications if you really need it, but don't try to break the game.

Answering "street" is just sociopathic
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am
SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm OK - sorry for the delay, folks. Let's get this started - it's gonna be lit, as they say.

Q1 - Trees - Give a common phrase or word that includes the word "tree" or "trees" and is NOT the name of an actual kind of living tree (e.g. not "pine tree"; if I've heard of it, or I can Google it and can easily find its meaning, I'll count it). "Tree" and "Trees" themselves also do not count. Proper names or titles are allowed.

Turnabout is fair play on this one, I guess - I remember in a previous TD, I put down "crysanthEMUm" when asked for a plant that contains the name of an animal, so I had to accept "street" and variations on this one *grumble grumble*.
Yes, you submitted that joke answer in my TD, but I didn't eliminate you! You did inspire a rule change though:

5. There are no loopholes - ask for clarifications if you really need it, but don't try to break the game.

Who says we aren't just a bunch of sociopaths?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SenseiCAY wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am

Who says we aren't just a bunch of sociopaths?
FWIW, I've no problem with how a ruling goes when I take a shot and don't get the mongering for an over rule. I just wish I'd gotten in my "Meryl Streep" answer and died on that hill :lol: . Your game - your gut. And then I chickened out on the ingredient instead of going with celery salt which was a strong hunch. My dear Mammy used it and made the best fried chicken ever - almost good enough to cancel her horrible cooked-to-the-splinter-hazard-stage pork chops :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Well, dang. I'll have to drown my sorrows in Chick-Fil-A later, I guess!

I dunno anything about the Chicago Tribune's version of KFC, but I picked up a recipe at the original Sanders Cafe in Corbin, KY about 25 years ago. (If anyone ever roadtrips down to Mammoth Cave or Cumberland Falls, definitely look for it.) It operates as a museum with a modern KFC restaurant tucked inside the landmark structure. The period kitchen display features retro cookware, old-timey commercial kitchen gadgets, and ELEVEN--count 'em, ELEVEN--vintage herb and spice tins carefully positioned thoughout the room without explanation. Could it be?? I made a list of the ingredients on the spot and tinkered with the blend once we got home. (The most memorable items for me were cocoa powder and cinnamon!) I'm not sure how it compared to the official recipe, but my ripoff version turned out pretty good.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

squarekara wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 pm Well, dang. I'll have to drown my sorrows in Chick-Fil-A later, I guess!

I dunno anything about the Chicago Tribune's version of KFC, but I picked up a recipe at the original Sanders Cafe in Corbin, KY about 25 years ago. (If anyone ever roadtrips down to Mammoth Cave or Cumberland Falls, definitely look for it.) It operates as a museum with a modern KFC restaurant tucked inside the landmark structure. The period kitchen display features retro cookware, old-timey commercial kitchen gadgets, and ELEVEN--count 'em, ELEVEN--vintage herb and spice tins carefully positioned thoughout the room without explanation. Could it be?? I made a list of the ingredients on the spot and tinkered with the blend once we got home. (The most memorable items for me were cocoa powder and cinnamon!) I'm not sure how it compared to the official recipe, but my ripoff version turned out pretty good.
KFC may have been trying to pull the long con with you there, and apparently, it worked in getting you to miss a trivia question 25 years later.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 420 - Free your mind (Q3 Revealed)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Onto Q3 - This one was pretty specific, but I was hoping that the song was ubiquitous enough that most people had either heard it or heard a line or two from it.

Q3 - Midnight Toker - in a certain song by the Steve Miller Band, the singer says that "I'm a midnight toker." Other than a midnight toker, name something, according to the chorus of the song, that the singer either claims to be (the song lyrics say "I'm a _____"), or, according to the song's opening verse, the singer is called by some people ("Some people call me _____").

WRONG
---------------
ElendilPickle (Pompatus of Love - that lyric is "I speak of the pompitous of love")

SHEEP (+12)
---------------
immaf
Bmwhitehead
Enormous Jeans [X]
Peachbox [X]

Maurice - 12
---------------
jsm378
blueoncemoon
MattKnowles
9021amyers
floridagator
casketromance
badgerfellow
Ironhorse
threearruda
xabe
heppm01 [X]
squarekara [X]

Lover - 4
---------------
merica
clt013
MarkBarrett
clprez

Joker - 3
---------------
morbeedo
Kirbstar
classicroadster

Grinner - 2
---------------
Rackme32
spell4yr

Picker - 2
---------------
econgator
Coach P

Space Cowboy - 2
---------------
Gamawire
Saturnalia

Sinner - 2
---------------
SweepingDeveloper
twelvefootboy

Smoker - 2
---------------
Prizes
1stlvlthinker

SINGLETONS
---------------
Gangster of Love - Chex Mix

Standings after Q3:

25. Bmwhitehead - 19 (-7)
25. Ironhorse - 19 (-7)
25. casketromance - 19 (-7)
25. MattKnowles [s] - 19 (-7)
25. badgerfellow [s] - 19 (-7)
25. xabe [s] - 19 (-7)
23. blueoncemoon [s] - 18 (-13)
23. floridagator [s] - 18 (-13)
22. immaf - 17 (-15)
19. 9021amyers [s] - 16 (-16)
19. jsm378 [s] - 16 (-16)
19. threearruda [s] - 16 (-16)
18. MarkBarrett - 13 (+12)
15. merica - 11 (+3)
15. classicroadster [s] - 11 (+14)
15. clprez [s] - 11 (+3)
13. Chex Mix - 10 (+17)
13. clt013 [s] - 10 (-3)
9. SweepingDeveloper - 9 (+9)
9. Coach P [s] - 9 (+9)
9. morbeedo [s] - 9 (+1)
9. twelvefootboy [s] - 9 (+9)
4. Gamawire [s] - 8 (+6)
4. Kirbstar [s] - 8 (+3)
4. Prizes [s] - 8 (+6)
4. econgator [s] - 8 (+6)
4. spell4yr [s] - 8 (+6)
3. Saturnalia [s] - 7 (+4)
2. 1stlvlthinker [s] - 5
1. Rackme32 [s] - 4

Eliminated
----------
Enormous Jeans
Peachbox
ElendilPickle
heppm01
squarekara
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I did not cotton on to the fact that you didn't need the adjective. I thought you were requiring something like "an <adjective>> joker" and I had no clue. So I sheeped, and paid a stiff price for it. Such are the vagaries of TD.
Teems with quiet fun.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

SenseiCAY wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 am

I thought about it more than I would care to admit during my drive into work this morning (didn't help that traffic was unusually heavy). I guess I'll allow it.
thanx, dude
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

learned something new...never knew there was such a thing as white pepper

and maurice gets the uber sheep?
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 pm learned something new...never knew there was such a thing as white pepper

White pepper is great- a lot more pungent and spicier than black. It’s probably more commonly used in Asian cooking, from my experience. I use it instead of black pepper to season most soups.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 pm learned something new...never knew there was such a thing as white pepper

I knew Maurice was going to be a mega-sheep, yet I couldn’t contain myself.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

All I really know of that song is Maurice and the joker/poker/toker etc. and I figured those would hit high. That combined with my mediocre response of oregano means I'm probably out of this thing.

Latvia ho!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.