Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS FROM THE COMICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Used to describe secrecy during WWII, this 2-word term had its psychological meaning popularized by Charles Schulz

Francois Barcomb: 20600-0=20600 (Semi-Finalist)
Alexandra Bicks: 7400-2201=5199
Vicki Leibeck-Owsley: 4800-3800=1000

Correct response:
Spoiler
security blanket (Francois – warm puppy) (Alexandra – secret agent) (Vicki – brain wash)

Daily Doubles
Alexandra: 400+1000
Francois: 10600-3000
Francois: 17600-3000

Coryats
Francois: 26600
Alexandra: 7000
Vicki: 4800

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Francois: 7400
Alexandra: 3400
Vicki: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Many players over the years have been dinged for failing to use proper phrasing. Forgetting to spell the word and not picking up on Alex's silence is not as common. Alexandra lost $1000 and Vicki rebounded it for a scoreboard swing that likely will be meaningless overall.

Mavis Beacon a TS is one I will have to poll as I'm curious to see the percentage for picking up the trash. If you have come across the software then the unusual name sticks. If not it's a lot tougher.

Nice wake-up call by Alexandra to go from $0 after 9 clues to $3600 after finishing the segment with 5/6 right.

Francois did quite well other than 0/3 on the big clues he played.

I'm keeping the FJ! clue at 0% as the best I had was "good grief." Even with my early start on the clue (I precalled something from Peanuts) I could not solve it as this type is often troublesome. Nothing against the clue although I would have liked that one in the All-Stars in place of one of the ridiculous gimmes that event offered.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'm not sure where "secrecy" fits in, but I guessed "security blanket" with little confidence.

9 times out of 10 I call her Mavis Bacon. I wonder what I'd have done here. Clammed up, I bet.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:30 pm I'm not sure where "secrecy" fits in, but I guessed "security blanket" with little confidence.

9 times out of 10 I call her Mavis Bacon. I wonder what I'd have done here. Clammed up, I bet.
She is in the clue's wording and all that is needed is "this life skill." Does that make it easier? Well, at least for us.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another "Good grief" here and I also don't quite get the secrecy bit.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

+ 1 for good grief. IMO, this was harder than any FJ that James has faced so far. I'd be interested to know if he knew it.

I do see an obvious connection between the term "security blanket" and a metaphorical cloak of secrecy.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Another "ggod grief" here. It was the only thing I could think of.
Teems with quiet fun.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Based on the FJ category, I predicted that my streak (which then stood at 13) would come to an end. And it looked so until about 20 seconds in, when, going from character to character I finally got to Linus and everything fell into place.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Not sure how, but I got this FJ about halfway through. Locked in on psychological and somehow made the leap to security blanket from there. Good enough for me. I did not get Mavis Beacon, though. Part of my middle school technology class was devoted to typing exercises, but I can't recall if that was the program used (probably not).

Francois was fantastic; only did a very quick scan of the Archive, but 26,600 appears to be the highest Coryat ever recorded in a Teacher Tourney game, yes? (And by a fair margin, at that. Colby, Larry and Jason, notably, topped out around 20-21k. Next best appear to be in the 22-23k range.)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wish I had even thought of "good grief". I didn't get further than "Charlie Brown" which I knew was obviously not it.

I knew Mavis Beacon, but I learned typing more from Mario Teaches Typing.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

went with the oxymoron of good grief
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congrats to Francois for losing $6000 on a couple of bad DD breaks and still having a runaway. If I'd remembered the category was "C" WHO SALUTES, I think I'd have gotten Champlain on his second DD. As it was, I negged with Joliet. His first DD was easier (to me). I didn't need to recall the category to know we were talking about The Golden Rule. For Francois, the Physics teacher, a reference to Newton's Third Law might have helped (or utterly confused) him.

I kept yelling for them to get back to the last clue in opera/ballet so I could finish running the category. When they did, I couldn't pull Ballets Russes. The Russian names had me thinking of Bolshoi and Moscow, neither of which made sense with the Monte Carlo angle. The correct response was obvious in retrospect. But I don't think even taking a night to sleep on it would have got me there. Ballets Russes is a name I recognize if it gets a mention but not one I'm likely to come up with on my own. Tough clue in what's ordinarily a wheelhouse category for me.

I got Mavis Beacon. This might be a good poll choice.

Good grief on this FJ. It didn't make sense but it was two words long and, like a lot of you, I couldn't pull anything better. Mrs P had nothing either but her thinking process had her focused on Lucy's psychiatric help stand. That didn't get her to the correct response, but at least she was spinning her wheels at a higher level than I was.

So this is the FJ that skews tough for the tournament. Fortunately it didn't sabotage the dreams of an otherwise top notch contestant. But it might make the difference for Alexandra and/or for Vicki. We'll see.
Spoiler
Well, in Vicki's case we already know she's eliminated. Whereas if she'd gotten this FJ she'd still be in the hunt.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed May 08, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm I knew Mavis Beacon, but I learned typing more from Mario Teaches Typing.
So did-a I! That's-a why I type-a like-a this!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Was I the only one who instagot FJ? :geek:
Looks like they don't hang out with any typing teachers. :P
Appropriate that one of the DJ categories was " Angry Words", because I was ready to exchange some with the writers on the Bismuth clue. :evil:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm I wish I had even thought of "good grief". I didn't get further than "Charlie Brown" which I knew was obviously not it.

I knew Mavis Beacon, but I learned typing more from Mario Teaches Typing.
learned typing for the most part on my own from instant messaging...did have typing class when i was in alternative school after being booted out of my high school for the 2nd time, but never really learned anything from that teacher
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not the slightest clue on FJ. I just guessed 'tight-lipped'.

I guess they'll never BMS anything again. There were 2 Clinton's who were Governor of NY (I think that's what it asked for).
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

threearruda wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 pm Francois was fantastic; only did a very quick scan of the Archive, but 26,600 appears to be the highest Coryat ever recorded in a Teacher Tourney game, yes? (And by a fair margin, at that. Colby, Larry and Jason, notably, topped out around 20-21k. Next best appear to be in the 22-23k range.)
Not quite. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3636
Surprisingly, he didn't make it to the finals!
Count me as another one who got FJ, but it came to me after I eliminated "Good grief!" Only diehard Peanuts fans are going to get this one.
Hoping for a third lap
davey

Post by davey »

Good grief, a lot of people said that! The only phrase associated with World War 2 secrecy that I could come up with was loose lips, (as in ...sink ships), which seemed neither psychological nor something likely to be said by a Peanuts character...unless Charlie Brown was dreaming about the little red-haired girl... :roll:
If you've never heard the term used in the secrecy context being the biggest Schulz fan ever was not going to help. As Mrs. Opus (mrsopus??) did, I looked for a phrase Lucy might have used in her (semi-)professional role. You blockhead didn't qualify...I never got around to her brother...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ty-blanket

I found this a tough game all around...harder than some we've had lately...