Thursday, May 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7989, 2019-05-09

2019 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Conor Quinn, a high school world history teacher from Albany, New York
Melissa Okey, an elementary school resource teacher from Panorama City, California
Sara DelVillano, a middle school instrumental music teacher from Lanham, Maryland

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. We haven't talked about money so far this week. $100,000 to the Teachers champion. A $50,000 guarantee for second place. $25,000 guarantee for third place. Players who are eliminated in these quarterfinal matches this week go home with $5,000. If you make it to the semifinals and don't win, then you go home with $10,000, so there is money involved. Conor, Melissa, Sara, welcome. Good luck. Let's go to work right now. Let's find out what you three know about these subjects.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EVERY ANIMAL HAS ITS DAY (4/5)
FROM AN "A" TO AN "F" (4/5)
SOCIAL STUDIES (5/5)
TERMS FROM SPORTS (4/5)
STATE CAPITAL NICKNAMES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AN APP FOR TEACHER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Conor: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sara: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Melissa: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sara: $3,000
Melissa: $2,200
Conor: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Let's see if we can't find out why these three contestants became teachers. Conor Quinn, you're a high school world history teacher. Your father was a teacher.

Conor: That's correct.

Alex: But that wasn't an encouragement for you.

Conor: No, not at all. Well, he taught for 40 years, and I always thought that was the last thing I wanted to do. Then I started coming home from college on winter breaks, and I started to realized you can't really do anything if you don't have money, and not many places are gonna hire you for just half of the month of December and part of the month of January, so I started substitute teaching. And I ended up really liking it.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Melissa Okey from Panorama City, California. Went into teaching why? Because you liked kids more than adults? That's a good reason, by the way.

Melissa: I do. Honestly, I do. They're more fun to be around, a little more honest. When I was a kid, at Thanksgiving all of my sisters and all my cousins really wanted, like, "When do I get to move up to the adults' table?" And I was like, "Kids' table for life."

[Laughter]

Alex: Sara DelVillano from Lanham, Maryland. You wanted to be a teacher from way, way back when. How young were you?

Sara: Yeah, I was in third grade.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

Sara: They asked me to tutor some of the first graders, and I just loved it and ever since then, wanted to be a teacher.

Alex: But wait a minute. You're in third grade.

Sara: Yes.

Alex: And they're asking you to tutor--

Sara: First graders.

Alex: Grade one students. That's a power trip beyond belief.

Sara: That's one of the best parts of being a teacher.

Alex: You better believe it. Oh, yes, indeed.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Sara had $5,400, Melissa had $3,000, and Conor was at $3,600. Sara wagered $2,000.

STATE CAPITAL NICKNAMES $1000: "The Cradle of the Confederacy" & "The Birthplace of Civil Rights"
(Sara: Where is Richmond?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EVERY ANIMAL HAS ITS DAY $600: This -hog can come out of the shadow of the groundhog; February 2 honors both animals
(Sara: What is a warthog?)

FROM AN "A" TO AN "F" $1000: This striped hyena relative of Africa feeds chiefly on insects

TERMS FROM SPORTS $1000: It's a 2-word evasive football maneuver that presidents are regularly accused of making around Congress
(Melissa: What is sidestep?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Conor: $3,600
Sara: $3,400
Melissa: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TAURUS TYPES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ALPHABETICALLY SECOND (4/5)
THINGS TO DO OUTDOORS (4/5)
LITERARY CHARACTERS (4/5)
COUNTRIES' MUSIC (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FILM TEACHERS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Conor: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sara: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Melissa: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sara had $7,000, Melissa had $200, and Conor was at $6,800. Sara wagered $3,000.

COUNTRIES' MUSIC $1600: Jaiva, or township jive, is native to this country
(Sara: Uh, what is Indonesia?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sara who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Sara had $11,600, Melissa had $5,400, and Conor was at $9,600. Sara wagered $2,000.

TAURUS TYPES $2000: Those born under the sign of Taurus are devoted, like this woman, Gertrude Stein's partner & "Autobiography" subject
(Alex: Not coming?)
(Sara: I don't remember.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALPHABETICALLY SECOND $800: Of books of the Pentateuch in the King James Bible
(Sara: What is Deuteronomy?)

COUNTRIES' MUSIC $2000: It's the principal percussion instrument of northern India

LITERARY CHARACTERS $2000: With bleached skin & large eyes, the Morlocks are strange beasts from the future created by this author
(Alex: In The Time Machine by [*].)

THINGS TO DO OUTDOORS $1600: Attend a battle reenactment like in La Porte, Texas, where they reenact this one that led to independence from Mexico
(Melissa: What is the Alamo?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Conor: $9,600
Sara: $9,600
Melissa: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE COLD WAR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Tortoise and the hares.
Conor: You can't let Tortoise Melissa or Hare Sara catch up to you. Bet $9,600.
Sara: Don't get caught napping. Wager all $9,600.
Melissa: Slow and steady wins the race. Risk $4,201.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Cold War became entrenched in the mid-1950s after the formation of these 2 rival military alliances

FINAL SCORES
Melissa: $5,400 - $4,600 = $800 (What NATO NATO & USSR?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Sara: $9,600 - $1,201 = $8,399 (What are the US + USSR?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Conor: $9,600 + $8,000 = $17,600 (What are NATO and Warsaw Pact) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sara: $16,600, 20 R, 5 W (including 3 DDs)
Conor: $9,600, 16 R, 1 W
Melissa: $5,400, 14 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $31,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sara: 20/61 = .328
Conor: 17/58 = .293
Melissa: 14/58 = .241
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FROM AN "A" TO AN "F" $200: It was the customary utterance of Sandy, seen here

EVERY ANIMAL HAS ITS DAY $400: These pups are beautiful every day, but that fact is officially celebrated April 21

EVERY ANIMAL HAS ITS DAY $800: April 6 is the perfect day to celebrate this breed seen here

FROM AN "A" TO AN "F" $400: An artificial grasslike ground covering first used in Houston around 1965
(Sara: What is artificial turf?)
(Alex: More specific.)
(Sara: Uh, [*].)

FROM AN "A" TO AN "F" $600: Today chiefly used in viola music, it's the music score symbol with a 2-word name seen here

TERMS FROM SPORTS $200: The name of this style of boxing that lacked a key piece of gear now means "without conventional niceties"

AN APP FOR TEACHER $800: StudyBlue simulates these little rectangles used by kids to study for tests & by contestants to prep for "Jeopardy!"
(Melissa: What are note cards?)
(Alex: Note cards? Be a little more specific.)
(Melissa: Index cards?)
(Alex: Mm... no.)

ALPHABETICALLY SECOND $1200: Of Hogwarts houses
(Melissa: What is Gryffindor?)

ALPHABETICALLY SECOND $1600: Of the 7 Disney dwarfs
(Alex: Right after Bashful.)

ALPHABETICALLY SECOND $2000: Of the reindeer in "A Visit from St. Nicholas"
(Melissa: Who is Dasher?)
(Alex: Blitzen is first.)

LITERARY CHARACTERS $800: In "Paradise Lost", Abdiel is one of these & the only one of Lucifer's group who refuses to betray heaven
(Conor: What is a fallen angel?)

THINGS TO DO OUTDOORS $1200: Soar through the air & get your adrenaline going with this sport

THINGS TO DO OUTDOORS $2000: Plant some of these flowers of the violet family

TAURUS TYPES $800: John Paul Stevens was replaced at work by this woman, a fellow Taurus

TAURUS TYPES $1600: This woman seen here worked hard & made great sacrifices in the search for racial equality

CORRECT RESPONSES
Montgomery, Alabama
a hedgehog
an aardwolf
an end run, or end around
South Africa
Alice B. Toklas
Exodus
the tabla
H.G. Wells
the Battle of San Jacinto
NATO and the Warsaw Pact
arf
a bulldog
Siamese
Astroturf
an alto clef
bareknuckle boxing
flashcards
Hufflepuff
Doc
Comet
an angel
paragliding
pansies
(Elena) Kagan
Coretta Scott King
Last edited by Archivists on Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE COLD WAR

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Cold War became entrenched in the mid-1950s after the formation of these 2 rival military alliances

Sara DelVillano: 9600-1201=8399
Melissa Okey: 5400-4600=800
Conor Quinn: 9600+8000=17600 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
NATO & Warsaw Pact (Sara – US & USSR) (Melissa – NATO & USSR)

Daily Doubles
Sara: 5400-2000
Sara: 7000-3000
Sara: 11600-2000

Coryats
Sara: 16600
Melissa: 5400
Conor: 9600

Combined: 31,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sara: 3400
Melissa: 3000
Conor: 3600

Wildcards:
Julia: 15200
Matthew: 9600
Sara: 8399
Alexandra: 5199
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu May 09, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sara was 0/4 on big clues though still has a chance to play next week if at least one of the players do not exceed her 8399 from today.

25% on the Teachers FJ! clues leaves me embarrassed. Today I matched Melissa for the useless half-right. There is no excuse not to instaget the clue yet I did not have the correct information at the ready.

The two most recent clues that mention both:

#7662, aired 2017-12-26 TREATIES $800: A Communist answer to NATO, it was agreed to in 1955 & lasted until 1991
#7439, aired 2017-01-05 NATO $600: The Soviets formed this Eastern bloc counterweight to NATO in 1955

No complaints by Colin the high school world history teacher on today’s FJ! clue locking up his spot in the semis.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

"Oh this is a terribly easy FJ"

(watches as two folks miss it)

"..."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

There goes my perfect tournament. Said Soviet Bloc instead of Warsaw Pact.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Did not know Ed Gein's last name was pronounced Geen.

Pretty much no chance on this FJ. I've heard of the Warsaw Pact but couldn't tell you anything about it. Like MinnesotaMyron I got NATO and guessed Soviet Bloc just to have something.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm "Oh this is a terribly easy FJ"

"..."
I broke my own house rule of keeping quiet during think music and blurted out "What is this? Kids' Week?" I mean, these are literally the two most important geopolitical terms of the last 70 years...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm There goes my perfect tournament. Said Soviet Bloc instead of Warsaw Pact.
I do wonder what the judges would have said to this. Nothing in the term actually pinned the Warsaw Pact specifically and the Soviet Bloc had acted as a de facto military alliance before the Warsaw Pact was signed. It's not the best answer, but it's not obvious that it's incorrect either.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:37 pm Did not know Ed Gein's last name was pronounced Geen.

Pretty much no chance on this FJ. I've heard of the Warsaw Pact but couldn't tell you anything about it. Like MinnesotaMyron I got NATO and guessed Soviet Bloc just to have something.
didn't know that either
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

gnash wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:13 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm "Oh this is a terribly easy FJ"

"..."
I broke my own house rule of keeping quiet during think music and blurted out "What is this? Kids' Week?" I mean, these are literally the two most important geopolitical terms of the last 70 years...
i missed it..horrible week...1 out of 4 so far this week
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

A brainfart made me mishear "Sandy" as "Annie" and thus try to make "Leapin' Lizards" begin with an A and end with F. So of course I get all the other 4.

Any way to tell a pitbull from a bulldog? I guess my faceblindness crosses species. My only miss there.

No way was I missing Animal for $800. I've owned at least one Siamese cat since I was 7.

I couldn't figure out what App for $200 was asking for because the wording just felt so contrived. Ended up 0/5 there.

NHO "bare knuckle" boxing. "No holds barred" was the only term I recognized, but I still went 0/5.

YET AGAIN I blank on Montgomery. I think it's because I know way too many things called "Montgomery" and they jam my signals.

Alphabetically Second was tough. I can't even get to FIRST in that short a period of time, never mind second. What's the trick here? Especially when the top box was a friggin' J word?!

What was the TOM for "opera" in Countries Music for $400? That whole category went miles over my head and I'm a music guy.

I knew "Mr. Chips" because it was $200 last time and everyone here said it was justified there.

Calculus for $2,000 when spotted "tough branch of math"?

No guess on FJ! War stuff just makes my eyes glaze over.

Lach Trash: hedgehog, aardwolf, Exodus
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:48 pm A brainfart made me mishear "Sandy" as "Annie" and thus try to make "Leapin' Lizards" begin with an A and end with F. So of course I get all the other 4.

Any way to tell a pitbull from a bulldog? I guess my faceblindness crosses species. My only miss there.

No way was I missing Animal for $800. I've owned at least one Siamese cat since I was 7.

I couldn't figure out what App for $200 was asking for because the wording just felt so contrived. Ended up 0/5 there.

NHO "bare knuckle" boxing. "No holds barred" was the only term I recognized, but I still went 0/5.

YET AGAIN I blank on Montgomery. I think it's because I know way too many things called "Montgomery" and they jam my signals.

Alphabetically Second was tough. I can't even get to FIRST in that short a period of time, never mind second. What's the trick here? Especially when the top box was a friggin' J word?!

What was the TOM for "opera" in Countries Music for $400? That whole category went miles over my head and I'm a music guy.

I knew "Mr. Chips" because it was $200 last time and everyone here said it was justified there.

pitbulls aren't that low to the ground
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:37 pm Did not know Ed Gein's last name was pronounced Geen.
didn't know that either
And I'm finding I STILL don't know it. I'm not disputing the fact, you understand. The Internet tells me that's how Ed's family pronounced the name and who am I to argue? I'm just saying the fact isn't sticking. When I re-read my post just now to understand what you didn't know either, I read Gein to rhyme with wine, just as I always do. I have a feeling it'll take me less than a week to forget I ever learned the other pronunciation.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:48 pm A brainfart made me mishear "Sandy" as "Annie" and thus try to make "Leapin' Lizards" begin with an A and end with F. So of course I get all the other 4.

good job, dude...you have been working on your retention skills
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 pm
didn't know that either
And I'm finding I STILL don't know it. I'm not disputing the fact, you understand. The Internet tells me that's how Ed's family pronounced the name and who am I to argue? I'm just saying the fact isn't sticking. When I re-read my post just now to understand what you didn't know either, I read Gein to rhyme with wine, just as I always do. I have a feeling it'll take me less than a week to forget I ever learned the other pronunciation.
i always thought it was pronounced like gain
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

didn't know that either

apparently there is even a reddit thread discussing the pronunciation of that name...never thought a serial killer pronunciation thread would exist
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

didn't know that either
I had the opposite effect. Linkara mentioned him in an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall and it took me like six tries to realize that it was Gein, and not Geen, Geene, Gehn, etc.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm
didn't know that either
I had the opposite effect. Linkara mentioned him in an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall and it took me like six tries to realize that it was Gein, and not Geen, Geene, Gehn, etc.
never heard of it
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Big ups to my fellow 518er Colin on his win! :D

Thought the Final was quite easy and was surprised two people got it wrong, and I was stunned index cards/notecards weren’t allowable earlier.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan