LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by twelvefootboy »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm Looking forward to the experience, and just finished my flag which I will make my new avatar here.
Hunh...pole vaulting was not one of the things that came to mind when I thought "twelvefootboy" but it makes total sense.
Yeah, I just made that height in practice (20 years ago) the first time and then our company webmaster called and told me to pick a email handle for personal use. Who's ever ready for that question? Unfortunately it comes closer to describing my Long Jump these days :( . I'm calling it quits while I can still claim tfb for ten foot boy :lol:

On the LL81 note - I just submitted my first
Spoiler
(nothing to see here :twisted: )
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm I got moved vertically (downward) and horizontally, as I move from Midland A to Outback B. Jury is still out if the winner of each Rundle gets a free Blooming Onion.
I'm a rookie now and know I'm supposed to stfu, but is there any significance to the "horizontal" placement? A through E, I understand. Weird rundle divisions, not so much. Does it just mean there was not enough openings (advancements or relegations) in Midland B? Do they use the designated hitter in Outback? Or aluminum bats?

This is half rhetorical, and I'll sort out all this soon enough. Looking forward to the experience, and just finished my flag which I will make my new avatar here.
The leagues are set up such that - at least in A and B rundles - there are 26 people so you can have a full round-robin in 25 days (most of the time). In the C, D, R and E leagues, there can be fewer or more people in each rundle. As more people are recruited new leagues are created, and people are shifted around to even out the leagues. The names sound vaguely regional, without being too specific - kind of like divisions in pro sports leagues or college conferences. There are no rule differences between leagues. Everyone gets their own aluminum bat to beat themselves with when you miss an easy question.

Best of luck everyone - especially the rookies!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

boson wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 am Everyone gets their own aluminum bat to beat themselves with when you miss an easy question.

Best of luck everyone - especially the rookies!
Who do I call if I haven't received my aluminum bat?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

why do they have off on weekends? you would think that weekends would be the time that these professionals and academics would have the most time, since they are supposed to be busy during the week
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:51 pm why do they have off on weekends? you would think that weekends would be the time that these professionals and academics would have the most time, since they are supposed to be busy during the week
Probably because LearnedLeague is pretty much a one man show and Shayne doesn't want to work his butt off on the weekend.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Played my opponent for the 4th time yesterday. Got my 3rd 8(5) in those 4 matches. Granted, the other two times I had gotten that score he had forfeited, but still, just a little statistical quirk.

Also, I laughed at the MCWA for Q5. Took me a sec to even realize there was one.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

How much can I miss and still win? A Lot.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

gnash wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:05 am How much can I miss and still win? A Lot.
I’ll take 3 points for figuring out what fits the rhyme
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Was pleasantly surprised (shocked, actually) to win my first match (5(3) 4(4))as an A rundler. Hey, I'm undefeated!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

mrparadise wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 am Was pleasantly surprised (shocked, actually) to win my first match (5(3) 4(4))as an A rundler. Hey, I'm undefeated!
I feel like I dodged a bullet, too, winning 5(3)-4(3) in an A Rundle after a couple of Kosman koin tosses. Not a recipe for success.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:34 am
No clue for me although I got close with a "hood-ified" blind guess of, "lotta."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Couldn't get the rhyme and lost 8(5)-9(6). My opponent yesterday is someone who really has my number. I'm now 2-8 lifetime against him, despite being only slightly lower in lifetime QPct.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

Argh, should have pieced "fishing" together. For some reason, I was oddly confident that the answer was "horseshoes." :oops:
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Rhyme?

*looks back at the question*

#@%$!! There was a rhyme!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

shambolic wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 pm Argh, should have pieced "fishing" together. For some reason, I was oddly confident that the answer was "horseshoes." :oops:
That's the first thing that popped into my head, but I switched it to kite flying with zero confidence.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SenseiCAY wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:43 pm
Rhyme?

*looks back at the question*

The first 2 did, but not the third. Not that it would have helped me in the slightest.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:43 pm

The first 2 did, but not the third. Not that it would have helped me in the slightest.
I hope it doesn't count against my poetry score.

Btw, do we have less space now to type our defensive points? There's still room for one digit but I felt a bit claustrophobic.
I'm smart and I want respect.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

mrparadise wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 am Was pleasantly surprised (shocked, actually) to win my first match (5(3) 4(4))as an A rundler. Hey, I'm undefeated!
My first A rundle opponent actually forfeited.

My current one has a 0.900+ get rate. That winning streak was nice while it lasted.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

After lucking into a forfeit win on day 1 with only 3 right, of course I drop the 0 on their only wrong answer on day 2 for a 9(6)-9(5) tie. My DE goes from --- to 0.000 as the clock strikes midnight.

Also, at some point between LL73 and last night, I forgot how to spell "Roth(s)child".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Big Red Spot," alas. At least it wasn't my margin of defeat in either of my lost matches.