LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH »

I got only the third 9(6) of my career yesterday. My suspicions that it was an easy set were mostly confirmed, though I was really surprised by the low get rate on Great Red Spot, especially given that the MCWA only had a 7% response rate. (EDIT: I guess other valid answers being rejected may have something to do with it. That question had "problematic" written all over it).

I also spent all day pondering African countries before I finally got to the Ivory Coast. I wasn't expecting a 90% get rate on that one, though I guess that the mention of Aftica and a banned product in the question probably should have pointed me right to it. And I nearly went with Angola, thinking of another (mostly) illegal product!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

So...I missed "a lot" on MD1. I went to the gym last night, and guess what song was blasting as I was starting my workout?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MD2: Felt pretty good about 5 correct answers until I woke up this morning and saw that I lost 7(5)-8(5).

It's ok, this guy deserved a win after losing all 4 of our previous match-ups
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:45 am "Big Red Spot," alas. At least it wasn't my margin of defeat in either of my lost matches.
My wife (after we both submitted): Some of these were really easy. No one could miss the Great Red Spot!

Me: Guess who wrote "Giant Red Spot".
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:12 am After lucking into a forfeit win on day 1 with only 3 right, of course I drop the 0 on their only wrong answer on day 2 for a 9(6)-9(5) tie. My DE goes from --- to 0.000 as the clock strikes midnight.

Also, at some point between LL73 and last night, I forgot how to spell "Roth(s)child".
Makes me wonder where you're placed, as my only miss came when (like at least one other boardie here) I submitted BIG Red Spot. I got luckier than I would ever expect with my track record that I was assigned 0 on it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

gnash wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:34 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:45 am "Big Red Spot," alas. At least it wasn't my margin of defeat in either of my lost matches.
My wife (after we both submitted): Some of these were really easy. No one could miss the Great Red Spot!

Me: Guess who wrote "Giant Red Spot".
You almost had company :lol:
I waffled, even wondering if it was only "The Red Spot" before deciding that Thorsten wouldn't construct a 3 word TOM using an article. I had "great", came back and changed to "giant", and luckily changed back to "great' because Giant just looked wrong.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I made the same mistake. And I am an astronomy buff; I knew better. Def a facepalm moment when I saw the correct answer.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I made the same mistake. And I am an astronomy buff; I knew better. Def a facepalm moment when I saw the correct answer.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I won 8(5)-3(3) yesterday and nearly drank a second straight beer. Yahtzee came to me as a possibility but I ultimately went with Connect 4. That was especially dumb considering that it makes no sense for that game to have a "namesake section."

I got lucky with poutine. I didn't think that it was right and only guessed it because it was the only Canadian dish that I could name, so I gave my opponent a 3. Luckily they missed it.

Three MDs into the season and I have only missed three questions. The inevitable regression to the mean is really going to hurt.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The most common wrong answer for the "Je pense, donc je suis" question is a real RTFQ moment (unless there were people who simply didn't know or remember the Latin and just put the thing they knew).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Had a mixed set of emotions seeing the reveal. Had an RTFQ moment on Q1 and gave two answers. Fortunately, my first was Glory (the one I was sure of) so my second, incorrect, answer of Malcolm X was thankfully ignored. However, my answer of Blues wasn’t accepted for the Billy Holliday/WC Handy answer, costing me both the six pack and the match.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I was surprised by the low get rate for "St. Louis Blues". W.C. Handy and "blues" deserves to be a Pavlov, and the Blues hockey team is in this year's Stanley Cup finals.

For me, poutine fell into the category of "what else could it be?" I first saw it on a menu about 20 years ago in a Toronto bar. By then, the Quebecois comfort food had gained a following in English Canada.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

I was kind of surprised by how high the get rate on the Denzel question was, because while it's easy enough to come up with some of the movies he'd likely have been nominated for, it was more or less a complete guess for me which ones he actually won (I went with The Hurricane). People know their Oscars!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ilcap wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm I was kind of surprised by how high the get rate on the Denzel question was, because while it's easy enough to come up with some of the movies he'd likely have been nominated for, it was more or less a complete guess for me which ones he actually won (I went with The Hurricane). People know their Oscars!
That or Tuesday...
Spoiler
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm starting off 0-3, in last place, and now 0-5 against the person who beat me yesterday, who has a lower QPct than I do.
The bad news: it's going to be a long season.
The good news: it's going to be a long season, and I can't fall in the standings.
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got the ever-elusive 9(5) victory yesterday. I went with Serbia and Kosovo, and while I should have thought of Montenegro, I'm still not sure why Kosovo was wrong. They tried to break away, but didn't really succeed at that time. But I have such a high score in geography, as soon as I submitted and saw I was wrong, I figured I was getting a 9(5) nonetheless and at least a tie.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:58 am The most common wrong answer for the "Je pense, donc je suis" question is a real RTFQ moment (unless there were people who simply didn't know or remember the Latin and just put the thing they knew).
I loved seeing that MCWA

Wasn’t getting St. Louis Blues with any of those clues. I’ll take the 6(5)-4(3) win and call it a day.

W 52nd / 6th Ave is called W.C. Handy place. That’s about all I know about the guy
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ilcap wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm I was kind of surprised by how high the get rate on the Denzel question was, because while it's easy enough to come up with some of the movies he'd likely have been nominated for, it was more or less a complete guess for me which ones he actually won (I went with The Hurricane). People know their Oscars!
Heck, even MulvaneyM got it right!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:59 am For me, poutine fell into the category of "what else could it be?" I first saw it on a menu about 20 years ago in a Toronto bar. By then, the Quebecois comfort food had gained a following in English Canada.
I'm not competing this season, only following, but I also figured WECIB, given the Québec reference. Of course, that required knowing about poutine in the first place.

My only direct experience with it was when Trader Joe's came up with a version probably about 7-8 years ago. Didn't last very long in the (Western US) stores as I recall. I think I tried it once, primarily as a nod to my Canadian fb friends.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I had one of my best defensive efforts ever last season, but I have managed to give up TWO 9(5)s in three matches this season.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.