LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:26 am
StevenH wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 am I had to chuckle when panettone was a question yesterday. I first learned that word when it came up in the national spelling bee many years ago.
Italian Christmas bread? I answered "born-in-a mangiare".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If that doesn't get a BWA nomination, there is no justice.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Only 53% getting "Laugh-In" makes me feel really old.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fell out of promotion, but it's still more crowded than the Scripps Bee podium point wise so there's time to get back in. Typically my splits are better after the midseason than before, so ... *crosses fingers*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:50 am
StevenH wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 am I had to chuckle when panettone was a question yesterday. I first learned that word when it came up in the national spelling bee many years ago.
I had that answer immediately but couldn't remember if panettone had all that fruit on top, so I changed it to "frangiapone", which is a nonsense word

Anyway, I still got the much needed win, 8(5)-6(4)
I could vividly picture this item on the shelf of my local Trader Joe's, but just couldn't.pull.the.name! and flailed with the also-seasonal-but-blatantly-germanic STOLLEN instead.

Lucky for me, I still managed the W (my first in both rundles). Woot!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

Finally won a game yesterday thanks to a 9(6). Those weren't good categories for me (art, TV, film) but I got everything very quickly except Sleeping Beauty, which took me about two minutes. I believe that came up on Jeopardy recently.
Good luck to everyone competing in the WQC tomorrow! It's the equivalent of 1.6 LL seasons in two hours.
Hoping for a third lap
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

I take issue with hummus being described as a condiment, since it can be eaten on its own. It is a dip or spread.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woo hoo! I'm leading my rundle in MCWA!

And was that question about a catamaran a bizarre coincidence or what?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I seems to have forgotten how to defend this season. I've already given up 14 points. I've had an season where I only gave up 14 points.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between humus and compost. I knew that there was a term related to soil called humus, but I didn't think that the food item was a condiment. It meant the difference between a loss and a win for me.

I lead my rundle in TCA, MPD, and TMP, and I am also towards the top in defense and have one of the lower CAA. But I'm only in 5th place. I may regret not being able to capitalize on the easy questions to start the season once the regression to the mean hits.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Still mercifully unbeaten after answering compost. I didn't have a prayer on the NBA question (I have never heard either of those names before), but my opponent scored my two misses at 1 and 2 points resulting in yet another tie.

I guess I'm fortunate that the games side of the games/sports category kept my average up to the point where they thought I might know.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

You guys think compost is a condiment? You are NOT invited to the potluck.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I have to assume that, like me, the others were thinking the "not to be confused" was compost/compote.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm You guys think compost is a condiment? You are NOT invited to the potluck.
Hey man given the wording of the question I thought there once could have been a condiment called compost! I feel dumb about it now but I just couldn't pull the trigger on hummus being considered a condiment.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 pm Only 53% getting "Laugh-In" makes me feel really old.
You bet your sweet bippy it does.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

After my seventh game of the rookie season, I probably should stay clam here, but I think my rundle status is at it's zenith so this is my virgin post as a competitor. I seem to be punching way above my weight to be in sixth place (of 18 in Taiga R Div. 2) with only 17 correct answers in 7 games for a 4-2-1 record. Opponents are averaging 20 correct answers (I'm not comfortable with the acronyms yet) but they are choking when they play me. And I've only given up 2 unforced points for an .882 DE.

I'm not playing for the "competition", but LOVE the stats and details. I don't care who beats me - I just want to get the ones I should (damn you Chernobyl and Water Lillies). This overkill for statistics resembles what I've always done, either in my job, or playing golf, or competing in decathlons, road races, whatever. Give me two numbers and I'll take the standard deviation of them (most of you will get this joke).

Anyhow, it can't be just beginner's luck as all 18 of us are beginners. I've concluded that it is my most awesome flag (which is my new avatar here) that intimidates my fellow rooks. But like a junkball pitcher, I'm sure they will light me up here in the second trimester :).

It's enjoyable to be part of this community - thanks morbeedo for the sponsorship. I can't imagine you guys in the upper echelons, 5 and 6 correct answers is like the difference between a professional golfer and me. I look forward to toiling in the low minors for the next several seasons until they raise the bar for admission :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 am Woo hoo! I'm leading my rundle in MCWA!

And was that question about a catamaran a bizarre coincidence or what?
Speaking of coincidences, there was a question about the Great Red Spot on WQC. At least this time I didn't call it Giant.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robin Masters took me a good 10 minutes to dredge up from my memory, with brief stops at Higgins and Robin Colcord from Cheers. Because of that, I left off the first name (but was still counted correct). That's the kind of thing I used to know cold.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I figured out what those characters had in common, but I couldn't name any character besides Magnum himself. I guessed "Chief," though I guess Magnum wouldn't be a private eye if he answered to a chief.

I won 6(3)-5(4), with great help from knowing modulo and being sure my opponent wouldn't, and my opponent valuing NPC at 3 points.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I lost 0(1)-1(1). We are now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I doubt that it would have counted, but I didn't catch that my phone autocorrected to one-person character from non-person character. On the oft chance that it would have counted I still would have only tied.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

LL81 MD8 Q6 wrote:Charlie Townsend in Charlie's Angels, Mrs. Wolowitz from The Big Bang Theory, Vera Peterson in Cheers, and Maris Crane in Frasier—all of these characters are distinctive in a particular manner that is also shared by what character in Magnum P.I.?
OPUS, PENGUIN EYE