LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

shambolic

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by shambolic »

Yet another 4(4) for me. Frustratingly, I figured out the gist of both questions I missed (i.e., the book cover was a female comedian's head on a male body, and the list of characters in Q6 never appear on screen), but was unable to convert either into a get (lamely punting with "Joan Rivers" and "Magnum's wife"). Asking for a secondary character from Magnum PI is pretty tough imo, though maybe it's a generational thing.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:41 am
LL81 MD8 Q6 wrote:Charlie Townsend in Charlie's Angels, Mrs. Wolowitz from The Big Bang Theory, Vera Peterson in Cheers, and Maris Crane in Frasier—all of these characters are distinctive in a particular manner that is also shared by what character in Magnum P.I.?
OPUS, PENGUIN EYE
Spoiler
That's right! Think about it. You never see me on that show.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Dipped back toward the median with a 3(3). Somehow still tied.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Anyhow, it can't be just beginner's luck as all 18 of us are beginners. I've concluded that it is my most awesome flag (which is my new avatar here) that intimidates my fellow rooks. But like a junkball pitcher, I'm sure they will light me up here in the second trimester :).

It's enjoyable to be part of this community - thanks morbeedo for the sponsorship. I can't imagine you guys in the upper echelons, 5 and 6 correct answers is like the difference between a professional golfer and me. I look forward to toiling in the low minors for the next several seasons until they raise the bar for admission :).
that is one quality flag, my man!

my luck has reversed. I'm playing suboptimal defense and now find myself at the top of the red zone in B Taiga. still early days and I do not plan on getting relegated

got 3 & 2/3 correct yesterday, bombing out with non-player category. had i contemplated the questions earlier in the day, I might have figured it out, but I still woulda lost :/
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

shambolic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 am Yet another 4(4) for me. Frustratingly, I figured out the gist of both questions I missed (i.e., the book cover was a female comedian's head on a male body, and the list of characters in Q6 never appear on screen), but was unable to convert either into a get (lamely punting with "Joan Rivers" and "Magnum's wife"). Asking for a secondary character from Magnum PI is pretty tough imo, though maybe it's a generational thing.
I could've told you what the characters had in common, but I never would've pulled the name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Was anyone else shocked that Tina Fey hit 50%? I still have no idea about that one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:20 am Was anyone else shocked that Tina Fey hit 50%? I still have no idea about that one.
I got that one on a very lucky guess. Hairy arms? Comedian who wrote a bestseller in 2010? I decided it had to be female and started with Chelsea Handler, but decided that it was too long ago for her and went, on a whim, for Tina Fey. On another day, it might have been Amy Poehler, but them's the breaks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:20 am Was anyone else shocked that Tina Fey hit 50%? I still have no idea about that one.
My no idea guess on it was Robin Williams.

I got a tie because the zero was assigned to me on the Magnum P.I. clue as I would be expected to know that one and instead it is one of those shows I have never seen. Only with choices could I have picked out Masters for having come across it at some point.

Apologies to ouachiouat for costing him an outright victory as I would say your defense should have been perfect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:52 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Anyhow, it can't be just beginner's luck as all 18 of us are beginners. I've concluded that it is my most awesome flag (which is my new avatar here) that intimidates my fellow rooks. But like a junkball pitcher, I'm sure they will light me up here in the second trimester :).

It's enjoyable to be part of this community - thanks morbeedo for the sponsorship. I can't imagine you guys in the upper echelons, 5 and 6 correct answers is like the difference between a professional golfer and me. I look forward to toiling in the low minors for the next several seasons until they raise the bar for admission :).
that is one quality flag, my man!

my luck has reversed. I'm playing suboptimal defense and now find myself at the top of the red zone in B Taiga. still early days and I do not plan on getting relegated

got 3 & 2/3 correct yesterday, bombing out with non-player category. had i contemplated the questions earlier in the day, I might have figured it out, but I still woulda lost :/
I went with non playing COORDINATOR - I think I would have divined Character if I thought about it.
Bummed about missing the math question, I wanted badly to go with mod - did not think of modulo and don't know if they are the same. Finally decided to go with "base" because I didn't want to overthink.
I went with Robin Williams as a WAG.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm I wanted badly to go with mod - did not think of modulo and don't know if they are the same.
Same thing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

shambolic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 am Asking for a secondary character from Magnum PI is pretty tough imo, though maybe it's a generational thing.
Could be. I expected a much higher get rate on that one, but then again I watched reruns of Magnum P.I. every day after morning swim practice when I was around 18. No way I was missing it!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I couldn't remember the number of blows in the Truffaut title. It caused a tie in public where I could have won, and a loss in private where I could have tied. But frankly the tie is about as much as one can ask for when one only answers two questions correctly in an A rundle.
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:21 am But frankly the tie is about as much as one can ask for when one only answers two questions correctly in an A rundle.
For an idea of how hard yesterday was compared the first 8 days, a 1(1)-1(1) tie was good enough to move me into first place in A Juniper.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The 400 Blows was the only Truffaut film I knew but I didn't think that it was right. I ended up giving my opponent a 3 for that one instead of Jacobs (which I had no idea on and was expecting a get rate that was about what it turned out to be), so I thought for sure that I had doomed myself. It turns out that they knew Jacobs and not the film, though it was irrelevant since I won 5(3)-3(3). I am really surprised that The 400 Blows played so tough, especially with no MCWA.

I had definitely heard of Mack trucks, but I always thought that mack was a type of truck and not a company. I learned something new!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:15 am I am really surprised that The 400 Blows played so tough, especially with no MCWA.

I had definitely heard of Mack trucks, but I always thought that mack was a type of truck and not a company. I learned something new!
I considered The 400 Blows, but Day for Night sounded more nonsensical to me. :(

Had I thought of Mack, I would have had my first ever Buckner win, and it would have been timely!

Instead, I had my second ever 0(0), in my 25th season. :(
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm getting whiplash... over the past 5 games, I moved down one spot...buy dropping 6, then 7 then back up 7 and then another 5 .

Six points separate 1st and 24th (out of 26), and 9 TCA between the top 24. Hooray being in an NL Central of LL...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This number of games I've lost is also the name of a Star Trek: Voyager character.
The correct response:
Spoiler
What is Seven of Nine?
I didn't think yesterday was all that tough (lost 3(3)-4(4)), but 13% got 0(0)'s and only 0.5% got 9(6)'s.
Hoping for a third lap
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

I missed The 400 Blows because I decided Shoot the Piano Player sounded more plausible as French for "run wild." Oof.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

The relegation to E is doing me good. Tops in TCA, and DE right now and sitting in 1st place.

Waiting for the inevitable fall back to fighting for promotion.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I just watched The 400 Blows for the first time last Saturday and noted on Wikipedia the meaning of the title. Synchronicity.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.