LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 am
Coriolis played easier than I expected. I can never predict what science-y stuff non-science-y people know.
Opposite for me. I thought this was taught in every elementary school science class and I figured it'd be closer to 80-90%. Of course, we don't teach that the world is dying due to man made climate change, and that seems pretty important, so what do I know about elementary education now?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I got crushed yesterday 1(1)-9(5). Upon opening the Q's, the only one I had any clue on was Steve Miller and there was no way I was missing that one as I listened the the greatest hits tape about 400 times in high school. Coriolis was one of those things I knew I should know but I was never getting it. One Classical/Lit question and another lit question in the same day? Come on. I knew the Lhotse sounded familiar and I did put them in the right area...but I went with Vishnu thinking maybe they were Hindu gods as I thought there were a bunch of them. I've never watched or read Handmaids Tale, went with Vikings with no confidence.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Steve Miller I got from a recent TD, Handmaid's Tale I got from our discussion last year on "Off-red" vs "Of-fred" (Still haven't seen the show/read the book) And I can trace Coriolis back to that Simpsons episode where they go to Australia; it was probably mentioned in science class, but that clearly wasn't as memorable.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 am I started out with Dalai as the first entry but scratched that because I knew the Panchen Lama was the second highest ranking. From there I thought “what else gets Tibetan/Nepalese names?” and also recognized a few of those names.
That's what I thought, too, but Lhotse kept smacking me, telling me to keep thinking about it. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:34 pm I got crushed yesterday 1(1)-9(5). Upon opening the Q's, the only one I had any clue on was Steve Miller and there was no way I was missing that one as I listened the the greatest hits tape about 400 times in high school. Coriolis was one of those things I knew I should know but I was never getting it. One Classical/Lit question and another lit question in the same day? Come on. I knew the Lhotse sounded familiar and I did put them in the right area...but I went with Vishnu thinking maybe they were Hindu gods as I thought there were a bunch of them. I've never watched or read Handmaids Tale, went with Vikings with no confidence.
In contrast, this was one of the easiest days ever for me. I bet I had all six answers entered within a minute or two. I did have to go back and correct Q1 because I misread it the first time and thought it was asking for alternate names for the first mountain listed (e.g. K2 or Godwin-Austen).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought I had a 6-pack, but Ode did not pass muster for Pastoral. Ode to Joy came immediately to mind.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:44 pm I thought I had a 6-pack, but Ode did not pass muster for Pastoral. Ode to Joy came immediately to mind.
There are 3 Beethoven symphonies with common names: Eroica (3rd), Pastoral (6th), and Choral (9th). Ode to Joy is (at most) the last movement of the 9th Symphony.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm
Woof wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 am I started out with Dalai as the first entry but scratched that because I knew the Panchen Lama was the second highest ranking. From there I thought “what else gets Tibetan/Nepalese names?” and also recognized a few of those names.
That's what I thought, too, but Lhotse kept smacking me, telling me to keep thinking about it. :)
I thought the names looked Tibetan-ish, but figured it was something really hard and obscure. But I have learned from here how EVERY WORD in a Thorsten clue is meaningful, and figuring out the FIRST name would have to imply something easier than it seems. I guessed Everest, and then gave it a 3 pointer which turned out to be a gift. However, I managed a 7(3) - 6(3) win because I got gifted a 3 for Coriolis (6-6 in Science now, I don't think that will happen again).

I considered pastoral over and over, but never heard it used for the music or the books, and just wagged "Nocturne".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I got my first Mirror Match tie yesterday. Same defense, same right and wrong answers. That's kind of cool.

Also my brain was combining Frommer's and Fodor's travel guides into something approximating "Froyer's" which I knew wasn't right. So I focused on trying to remember the travel section from when I worked at Barnes and Noble, and it served me up Lonely Planet, which at least I could spell. (Also, the people in the question were not named Fodor or Frommer.) Lucky guess.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am The relegation to E is doing me good. Tops in TCA, and DE right now and sitting in 1st place.

Waiting for the inevitable fall back to fighting for promotion.
Sigh... and now I lost a game I should have won or tied. Opponent 0 for 4 on classical music is now 1 for 5.

Also, I never heard of those other peaks. Was Everest that easy?
Okay. Now I'm just being punished for my hubris. Lost 2 in a row, still have the highest TCA in my E rundle though. Opponent picked up 3 in the last match so I lost 3(3)-4(3). Was "Nigeria" really that easy? Should I have defended it with fewer points?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:16 am Okay. Now I'm just being punished for my hubris. Lost 2 in a row, still have the highest TCA in my E rundle though. Opponent picked up 3 in the last match so I lost 3(3)-4(3). Was "Nigeria" really that easy? Should I have defended it with fewer points?
Hindsight would certainly say so.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Oh, it felt so good to dredge up the Marquis de Sade out of the back of my brain. I had been all "I know I can get this, let me stew on it" for most of the day when the "Hospital at Charendon" part faintly evoked the movie "Quills", which is about de Sade in a sanitarium (I think, I never saw that one). Once I thought of that, I realized, "Holy crap, this is Marat / Sade, isn't it?" It was like a runner's high.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 am Oh, it felt so good to dredge up the Marquis de Sade out of the back of my brain. I had been all "I know I can get this, let me stew on it" for most of the day when the "Hospital at Charendon" part faintly evoked the movie "Quills", which is about de Sade in a sanitarium (I think, I never saw that one). Once I thought of that, I realized, "Holy crap, this is Marat / Sade, isn't it?" It was like a runner's high.
That was an impressive get. It was the obvious 3-pointer in this set, even though I recognized nothing in the question. Only 3 in A Magnolia got it, and I lost to one who got it snd all of them.

My guess is probably the most wrong : hmm play in German in 1964 — maybe the sound of music? I'll say Maria.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 am Oh, it felt so good to dredge up the Marquis de Sade out of the back of my brain. I had been all "I know I can get this, let me stew on it" for most of the day when the "Hospital at Charendon" part faintly evoked the movie "Quills", which is about de Sade in a sanitarium (I think, I never saw that one). Once I thought of that, I realized, "Holy crap, this is Marat / Sade, isn't it?" It was like a runner's high.
Charenton was the magic word in that clue; Thorsten cleverly hid it in plain sight among those intimidating German words. Charenton took me to Marat/Sade. On the other hand, I grossly overthought the Yorubaland question (my answer: Sudan) even though the first thing that popped into my head was Nigeria.

Note to self: Don't overthink questions.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, Hosiptal at Charendon was the key for me, too, but i’ve also a) seen the play (long ago) and b) know enough German to verify the title. Funny, though, how technical German doesn’t cover terms like persecution or assassination...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am usually good at the quiz bowl centric clues but I had never heard of Marat/Sade, though Peter Weiss does ring a faint bell. I had no good guess, so I went with Hansel.

I got the other five. Lonely Planet was an educated guess, as I seem to remember a teacher or professor showing some of the videos in class way back when.

For once I was right on a 50 50 90 guess between ammonia and methane, though the former was my clear first instinct.

Yoruba is pavlov for Nigeria, though I was hoping that it wasn't a trick question.

Once again I get a 0 in a weak category for me where my opponent misses the question. I didn't think that the Captain America question was hard, but I always find it strange when that happens.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Marat/Sade was the first theatre question in 11 match days! Boo!

I missed Captain America but eked out a much needed win 8(5)-7(5). Not feeling too good at the bottom of B Taiga, but there is still plenty of time!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ah, nothing like waking up to discover I stole a game 4(4)-5(3). That was a gift to get 3 on the paella.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was a little disappointed to only get a 6(5)-6(5) tie since the only answer I knew cold yesterday was ammonia. I was amazed I actually got five right with so many guesses. The only one I missed was the play and can't say I've ever heard of Marat/Sade.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got 3 points on Lonely Planet. Evidently my opponent didn't know that I've been known to do a little travelling. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide