LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH »

I managed to win with only 2 correct and move up to third place (in the promotion zone) of my rundle, but yeah, yesterday was a fall back down to earth. I knew Porter cold (though I sometimes confuse her with Edna Ferber and had to read the clue carefully to make sure I had the right one) and Liverpool was a lucky guess, as I am not a soccer fan.

I had Mbeki but could not pull Zuma. Frisian sounded familiar but I would have never pulled it. And I guessed Freddie Mercury for Kenny G.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:49 am OK, now that was a hard set! And even worse, double 2(3)-3(3) losses.
Double 1(2) losses for me. I managed to pull up Kenny G from somewhere, and I've seen a lot of Holsteins.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I'm a little chagrined at being unable to bring forth Mbeki, though I had Zuma right off. I am not one tiny iota upset by having no clue whatsoever with the Kenny G question and proud to say I could not have told you a single song title associated with said 'artist', a descriptor which might seem to eliminate the correct answer.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I have heard of Marat/Sade, but had no idea by whom where or when. I though "unter anleitung" might mean "under enlightment" so guessed it was the German version of "the Miracle Worker".

I got half the South Africa question from my faint memory of a world leader anagrams category in the Summer Hiatus Challenge some years back. I think I guessed "Akibe Tomba" or "Akiba Tombe" that time, but apparently "Mbeki" stuck well enough that I was able to come up with "Mbeke". Alas, I had no idea about the other name. Fortunately, my world history score induced a zero from my opponent.

I thought of Captain America but answered Prince Namor, because I thought he went back pretty far. In any case, the Wikipedia article on the Avengers describes the Captain as a retroactive founding member. Now, is that a cheat or what?

I haven't read Ship of Fools, but I saw the movie. Guessed Joni Mitchell for the songbird.

We made paella one fun day in Spanish class. Beat the hell out of dissecting a frog.
I'm smart and I want respect.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

When I saw "Going Home" and a year in the 80s, my first thought was Bon Jovi. You know, completely ignoring the fact that the song I was thinking of was actually performed by Daughtry, and MUCH later. :oops:

Wouldn't have mattered anyway, as I couldn't have pulled the final two questions for anything (don't follow soccer, couldn't remember Zuma, and this is the first time I can recall hearing of Mbeki), and the only two 6-packs in my group were by the leader and my opponent who played well above their pay grade.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:56 pm The difficulty of the question came not only from the relative obscurity of the play, but also from the fact that you had to be able to decipher at least the gist of the German title and know enough about the play to identify it based on that context, or alternatively know that it was written by a German and set in the Charenton asylum. The only thing that puzzles me is why anyone assigned less than 3 points on defense for this question.
I didn't really interpret any of the German, I just knew it was a ridiculously long play title with two names in it. (I had "Marat/Sade" as assigned reading in high school English class.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought it was cruel requiring both Mbeki AND Zuma. Very un-Thorsten-like.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:54 pm I thought of Captain America but answered Prince Namor, because I thought he went back pretty far. In any case, the Wikipedia article on the Avengers describes the Captain as a retroactive founding member. Now, is that a cheat or what?
The five members of the Avengers in Avengers #1 back in the 60s were Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man, and the Wasp. But the question was about the Marvel Cinematic Universe, not the comics. The Sub-Mariner hasn't made any movie appearances (MCU or not) as far as I know. (Also the title of the first Cap film is Captain America: The First Avenger, which is what the question asked.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 am I thought it was cruel requiring both Mbeki AND Zuma. Very un-Thorsten-like.
Funny thing: I was sure I'd be wrong on that one because I thought Zuma came immediately after Mbeki, but those were the only two I could name, so I put them down. Pleasant surprise!

But yes, odd imbalance with asking only one of the Premier League teams in very recent epic contest, but two specific South African presidents. Reverse that, and both questions would have been in the tough-but-normal 30-something % range.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:11 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 am I thought it was cruel requiring both Mbeki AND Zuma. Very un-Thorsten-like.
Funny thing: I was sure I'd be wrong on that one because I thought Zuma came immediately after Mbeki, but those were the only two I could name, so I put them down. Pleasant surprise!

But yes, odd imbalance with asking only one of the Premier League teams in very recent epic contest, but two specific South African presidents. Reverse that, and both questions would have been in the tough-but-normal 30-something % range.
For the EPL question, I would have much preferred a question along the line of "Which two Premier League teams recently competed in the UEFA Champions League Final?" but then again I watch EPL football regularly.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Woof wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am
gnash wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:11 pm

For the EPL question, I would have much preferred a question along the line of "Which two Premier League teams recently competed in the UEFA Champions League Final?" but then again I watch EPL football regularly.
I was deciding between Man City, Liverpool, and Tottenham. I remembered seeing the result of the Champions league final and went with Tottenham.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

lost 5(3) - 6(4) after my opponent (who had missed all previous computer related Q's) got checksum... Kind of a weird day defense-wise on both sides as my best categories on the day are film and tv, and I missed both of those. My worst categories from the day are science (missed), food (got, I lived in Georgia for a while and have been to Vidalia), and Pop Music (got, Shania was first thing that popped in my head).
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Frustrating "almost got there" on the actor question. I couldn't recognize any of those roles, but from "certainly not the most famous" I figured out it had to be an actor with some stand-out signature role(s). Based on that, I narrowed it down to Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. How to decide? Which of these names stands out as potentially helpful? Well, one is Russian. Didn't Connery play a Russian submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October? And the Russian one is a captain? That seems to fit, OK, let's go with Connery.

Had I taken another look at the names and titles, I might have realized that a bald, bearded President with a Scottish accent would be the weirdest casting choice in Hollywood history.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am Frustrating "almost got there" on the actor question. I couldn't recognize any of those roles, but from "certainly not the most famous" I figured out it had to be an actor with some stand-out signature role(s). Based on that, I narrowed it down to Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. How to decide? Which of these names stands out as potentially helpful? Well, one is Russian. Didn't Connery play a Russian submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October? And the Russian one is a captain? That seems to fit, OK, let's go with Connery.

Had I taken another look at the names and titles, I might have realized that a bald, bearded President with a Scottish accent would be the weirdest casting choice in Hollywood history.
I love Red October and Connery's character is Marco Rameus so I didn't consider him. Also, I don't think of Harrison Ford as a legend so even though I considered him I stuck with names I think of as legends like Bogart, Redford, Newman...and then I thought, Jack Nicholson has been in a ton of movies and played the president in Mars Attacks. Iconic roles? Col. Jesup, Jack Torrance from the Shining...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I managed to totally misread the Harrison Ford question. I thought it was asking about multiple roles in the same movie, didn't read the names, saw "President" and instinctively answered Peter Sellers. Fortunately, I was given a zero on that one and eked out the win.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am I managed to totally misread the Harrison Ford question. I thought it was asking about multiple roles in the same movie, didn't read the names, saw "President" and instinctively answered Peter Sellers. Fortunately, I was given a zero on that one and eked out the win.
I will like to watch when your answer gets selected for the Very Best Wrong Answer.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I knew I had heard of the "Linus" character. Somehow convinced myself that it was Morgan Freeman in "Now You See Me". I knew he played a President in Deep Impact, and that was it.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Throwing a Russian military guy into the character list was some good neg bait. I have no memory of the existence of K-19: The Widowmaker at all.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I said John Wayne. Him playing a Russian seemed unlikely, but he was in a lot of movies.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 am I said John Wayne. Him playing a Russian seemed unlikely, but he was in a lot of movies.
Well, if he can play a Mongolian, why not a Russian?