LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by alietr »

I have an econ degree and don't remember ever hearing the name David Ricardo. The 6% on grisaille I can believe, but I'm skeptical of 14% knowing Ricardo (especially with almost double that on the MCWA (among them, mine)). But my opponent thought I would, so I did manage to take down my rundle's leader though we both got 4 right. You're welcome, Vermonter.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 am I have an econ degree and don't remember ever hearing the name David Ricardo. The 6% on grisaille I can believe, but I'm skeptical of 14% knowing Ricardo (especially with almost double that on the MCWA (among them, mine)). But my opponent thought I would, so I did manage to take down my rundle's leader though we both got 4 right. You're welcome, Vermonter.
David Ricardo comes up all the time in quiz bowl, especially at novice level tournaments. Granted, I thought that "The High Price of Bullion" was his most famous work, but the title sounded familiar enough that it and the year and nationality got me to him.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 am I have an econ degree and don't remember ever hearing the name David Ricardo.
I've heard his name, but I was never coming up with him.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 am
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 am I have an econ degree and don't remember ever hearing the name David Ricardo. The 6% on grisaille I can believe, but I'm skeptical of 14% knowing Ricardo (especially with almost double that on the MCWA (among them, mine)). But my opponent thought I would, so I did manage to take down my rundle's leader though we both got 4 right. You're welcome, Vermonter.
David Ricardo comes up all the time in quiz bowl, especially at novice level tournaments. Granted, I thought that "The High Price of Bullion" was his most famous work, but the title sounded familiar enough that it and the year and nationality got me to him.
Yeah, I feel like Ricardo is trivia canon. My reaction to seeing the 14% get rate was that it was a little lower than I'd expected.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

American econ curriculums are notorious for ignoring economic history. It wouldn't surprise me if he was never mentioned in undergrad econ. These days he most often comes up in the context of Ricardian equivalence, but that's usually grad-level macro.

Fun fact: I learned about Ricardo in 9th grade Marxism. Not at any depth, of course, but enough for the name to stick.

I am not sure what you mean by "skeptical of 14%" and how it relates to the MCWA %. Smith is a reasonable Hail Mary answer because he is by far the best known British (though definitely not English!) classical economist. And some fraction of those 26% may have just put down "Smith" because they do that every time they don't know the answer to the question that asks for a person's name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am I am not sure what you mean by "skeptical of 14%" and how it relates to the MCWA %. Smith is a reasonable Hail Mary answer because he is by far the best known British (though definitely not English!) classical economist. And some fraction of those 26% may have just put down "Smith" because they do that every time they don't know the answer to the question that asks for a person's name.
Surprised probably would have been better than skeptical, especially given the comments above.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 am
gnash wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am I am not sure what you mean by "skeptical of 14%" and how it relates to the MCWA %. Smith is a reasonable Hail Mary answer because he is by far the best known British (though definitely not English!) classical economist. And some fraction of those 26% may have just put down "Smith" because they do that every time they don't know the answer to the question that asks for a person's name.
Surprised probably would have been better than skeptical, especially given the comments above.
I knew not to guess Adam Smith and to have something I wrote Malthus.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

In probably the biggest oops of my LL career, I read the last question as "hosts of SNL" (confusing Delaney with Mulaney and disregarding the rest) and answered Mindy Kaling :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 am In probably the biggest oops of my LL career, I read the last question as "hosts of SNL" (confusing Delaney with Mulaney and disregarding the rest) and answered Mindy Kaling :oops:
Did you note that the MCW was Bib Marley? Talk about an oops. My Kosman koin came up Tulsi Gabbard sadly, costing me the tie. It did lead me to read the fascinating story of Gabbards childhood.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I usually find it hard to guess how hard a question in my wheelhouse would play, but I was pretty sure this one would be tough. And even if he's standard quiz bowl material, LL is now so big that most players probably never played quiz bowl.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 am
I knew not to guess Adam Smith and to have something I wrote Malthus.
That's probably the most reasonable wrong answer. Unlike Smith, Malthus was English and alive in 1817. He and Ricardo were contemporaries and rivals of sort.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am I managed to totally misread the Harrison Ford question. I thought it was asking about multiple roles in the same movie, didn't read the names, saw "President" and instinctively answered Peter Sellers. Fortunately, I was given a zero on that one and eked out the win.
Not getting President James Marshall is going to land me in trouble with the University of Michigan Alumni Association. Marshall is one of U-M's fictional alumni.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I quickly made a vague connection that I had seen Gottlieb and/or Bally's signs in an entertainment context, but I couldn't form any mental image of either. So I narrowed it down to pinball and juke box. Already had pinball written down, based on thinking that the years were too early for juke boxes. But then for some stupid reason I switched to juke box. When I saw the answer, an excessively loud expletive was heard throughout my house (and probably beyond).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I play a lot of pinball to this day, so that one was easy for me. Unfortunately I gauged its difficulty poorly and assigned it zero and that cost me the match.

The surprising one for me yesterday was Q1. I had Hamitic and was quite surprised that wasn't the MCWA given the clue that it was named for one of Noah's sons.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

"I thought I was the Bally table king /
But I just handed my pinball crown to him...
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm The surprising one for me yesterday was Q1. I had Hamitic and was quite surprised that wasn't the MCWA given the clue that it was named for one of Noah's sons.
Hamitic was my guess.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

That's interesting. While I know about Ricardo's Iron Law of Wages from quizbowl, as well as the book it came from, it was also covered in an introductory microeconomics class that I took.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm
That's interesting. While I know about Ricardo's Iron Law of Wages from quizbowl, as well as the book it came from, it was also covered in an introductory microeconomics class that I took.
Well, it has been 40 years, so it's certainly possible it was covered at the time.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Remembering that John Stuart Mill by a mighty effort of will overcame his natural bonhomie and wrote "Principles of Political Economy", I didn't waste much time on that one. I didn't read as far as "taxation" because my eyes were already glazing over. On the other hand, I can't remember ever hearing of David Ricardo before. It is a hard name to rhyme.

Bally was the only company name that rang my bell, but I was only thinking of exercise machines. As that seemed possibly too vague, I wrote "treadmill" guessing that the "video" version meant a TV screen whose background changes in response to your walk.They do have such things, don't they? I'd hate to think I just gave away a million dollar idea.

I asked myself why "gray" was italicised and guessed it was because the answer was "italic".

I suppose I could have got Kamala Harris (said the man with the .381 current events score).
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm I suppose I could have got Kamala Harris (said the man with the .381 current events score).
Even if I knew they were presidential hopefuls, I still doubt I would have gotten Harris.