LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by gnash » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 pm
Shanahan withdraws as Defense Secretary nominee. The guy wants to spend more time with his family ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
From what's been reported, the only thing worse than his family would be a land war in Asia, but now that that's what he'd likely be in charge of, he settled for the family.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by gnash » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:34 pm

"Cleveland, obviously... wait, wasn't Erie, PA also a big industrial center that fits geographically, and clues have been kinda tough lately? Yeah, let's go with Erie."

And that's the continuing story of my season.

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by RJRouge » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 am

I'm pretty keen on geography and still had no hope on Meadows. I am disappointed that my submission of "L'Anse aux Calrissian" didn't seem good enough for a BWA, though.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am

I won with 1 correct yesterday. Thank goodness that the educated guess worked out on Navajo.

I saw "Nickelodeon reboot" and locked in on All That. True, I watched All That back in the day and didn't recognize the names, but I thought that they could have been from the later seasons.

Math is my best category but I had no idea on mantissa. I do seem to remember that word coming up in LL before but I couldn't find where in my question history.

I could hear "Lady" in my head and considered Lionel Richie, but I thought that his career *exploded* before the '80s. But I don't know why I thought that Ike Turner was the better guess.

I had no idea on the other two. I guessed interior designing for makeup and Labrador for meadows.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:28 am

Not sure what happened to the "easy" LL81, but I am down to my lowest correct percentage since my rookie season. But, I am getting by with a 2(2) -0(0) win for my 3rd in a row. Blues Clues I've seen with the kids, and Navajo was pretty much a WECIB for me. The others? I suppose with different clue writing I could've got Ritchie but with the combo of 1980, R&B singer, soon to explode solo career led me to Michael Jackson although I did think, is he R&B? Mantissa and Meadows...never getting those. Makeup artist? Nope...started with tattoo then thought Charlotte looked familiar from baking shows my kids watch so went with cake decorating.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6515
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by alietr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am

RJRouge wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 am
I'm pretty keen on geography and still had no hope on Meadows. I am disappointed that my submission of "L'Anse aux Calrissian" didn't seem good enough for a BWA, though.
Am I missing something? I thought BWAs only show up at the end-of-season voting nowadays.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am

Lost again, 3(3)-5(4), to a player who had 5 TCA in the previous three MDs

Kid's shows, obscure math terms and archaeological sites are not my forte

Stuck in 2nd to last place with the 2nd highest CAA

Trying to be zen, enjoy the game play and let go of the results! :?

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4535
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:41 am

gnash wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 pm
Shanahan withdraws as Defense Secretary nominee. The guy wants to spend more time with his family ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
From what's been reported, the only thing worse than his family would be a land war in Asia, but now that that's what he'd likely be in charge of, he settled for the family.
Ouch! And can we just retire the "wants to spend more time with his/her family" thing already?
...
Math was one of my opponent's worst categories yesterday, but he was still able to pull "mantissa." I still won, but that certainly didn't help my DE.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4535
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 am

StevenH wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am
I could hear "Lady" in my head and considered Lionel Richie, but I thought that his career *exploded* before the '80s.
My first instinct was Richie, and I stuck with it, but this one was complicated by the fact that The Commodores also had a song called "Lady" [well, technically "Lady (You Bring Me Up)"] in the early '80s that's a completely different song. Not to mention "Three Times A Lady."

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by RJRouge » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am
RJRouge wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 am
I'm pretty keen on geography and still had no hope on Meadows. I am disappointed that my submission of "L'Anse aux Calrissian" didn't seem good enough for a BWA, though.
Am I missing something? I thought BWAs only show up at the end-of-season voting nowadays.
Has that changed? I remember seeing them listed per question (if there was one that tickled the proctor's fancy enough, anyway) the day answers were revealed as recently as last season.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by sarisson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm

I'm finally out of the relegation zone! After consecutive wins against Blue Lion and mrparadise, I get to face mrexley today (perhaps the strongest player in my A division) so I may be heading back down soon.
There have been eight straight match days at under 50% league-wide. So no, this season is NOT easier.
In for a second lap

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:18 pm

RJRouge wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am
RJRouge wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 am
I'm pretty keen on geography and still had no hope on Meadows. I am disappointed that my submission of "L'Anse aux Calrissian" didn't seem good enough for a BWA, though.
Am I missing something? I thought BWAs only show up at the end-of-season voting nowadays.
Has that changed? I remember seeing them listed per question (if there was one that tickled the proctor's fancy enough, anyway) the day answers were revealed as recently as last season.
The last few seasons, he has put the BWAs under the questions during the last weekend of the season, and not right after each match day like he used to.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by Blue Lion » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm

sarisson wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm
I'm finally out of the relegation zone! After consecutive wins against Blue Lion and mrparadise, I get to face mrexley today (perhaps the strongest player in my A division) so I may be heading back down soon.
There have been eight straight match days at under 50% league-wide. So no, this season is NOT easier.
The questions have gotten considerably tougher as the season went on.

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by mrparadise » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm

sarisson wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm
I'm finally out of the relegation zone! After consecutive wins against Blue Lion and mrparadise, I get to face mrexley today (perhaps the strongest player in my A division) so I may be heading back down soon.
There have been eight straight match days at under 50% league-wide. So no, this season is NOT easier.
No, Sir, it most certainly is not. It would take a small miracle to avoid relegation. I'm tired of being pummeled so perhaps there's a silver lining.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1329
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by twelvefootboy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 pm

StevenH wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am

Math is my best category but I had no idea on mantissa. I do seem to remember that word coming up in LL before but I couldn't find where in my question history.

I could hear "Lady" in my head and considered Lionel Richie, but I thought that his career *exploded* before the '80s. But I don't know why I thought that Ike Turner was the better guess.
The term "Mantissa" brought up a repressed high school memory in Algebra II class. I expect only math teachers pulled this one out. Somehow, I did keep thinking "abscissa", and rejecting it as knowing it goes with ordinate and don't ask me which is which.

I seem to be the only Lou Rawls guesstimate for Lady. Once I thought of Navajo, it was locked in, but I went through Shawnee and Utes first.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4535
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:15 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 pm
The term "Mantissa" brought up a repressed high school memory in Algebra II class. I expect only math teachers pulled this one out. Somehow, I did keep thinking "abscissa"
Huh, I did the same thing. I ended up going with "magnitude," so it seems like maybe I knew it was a word that started with an "m" and was similar to "abscissa" but couldn't get any closer than that!

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 am

My streak of terrible luck has reversed, but I'm still reeling from missing 3 points on hurling with "curling", which I know is an ice thing but somehow I convinced myself the name was the same. 5 MDs to go, not sure I'll be able to extricate myself from the relegation zone

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am

My first Dolly. I guess my Language score is higher than I realized, so I was assigned 0 for the cane/perro question. Unfortunately I didn't know it.
Won some of Ben Stein's money, some of Roger Lodge's, some of Chris Harrison's. None of Alex Trebek's.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:39 am

You could've told me that cane was italian for dog (which I didn't know, but in hindsight might've got there) and I still wouldn't gotten it, I took french! Perro is nowhere near chien.

Didn't matter as I got Paraguay, hurling, Juliet/Romeo, and gopher for a 5(4)-1(2) win. I'm in sixth with 5 days to go, but not sure I can make up the 3-4 points needed for promotion based on my horrible MPD.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am
My first Dolly. I guess my Language score is higher than I realized, so I was assigned 0 for the cane/perro question. Unfortunately I didn't know it.
I TOLD YOU IT WAS PERRO! :lol:

Post Reply