LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by Lefty »

Looking now at some images of Ritter Sport products, it seems moderately likely that I've seen it. I had an "aha" moment of sorts when I noticed it was Q word, blank, S word, and figured the middle word must start with "r", and so "racquets".

I"m glad I stuck with "pentagon" after missing with it last week.

"Tory" was my second choice. I realize that doesn't make me smart.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm
I generally treat LL (in my rookie season), as just an extended Final Jeopardy time limit for each question. I don't intend to ponder all day on my submission, so, 5 minutes or so tops to make my guess and assign defense. But I was afraid I'd have to do some trig (because I can and it woud be embarrassing to miss a real math question), but knew there was a simple algorithm.

We know (the included angles of )triangles add up to 180, so divisy by 3 = 60. Squares add up to 360, so divisy by 4 = 90. There's your rule - Just keep adding up the list by increasing the numerator by 180 each step and the denominator (number of sides) by one. Check it with hexagon at 120 included angles (720/6), and now you just need to know the names.

Just throwing this out there for the math-phobes and the next time that might come up.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 pm We know (the included angles of )triangles add up to 180, so divisy by 3 = 60. Squares add up to 360, so divisy by 4 = 90. There's your rule - Just keep adding up the list by increasing the numerator by 180 each step and the denominator (number of sides) by one. Check it with hexagon at 120 included angles (720/6), and now you just need to know the names.

Just throwing this out there for the math-phobes and the next time that might come up.
That seems to make it a lot hard than it needs to be. If you have a 108 angle, then 180-108=72. The center has to add to 360, as you said, so 360/72=5. So, 5 sides.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 pm We know (the included angles of )triangles add up to 180, so divisy by 3 = 60. Squares add up to 360, so divisy by 4 = 90. There's your rule - Just keep adding up the list by increasing the numerator by 180 each step and the denominator (number of sides) by one. Check it with hexagon at 120 included angles (720/6), and now you just need to know the names.

That seems to make it a lot hard than it needs to be. If you have a 108 angle, then 180-108=72. The center has to add to 360, as you said, so 360/72=5. So, 5 sides.
Haven't got my brain around the meaning (physical or otherwise?) of "the center" yet, but I'll incubate it a while - no need to explain yet. I'm sure the algebraic equivalence will be easy to show, but I was trying to keep it in the right brain because I personally don't memorize this stuff. In my job, I spend some time on packomania.com, which might be amusing for boardies to know about - and then forget...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm
I generally treat LL (in my rookie season), as just an extended Final Jeopardy time limit for each question. I don't intend to ponder all day on my submission, so, 5 minutes or so tops to make my guess and assign defense. But I was afraid I'd have to do some trig (because I can and it woud be embarrassing to miss a real math question), but knew there was a simple algorithm.

We know (the included angles of )triangles add up to 180, so divisy by 3 = 60. Squares add up to 360, so divisy by 4 = 90. There's your rule - Just keep adding up the list by increasing the numerator by 180 each step and the denominator (number of sides) by one. Check it with hexagon at 120 included angles (720/6), and now you just need to know the names.

I worked through it mentally (while watching an episode of Good Omens, of all things) as follows:

Each angle of a regular polygon has a portion that contributes to "closing the figure". That portion is 180 - (interior angle). You need all of those portions to add up to 360 degrees and thus get all the way around the figure back to the first side. If you had a bunch of straight line segments, their interior angles are 180 degrees and they contribute nothing towards closing the figure. In the case of a square, each angle contributes 90 degrees towards closing the figure. Thus I calculated that the number of sides would have to be 360 / (180 - 108).
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

TFW you put a defensive 3 on a question with a 15% get rate, by far the day's hardest... and it's the only one your opponent gets right. I know, wanh. Perhaps I should start caring more about MCWA than DE cuz that's what I'm best at this season: 17 and counting, my highest total ever.

All season long bomtr has played people the day after I do. Not sure if a 3(1) means HaydeK is softened up for you or extra-hungry.

Good luck to everyone on MD25!
In and out of the pool four times
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My thinking on the drugs question: "sartan sounds like statin. What do statin drugs treat. Ugh, I can't remember, but whatever it is it probably isn't right anyway. I'll say epilepsy." My only other miss was Breakfast at Tiffany's. I've never liked Seinfeld, but the question made me think of Nelson Muntz's quote about Naked Lunch in an episode of The Simpsons. I didn't think that it was right and thought that book was about 10 years later, but it turns out that it came out in 1959.

I am up to 77 TCA, so I will finish a season at .500 or better for the first time ever. I will also be in a C rundle next season for only the second time.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:46 am TFW you put a defensive 3 on a question with a 15% get rate, by far the day's hardest... and it's the only one your opponent gets right. I know, wanh. Perhaps I should start caring more about MCWA than DE cuz that's what I'm best at this season: 17 and counting, my highest total ever.

All season long bomtr has played people the day after I do. Not sure if a 3(1) means HaydeK is softened up for you or extra-hungry.

Good luck to everyone on MD25!
To you also. I’m matched up against BlishS so luck is what I’ll need
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I yearn for the days when LL81 was "easy" and my Qpct was over .600. Now, after my first 0(0) since my rookie season in LL74, I will end this season with my lowest TCA except my rookie season no matter what happens on MD25... I should've had James Dean yesterday but that's probably it, except if I hadn't used Breakfast at Tiffanys for the On the Waterfront question maybe I would've WAGed that. Ulster I've definitely heard of, but San Martin, Kirby, and the drugs I've not. At this point I was 5th going into MD24 with no chance at promotion and now I am 8th so it all doesn't matter but man, this season got hard for me in a hurry.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am
classicroadster wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 am
teapot37 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 am I have never heard of Ritter Sport before in my life. I am absolutely flabbergasted that 56% of the league and 80% of my rundle got that one.
I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out a sport where "squared" would make sense...I also can't believe the 56% get rate, but everyone I follow got it as did my opponent. Of course her best category was food and I played it as a sport question and defended it....poorly.
I am over .900 in Food and Drink but echo others in NHO Ritter Sport. What are we missing that so many others got it? Also stupidly missed Pop Arr for the loss.
Ritter Sport is probably #3 brand of chocolate by my lifetime purchases, after Lindt and Milka/Suchard.
Woof

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am
classicroadster wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 am
teapot37 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 am I have never heard of Ritter Sport before in my life. I am absolutely flabbergasted that 56% of the league and 80% of my rundle got that one.
I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out a sport where "squared" would make sense...I also can't believe the 56% get rate, but everyone I follow got it as did my opponent. Of course her best category was food and I played it as a sport question and defended it....poorly.
I am over .900 in Food and Drink but echo others in NHO Ritter Sport. What are we missing that so many others got it? Also stupidly missed Pop Arr for the loss.
Ritter Sport is probably #3 brand of chocolate by my lifetime purchases, after Lindt and Milka/Suchard.
Hmmm... Curioser and curioser. Granted, I am hardly a frequent purchaser of chocolates, but if I were to name popular sources of chocolate, it would be Lindt, Tobler, Cadbury, Hershey, Mars and Ghirardelli. If pressed, I might name Valrhona and Kinderschokolade, but still no Ritter Sport. Oh, well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I ended LL81 with three ties in a row and was fifth in A Fjord. Sort of relieved this one is over because the second half of the season seemed particularly brutal. I don't remember any other season where there were multiple days that I read through the questions and wasn't sure I knew a single answer with certainty.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yeah, this was a real Jekyll and Hyde season. I was just glad to survive that back half.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

SO close to relegation to B. Why'd I have to finally start winning matches near the end?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

After 9 seasons in B, I finally got called up to The Show! *dance, dance*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 am After 9 seasons in B, I finally got called up to The Show! *dance, dance*
Congrats! I too am getting promoted from B to A.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Congrats to BigDaddyMatty on winning my rundle, and to quarterrican on completing the long trip from E to A.
I had a personal high of 94 TCA and had the best defense in A Horizon for the second season in a row, but also tied a personal high in losses and set a new one in CAA.
I did not expect to win after getting 2 yesterday (I ruled out Black Panther because it had already been an answer this season, and wrote "luxury tax" instead of income tax). My opponent and I got the same 2, but he assigned me 3 for the geography question and 0 for the art, even though geography's my second-best category and art's my worst. If he'd won and BDM had lost, he would've made it to the championship instead....
Hoping for a third lap
Woof

Post by Woof »

Woof wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 am
I’m matched up against BlishS so luck is what I’ll need
And luck is what I got. I’m putting a 7(4)-4(4) win against BlishS on my mantle, a crazy end to my worst-ever season.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My worst finish was back in LL66, back in A Pac. Looking back at that season, lord what a murderer's row in that rundle. GoodeM, FrielP, BawdonG, LachD, MuellerP, LiptonM, RutterB, HerderS, VillaniA, JordanG, PenroseB, ChristyN, GaliherC, BasinK, HautA... jeez.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A WAG on Cassatt got me a tie on MD25. I was in the middle of the pack but the tie did keep my opponent from getting promoted to C. So I did get to play spoiler.