LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by fowlerism »

I managed to round out the season with a perfecto, thanks in part to the fact that I read Dragons Love Tacos to my son probably 5 nights a week.

This hasn't been my strongest season in terms of TCA, but an enormous amount of luck in terms of CAA helped me win my rundle by a big margin. I've recently been studying pop music, geography, and art, and my numbers have improved on all three so I feel good about that. Now it's time for one of my occasional stints in A rundle, where I expect to be ground into a fine paste as usual.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I thought of hectare but didn’t think to chop off the front half, oh well.

I though dragons might like pizza but no

Income tax was one of the few games questions I got right this season, but stats wise that’s American history

Will drop to C Taiga for the first time in 10 seasons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everything is Tim’s fault
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

As expected, I got creamed in my initial A (Horizon) appearance, finishing dead last. Not a good time for my lowest TCA in my 13 seasons! Even so, I'm thinking that with a few more should have had correct responses and/or correct coin flips I would have been fine. But I guess most of us feel that way at times.

Unfortunately, I'll have to skip a season before redeeming myself as I'll be away from reliable internet (which I'm looking forward to) for much of LL82.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 pm
Everything is Tim’s fault
I almost caught you in TCA too.

As for my season, 3 times I've been placed in E. And 3 times I've been promoted to D. Now let's see if I can stay there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 am As expected, I got creamed in my initial A (Horizon) appearance, finishing dead last. Not a good time for my lowest TCA in my 13 seasons! Even so, I'm thinking that with a few more should have had correct responses and/or correct coin flips I would have been fine. But I guess most of us feel that way at times.

Unfortunately, I'll have to skip a season before redeeming myself as I'll be away from reliable internet (which I'm looking forward to) for much of LL82.
Two years ago, I played my first season in A Horizon. Finished dead last. According to a computer analysis of the season, I was the ten-unluckiest player in all of LL. The next season, I earned promotion back to A. So there's that.

Best of luck in LL83!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Thanks for that, Blue! Hope springs eternal, the stein is half full, God's in his heaven and all's right with the world, and I'll be back!
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Just missed out on a promotion back up to C, after being in the promotion zone for most of the season. Then again, since I got pretty roughed up in C the season before this one, that may be quite alright. :P
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I thought marshmallows a natural food for dragons.

I stumbled with Morisot on the art question. I guessed it was about the irony of not being appreciated at home till she'd had some recognition abroad. Instead, it was the reverse of the "prophet is without honor" theme. Mainly I stopped thinking about halfway through the question in favor of trying to remember the Monopoly board 40+ years since I last played a game. I thought of income tax but went with luxury. I have some issues with the wording of the question, but I guess it's unbecoming to complain when all I needed was some basic familiarity with what is after all one of just 27 amendments to the Constitution.

As for the season, it seems I've stopped getting smarter. But maybe other organs can still improve.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:15 pm I thought marshmallows a natural food for dragons.

I stumbled with Morisot on the art question. I guessed it was about the irony of not being appreciated at home till she'd had some recognition abroad. Instead, it was the reverse of the "prophet is without honor" theme. Mainly I stopped thinking about halfway through the question in favor of trying to remember the Monopoly board 40+ years since I last played a game. I thought of income tax but went with luxury. I have some issues with the wording of the question, but I guess it's unbecoming to complain when all I needed was some basic familiarity with what is after all one of just 27 amendments to the Constitution.

As for the season, it seems I've stopped getting smarter. But maybe other organs can still improve.
I did the same thing with the Monopoly question. Classic case of over-thinking: I tried to visualize the Monopoly board. That said, I still would have lost with a correct answer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I didn't get a chance to submit African Geography, but it looks like the 100th place players got 11-12 right out of 12!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ooh, got my first 5%ile in JI Money. 10/12 but I moneyed almost perfectly (and my just awful spelling of Khachaturian was somehow accepted)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Volante wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:48 am Ooh, got my first 5%ile in JI Money. 10/12 but I moneyed almost perfectly (and my just awful spelling of Khachaturian was somehow accepted)
I recognized the music (with the other visual cue), but I just could not bring up the name of the composer. Congrats for that alone.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

There were more spellings of Khachaturian than there were for Leszek Pawlowicz on that "Kings Named Haakon 25th Anniversary Special" quiz I created on Alpaca Farm two years ago.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I know its random selection, but my ML season has been front-loaded with A opponents...which results in an 0-2-1 record in science (with 14 TCA out of 18) and a 7(5)-9(6) loss on day 1 of upsets. Combined, that is 20/24 for my opponents. Ouch.

BTW, ambush is french? Really? I didn't have a guess really, went with guerilla with no confidence. Knew the other 5 cold.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am BTW, ambush is french? Really? I didn't have a guess really, went with guerilla with no confidence. Knew the other 5 cold.
There was an FJ about that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am BTW, ambush is french? Really? I didn't have a guess really, went with guerilla with no confidence. Knew the other 5 cold.
And guerrilla is Spanish, not French. ;)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 pm
And guerrilla is Spanish, not French. ;)
I went with camouflage
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Anyone else get half a dozen identical e-mails for each match result this morning?
Science is turning out to be harder than I expected. Upsets is playing easier than I expected. (I am curious, though, how 61% of LLamas knew Leicester City. Do that many people follow soccer?)
Hoping for a third lap
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

sarisson wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:41 am Upsets is playing easier than I expected.
Yeah, same. I guess the percentages just seem high in general because it's a self-selecting group of stronger players that tends to play these minileagues, but there's still something ego-wounding about seeing 60% of people successfully coming up with the name "Cobie Smulders."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ilcap wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:53 pm Yeah, same. I guess the percentages just seem high in general because it's a self-selecting group of stronger players that tends to play these minileagues, but there's still something ego-wounding about seeing 60% of people successfully coming up with the name "Cobie Smulders."
I would have figured that one would be north of 75%, given her appearances in both HIMYM and The Avengers series.