LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:51 pm
RandyG wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 am On the Mythology one, I rejected sorority and tried to make Pleiades work with 9 instead of seven sisters.
Of course there are only 6 stars in the Pleiades noticeably brighter than the others.

And those 6 stars form the symbol for what auto manufacturer?
Spoiler
Subaru, which IIRC means Pleiades in Japanese
Spoiler
Correct and correct!
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

RandyG wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:26 pm
Woof wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:51 pm
RandyG wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 am On the Mythology one, I rejected sorority and tried to make Pleiades work with 9 instead of seven sisters.
Of course there are only 6 stars in the Pleiades noticeably brighter than the others.

And those 6 stars form the symbol for what auto manufacturer?
Spoiler
Subaru, which IIRC means Pleiades in Japanese
Spoiler
Correct and correct!
Thanks for the trivia nuggets. It seems that subaru means "united" in Japanese and using pleiades as an English translation qualifies you to work for Google translate :lol: . And TIL that the seven sisters are of mythological origin so I had a good reason to be on that dead end. At least I didn't try to invent a Pleiadatorium or something :roll: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 amI was in the group of simpletons who had Wounded Knee. Cavalry to battle was my thinking and 1889 was too late for Little Big Horn. :oops: Yes, the hint was there and yes the year should have helped. There is a reason I'm in C and I get to prove on a regular basis including my whopping 1 correct for the Friday set.

My .783 on DE shows I'm doing one thing mostly right.
Same exact thinking here. Submitted, saw the answer, went, "Huh?," re-read the clue and instantly saw "sooner," then grunted, "Aw, [rats]!"

At least Wounded Knee was in 1890 so it wasn't that far off
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Midseason results are out. I accomplished my goal: moneyed the right 5 of 7 that I knew I got right. (Moneying Polish would have resulted in a higher score, but I had about 2% confidence on that one to begin with.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm Midseason results are out. I accomplished my goal: moneyed the right 5 of 7 that I knew I got right. (Moneying Polish would have resulted in a higher score, but I had about 2% confidence on that one to begin with.)
Nice.

I $d the film festival question and missed with Rome

Went Dutch for Polish.

Said Sydney for Melbourne- still don't get the name connection to William Lamb

Considered Bhutan (0.8M) after eliminating Nepal, but went with Mongolia (3M) :(

Got lucky on MSG
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:15 pm
You didn't need to know Lamb to get this one; just the Port Phillip Bay connection, which appeared in the $2K Birthplaces clue on J! just last Tuesday.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... =melbourne
Considered Bhutan (0.8M) after eliminating Nepal, but went with Mongolia (3M) :(
I also said Mongolia, forgetting Bhutan which is so lightly populated that it doesn't have a single traffic light.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm Midseason results are out. I accomplished my goal: moneyed the right 5 of 7 that I knew I got right. (Moneying Polish would have resulted in a higher score, but I had about 2% confidence on that one to begin with.)
I was pretty sure it was Polish (I have a friend in Buffalo who mentioned Dyngus Day a few years ago when we were visiting), but took the South Bend/Irish neg bait. I also went with Sydney and Mongolia. Oh well...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:15 pm Said Sydney for Melbourne- still don't get the name connection to William Lamb
Guessing you've never seen the PBS series Victoria?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Said Wellington instead of Melbourne to miss one of my moneys. I saw Shanahan's name during the weekend somewhere, so I punted the question (I would have missed it for sure, so it isn't really a gray area).

I was sure the "Game Change" tv show clue would have been about James Carville and his wife (just looked it up - Mary Matalin)... but Carville's name wasn't coming to me. I was lucky, because I probably would have moneyed it.

This was on the harder end of the spectrum for the mid-season classic. I got 7 right, moneyed one incorrectly, and still got 80th percentile.

My league Magnolia came disappointingly 52nd, but with 9600 points it isn't too far off the 11500 of first place. Remarkable parity in the leagues.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 pm
You didn't need to know Lamb to get this one; just the Port Phillip Bay connection, which appeared in the $2K Birthplaces clue on J! just last Tuesday.

The Yarra River is what got it for me. I was pretty confident the Yarra Valley is a wine-growing region near Melbourne.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I also said Mongolia, forgetting Bhutan which is so lightly populated that it doesn't have a single traffic light.
I started with Mongolia, but thought about alternatives because (a) Mongolia is so freaking BIG and (b) Ulanbataar is a quite populous city. That led me to other inhospitable sites and, finally, to Bhutan. I did, however, put Rome for Venice and Manila for MSG for a disappointingly low score. Bah.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 pm

I started with Mongolia, but thought about alternatives because (a) Mongolia is so freaking BIG and (b) Ulanbataar is a quite populous city. That led me to other inhospitable sites and, finally, to Bhutan. I did, however, put Rome for Venice and Manila for MSG for a disappointingly low score. Bah.
I'm anxious to see the league get rate on nebula. Well written clue got me there without ever being aware of the facts beforehand. Thanks to bad judgment I overruled my answers of MSG and Bhutan for Manila and Tibet (I'm that dumb).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:26 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm anxious to see the league get rate on nebula. Well written clue got me there without ever being aware of the facts beforehand. Thanks to bad judgment I overruled my answers of MSG and Bhutan for Manila and Tibet (I'm that dumb).
A shockingly low 20%. All you have to do is look at your personal results page.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I won with 2 correct (12 Angry Men, Cleveland) yesterday, but I had 3 really bad misses. I was tying to think of an organ that starts with "t," but I had nothing. I honestly never knew that glands were considered organs. Then "canton" was Pavlov for Switzerland, which seemed too obvious, but I really thought that it was the only country that had "cantons." And since there had been so many questions the past two seasons that have seemed even easier I thought that it was still a decent bet. Looking back "Grand Duchy" should have been Pavlov for Luxembourg. And then I never even thought of vanilla, but it was a forehead slapper given that I have seen ice cream or yogurt flavors that are called "Madagascar vanilla."
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

First ever Buckner win yesterday 3(1)-2(3)...so many Koin flips... Luxembourg/Switzerland (although I thought only Switz had Cantons as noted above). Buffalo/Cleveland...turns out Buffalo is only 350 miles from NY, but I have been there several times and knew it was a major shipping center around 1880s. Missed 12 Angry Men, despite the dozen in the clue as I have never seen it although it is on my DVR. Thanks to my wife and kids who bake a ton and Madagascar Vanilla Beans came straight to mind. Thymus? Really? You could've told me it started with thymu and I maybe would've gotten there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Why, WHY would you give someone with a nearly .400 food score (their second worst category) a zero for vanilla?!
...I needed those points... *pout*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Shanahan withdraws as Defense Secretary nominee. The guy wants to spend more time with his family ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 am First ever Buckner win yesterday 3(1)-2(3)...so many Koin flips... Luxembourg/Switzerland (although I thought only Switz had Cantons as noted above). Buffalo/Cleveland...turns out Buffalo is only 350 miles from NY, but I have been there several times and knew it was a major shipping center around 1880s. Missed 12 Angry Men, despite the dozen in the clue as I have never seen it although it is on my DVR. Thanks to my wife and kids who bake a ton and Madagascar Vanilla Beans came straight to mind. Thymus? Really? You could've told me it started with thymu and I maybe would've gotten there.
At first I was leaning towards Rochester on the Cleveland question, but it just didn't seem right to ask for a city in the state of New York when New York (even if it was the city) was mentioned in the clue. But I considered Buffalo as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm
classicroadster wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 am First ever Buckner win yesterday 3(1)-2(3)...so many Koin flips... Luxembourg/Switzerland (although I thought only Switz had Cantons as noted above). Buffalo/Cleveland...turns out Buffalo is only 350 miles from NY, but I have been there several times and knew it was a major shipping center around 1880s. Missed 12 Angry Men, despite the dozen in the clue as I have never seen it although it is on my DVR. Thanks to my wife and kids who bake a ton and Madagascar Vanilla Beans came straight to mind. Thymus? Really? You could've told me it started with thymu and I maybe would've gotten there.
At first I was leaning towards Rochester on the Cleveland question, but it just didn't seem right to ask for a city in the state of New York when New York (even if it was the city) was mentioned in the clue. But I considered Buffalo as well.
I knew it was originally called Standard Oil of Ohio, so that helped me narrow the cities. I didn't get a Buckner win yesterday, but I did get a Buckner tie (6(3)-6(5)).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Thymus was a terrible miss for me. Just terrible. I started with T-cell, then realized he wanted the organ and switched to thalmus (sic) without even giving it a second thought. It's a bummer when you're so focused on the ones you don't know that you screw up the ones you should know.

Started with saffron but the parenthetical hint steered me away. Went with pepper without ever considering vanilla