LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by alietr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:16 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:56 am
I WAGged "prison" based on the word "gritty." Without that, I would have lost 0(1)-1(1) (we both got ratatouille but I defended it incorrectly).
I talked myself out of 'prison' because I figured 'gritty' made it too obvious, and went with 'hospital' which can be gritty, too. Didn't cost me, fortunately.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 am

alietr wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:16 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:56 am
I WAGged "prison" based on the word "gritty." Without that, I would have lost 0(1)-1(1) (we both got ratatouille but I defended it incorrectly).
I talked myself out of 'prison' because I figured 'gritty' made it too obvious, and went with 'hospital' which can be gritty, too. Didn't cost me, fortunately.
Prison for me in a funny way as Wentworth matched star Wentworth Miller from Prison Break. Whatever works, including stealing a 2(2)-0(1) victory.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am

Yesterday was one I knew, one I was reasonably sure on (having only briefly seen the Tony lists this year), and four guesses, two of which landed.

The Reichstag wrapping was due to a Christo art project, for the record. (Not that I knew that.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

morbeedo
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by morbeedo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am
Yesterday was one I knew, one I was reasonably sure on (having only briefly seen the Tony lists this year), and four guesses, two of which landed.

The Reichstag wrapping was due to a Christo art project, for the record. (Not that I knew that.)
I'm glad he didn't use the word "wrap" in the clue.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:57 pm

eric.backes wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:20 am

:mrgreen: I wonder if Ypsilanti has a Midwest bias in the responses. For my part, I just went through all the E Michigan cities I could think of until a likely name appeared. Detroit, Dearborn, Flint all no. I even considered Lansing and Ann Arbor though I doubted they’d be called Eastern
Ypsilanti borders AA. The clue was the italics on Eastern Michigan as EMU is there.
I lived in Ypsi for seven years. One of the city's claims to fame is a phallus-shaped water tower near the EMU campus. Fun fact: the tower is made from the same stones as the Joliet prison in Illinois.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:57 pm
eric.backes wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:20 am

:mrgreen: I wonder if Ypsilanti has a Midwest bias in the responses. For my part, I just went through all the E Michigan cities I could think of until a likely name appeared. Detroit, Dearborn, Flint all no. I even considered Lansing and Ann Arbor though I doubted they’d be called Eastern
Ypsilanti borders AA. The clue was the italics on Eastern Michigan as EMU is there.
I lived in Ypsi for seven years. One of the city's claims to fame is a phallus-shaped water tower near the EMU campus. Fun fact: the tower is made from the same stones as the Joliet prison in Illinois.
I'll bet the goings-on at the Joliet prison are really gritty.

morbeedo
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by morbeedo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:57 am

I needed another win to get out of relegation, but lost 4(4)-6(5). No way I was getting Torres Strait or Dark Side of the Moon - went with Tasman Sea and The Wall. 70s rock just isn't my thing
Last edited by morbeedo on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilcap
Contributor

Post by ilcap » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:59 am

Was pretty pleased when I managed to dredge up "Livonia" for the Michigan question the other day, which struck me as sounding plausibly Greek-inspired, or somehow Russian-inspired, since the question went out of the way to mention the guy served in the Russian military.

Was surprised on the Torres Strait one yesterday. The word "waterway" sounds like a strait or river to me, and I can come up with a couple of Australian straits, but it seemed so unlikely to me that there'd be a distinct group of Torres Strait or Bass Strait people that I went with the Tasman Sea, despite a sea being a weird fit for "waterway."

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Strange result for me yesterday, as I won 9(5)-5(2). I wasn't expecting to have another day with more than 4 correct for the remainder of this season, but I'll take it.

The Australia question was a no-brainer for the 3-pointer, but my opponent, a career .264 Geography player, knew it. All I could come up with was the Bass Strait. And I even wrote a toss up on the Gulf of Carpenteria for the TCONA quiz bowl tournament in 2017 that mentioned the Torres Strait, but I was still never going to pull it.

Both questions played easy, but it sure is helpful when the film and pop music questions are on a movie that I have actually seen and an album that I have listened to extensively.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 pm

I was thinking of the right area for the Australian group, but didn't remember the name; I just called it "Strait of New Guinea." It was the only one I missed. I gave it a 2 because I thought it was pretty hard, but my opponent (ZollingerJ) had geography as his third-best subject. It was also the only one he missed, and he gave it a 3.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:37 pm

I very confidently wrote Bass Strait for Q1. My opponent and I both missed that question, but I won 6(4) - 4(4) because I assigned it 3 points and my opponent assigned it 1. (Admittedly, geography is my 3rd-best subject.) He also inexplicably made Heather the 3-pointer.

With 3 match days to go, somehow I'm 1st in B Continental. The top 5 LLamas in my rundle get promoted. If I end up in an A rundle for LL82, I expect the results to be similar to my only other season at A level (LL60), when I went 5-16-4.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:37 pm
If I end up in an A rundle for LL82, I expect the results to be similar to my only other season at A level (LL60), when I went 5-16-4.
I know how that goes (5-18-2 for my only appearance). :)

sarisson

Post by sarisson » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:27 pm

At the end of last week (in A), I was 3-13-1 and facing relegation.
This week, I went 4-0-1, and will almost certainly remain in A.
You never know.
In for a second lap

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 pm

I was closer than I thought with my answer of Coral Sea.

My ridiculous luck continues. My MPD ranks 14th, my DE 24th, and my TCA 21st. Yet I'm in 4th. I'm living on borrowed time.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:14 pm

alietr wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 pm
That was my answer. My only other idea was Tasman Sea, which I probably would have said had I realized how big it was, but I was thinking of what is actually the Bass Strait (admittedly small for a sea). It was rather a relief so see that both were wrong, so that there was no chance I could have lost by an unlucky coin toss.

I wasn't so lucky on the T-cells organ question, where I had thymus for 23 hours plus, but history will record only that I went with thyroid in the end. As annoying was that my opponent threed me on it. I mean, I totally should have had it. Where does he get off assigning it three points?

I thought quickly of escutcheon but I couldn't reach escutage from there. I did consider "scot" but it seemed a stretch and seems now, having checked, to be no relation. I went with "aegis", unaltered, because it seemed more capable of double duty than escutcheon.

Considering the amount of time I spend in the theatre district (if not the theatres themselves), I ought to do better with that sort of question. "Just My Imagination" was my try.

The last time a clue word appeared oddly in italics I guessed "italics", but I felt good enough about Ypsilanti to ignore this set. So I did dodge a few bullets this week.
I'm smart and I want respect.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:45 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:37 pm
With 3 match days to go, somehow I'm 1st in B Continental. The top 5 LLamas in my rundle get promoted. If I end up in an A rundle for LL82, I expect the results to be similar to my only other season at A level (LL60), when I went 5-16-4.
Looks like 14 people in your rundle have at least a mathematical--excluding forfeits--shot of winning. In A Cont it's only eight, including slam and bomtr plus some ronin who calls himself BlishS (rhymes with vicious) and leads the rundle in TCA by eight points over bomtr but is now in 5th place. He plays Woof on MD25.

Per always in A I have no shot at winning but have cleared relegation thanks to a recent hot streak of five wins in six matches that began (after getting o-Blisherated on MD16) with a win over then and current #1 KlaussM. Thx, Pantera! Cool-looking car--never heard a single one of their songs.

If I'd managed to extract vanilla on MD18, I'd have had my first-ever mirror match: identical result, identical defense.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 am

reddpen wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:45 am
[ He plays Woof on MD25.

If I'd managed to extract vanilla on MD18, I'd have had my first-ever mirror match: identical result, identical defense.
Congrats on your continued survival, LLama grandad. After a brutal season, facing BlishS will be the icing on the cake. BTW, I saw what you did there.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:24 am

morbeedo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:57 am
I needed another win to get out of relegation, but lost 4(4)-6(5). No way I was getting Torres Strait or Dark Side of the Moon - went with Tasman Sea and The Wall. 70s rock just isn't my thing
I also went with The Wall. Which reminds me of a story...

During my first year at Michigan, the Ann Arbor Bank hired a guy to dress up as an ATM (this was newfangled technology in 1973) and walk around campus while Pink Floyd's "Money" played over and over. It was the beginning of the fall semester, which meant it was still summer with temps in the 90s with humidity to match. I wonder if the guy inside that ATM suit ever recovered from the experience.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 am

Lefty wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:14 pm
alietr wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 pm
The last time a clue word appeared oddly in italics I guessed "italics", but I felt good enough about Ypsilanti to ignore this set. So I did dodge a few bullets this week.
The reference to Eastern Michigan made me chuckle. Eastern Michigan University has fielded some historically awful football teams. During the early 1980s, they lost 27 consecutive games. One of my great moments as a sports spectator came at an EMU football game in the 1970s. They hosted Northern Illinois on a perfect-for-football Saturday evening. Final score: 0-0.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 am

The reference to Eastern Michigan made me chuckle. Eastern Michigan University has fielded some historically awful football teams. During the early 1980s, they lost 27 consecutive games. One of my great moments as a sports spectator came at an EMU football game in the 1970s. They hosted Northern Illinois on a perfect-for-football Saturday evening. Final score: 0-0.
27 games? Pfftt. That’s nothing! I was in grad school at Columbia in the ‘80s when they posted an awe-inspiring 0-45 streak. In the midst, the then-coach Jim Garrett (father of star quarterback Jason Garrett) referred to his team as a “bunch of drug-addicted losers.” Needless to say, that didn’t go down too well with the administration and the Garretts were seen no more in Morningside Heights.