FJs for the 5/13/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/13/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:48 pm

John & Priscilla Alden lie in the USA's oldest maintained cemetery, which like a poem about the couple, is named for this person
43%
In 2006 Arizona State University renamed its college of law in honor of this history-making woman & longtime Arizona resident
82%
A 1913 piece by him was conceived of as the symphonic equivalent of a pagan ritual, to be titled "Great Sacrifice"
59%
He once said, "In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage...who we are and where we have come from"
70%
Publishing its first photo in 1889, today it has more than 4 billion likes & 100 million followers on Instagram
64%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
BIOGRAPHY SUBJECTS $800: "The Professor and the Madman" is about the insane murderer who helped create this reference work
35%
WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE $2000: Much of Venezuela's oil has come from the basin of this lake, the country's largest
55%
NON-POLITICAL PRESIDENTS $2000: In 1892 he founded the Sierra Club & served as its first president
69%
Tchaikovsky was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
19%
Rachmaninoff was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
5%
Shostakovich, Mussorgsky or Prokofiev was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
7%
Kodak was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
4%
I was 10/10 on the FJ! clues in the Teachers Tournament.
4%
I was 5/10 or worse on the FJ! clues in the Teachers Tournament.
21%

Total votes: 94

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 5/13/19 week

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joseph Campbell on Thursday. My struggle with underthinking continues. Saw Roots, didn't read it. Haven't read Campbell but people talk about him to me. I did the Ancestry.com DNA test recently, and the NatGeo one a while ago. The former is good for one's recent lineage, the latter for one's distant patrilineal or matrilineal ancestors. Now it's just a matter of filling the blanks between 15,000 BC and AD 1800.

I still have no idea of my % of Neanderthal or my predisposition to various diseases. I may next spring for the descending-from-Robbie-Burns-or-not test. For a while during my two weeks trial membership at Ancestry it seemed I might be related to his housekeeper, but it turned out to be a false trail.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

345353435433554555445132*3*43542534234
*out of 4
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Thought I would have a perfect 5/5 week in week 2 of the tournament, until I missed National Geographic and still don't know how in the world that was rated as high as 64% get on this poll (i.e. who would know this, and why could it have not been some other magazine or some newspaper).

Was also 4-for-5 in week 1, missing only security blanket.

I seem to be stuck on 4-for-5, now about six weeks in a row.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:51 pm Thought I would have a perfect 5/5 week in week 2 of the tournament, until I missed National Geographic and still don't know how in the world that was rated as high as 64% get on this poll (i.e. who would know this, and why could it have not been some other magazine or some newspaper).
Did you think of Nat. Geo. and reject it for a different response? If so, what? If not, would you have gone with Nat. Geo. if you HAD thought of it?

I agree this was a week clue and it wouldn't surprise me if not a single person in that 65% (as of this writing) actually KNEW their response was correct. But if you think of National Geographic, it just feels right. The publication is plausibly that old, even if you don't know its dates for sure. It's got a Jeopardy! connection via Alex Trebek and the Geography Bee. It's appeared as the sponsor/subject of entire categories on multiple occasions. I'd say it's the most Jeopardy!-ish publication there is without any close competitors. So I suspect most of that 65% got it the way I did: we thought of Nat. Geo. because it's a natural publication to think of during J! and our brains said, "That's it. That's GOTTA be it."
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon May 20, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Got Sandy D on Tuesday. Thursday was an instaget to "the guy that wrote Roots". I came up with Alex Haley just before time ran.

My wrong guess for Friday was Life. Wasn't sure it was old enough (and it's not), but it was the best guess I had.
--Peter
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:57 am Got Sandy D on Tuesday. Thursday was an instaget to "the guy that wrote Roots". I came up with Alex Haley just before time ran.

My wrong guess for Friday was Life. Wasn't sure it was old enough (and it's not), but it was the best guess I had.
Well Life magazine as a title goes back to 1883 - it just wasn't the photography magazine that Henry Luce turned it into. Another problem is that it hasn't existed as a regular publication since 2000, so a hundred million followers seems unlikely. Apparently they last put out a special issue in 2017, honoring Paul McCartney. (I could see that being worked into a clue somehow.) Not such a bad guess. It went through my mind before coming upon the right response.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:57 am Got Sandy D on Tuesday. Thursday was an instaget to "the guy that wrote Roots". I came up with Alex Haley just before time ran.

Well Life magazine as a title goes back to 1883 - it just wasn't the photography magazine that Henry Luce turned it into. Another problem is that it hasn't existed as a regular publication since 2000, so a hundred million followers seems unlikely. Apparently they last put out a special issue in 2017, honoring Paul McCartney. (I could see that being worked into a clue somehow.) Not such a bad guess. It went through my mind before coming upon the right response.
I also tried to find a way to reconcile Life as the only photojournalistic rag I could think of (well, Playboy came later :lol: ). The start date was OK, but I couldn't see anything surviving the digital age. Once Nat Geo came to mind with those 3 foot long telephoto lenses, I was happy to switch, but with low confidence until the reveal.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm

I also tried to find a way to reconcile Life as the only photojournalistic rag I could think of (well, Playboy came later :lol: ). The start date was OK, but I couldn't see anything surviving the digital age. Once Nat Geo came to mind with those 3 foot long telephoto lenses, I was happy to switch, but with low confidence until the reveal.
you changed avatars?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm

you changed avatars?
Yup. Learned League has flag avatars and my fugly mug makes a fluglier flag.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.