Tuesday, May 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7997, 2019-05-21

James Holzhauer game 24.

CONTESTANTS
Jason Mangano, a freelance writer from Fords, New Jersey
Kate Kelly, a nonprofit finance professional from New York, New York
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 23-day cash winnings total $1,780,237)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, as we discovered on yesterday's program, the two-week layoff that James enjoyed while all of us were enjoying the Teachers Tournament didn't affect him whatsoever. He earned an additional $80,000-plus yesterday. So Kate and Jason, I hope you're at your best today. You'll need to be. Good luck to you. Here we go. All right. Let's review the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV CARTOON SERIES BY CHARACTERS (5/5)
POTENT POTABLES (5/5)
ACRONYMS & INITIALISMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PEOPLE (5/5)
TAKING UP MOST OF THE EASTERN BORDER (5/5) (Alex: We'll name a country for you. You identify the country on the eastern border.)
ADAMS NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK (5/5) (Sarah: From their home at Adams National Historical Park, clues about our founding father and son.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kate: 7 R, 0 W
Jason: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. James had $4,800, Kate had $1,000, and Jason was at $1,800. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

ACRONYMS & INITIALISMS $800: In 2018 this dividing strip of land was the site of a historic meeting between Kim Jong Un & South Korea's president
(Alex: Demilitarized zone line.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $11,800
Jason: $2,600
Kate: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I sense a case of mistaken identity relating to Jason Mangano, because you were once surrounded by movie fans and paparazzi. Why?

Jason: I was. I was in a souvenir shop in Las Vegas, this big one right on the strip, and looking at shot glasses and T-shirts. And out of nowhere, probably 12, 15 people descend upon me. They're taking pictures of me. I'm wondering it is--who exactly it is that I look like. And it turns out that Brad Pitt was standing right next to me.

[Laughter]

Jason: I didn't know.

Alex: Those wonderful little surprising moments.

Alex: Speaking of those moments--Kate Kelly, your husband was proposing to you, and a surprising moment occurred. What happened?

Kate: Well, so, we were in Havana, and my husband proposed to me but stopped because he was nervous. And there was a stray dog on the street. And he pet it, in the middle, stopped to pet the dog.

[Laughter]

Alex: Kind of takes the romance out of it just a hair, right?

Kate: Well, a little bit. But it wasn't our dog, which was a little bit weird, but yeah.

Alex: "It wasn't our dog." But you accepted anyway.

Kate: I did, yes.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Champ.

James: Hi.

Alex: We had your wife in the audience on a couple of occasions recently. You have not told us how the two of you met.

James: So we were in a program together in Thailand, where we volunteered as English teachers to the locals. She was teaching in a kindergarten where the students pantsed her. I, meanwhile, got to teach adults who were very nicely behaved, and one day decided they wanted to teach some kids at the church where I was teaching. And you know, ever since.

Alex: What were the circumstances when you proposed? You didn't stop in the middle to pet a dog?

James: Oh, no. I knew she was going to--I knew she knew I was going to propose, so I faked her out with some fake proposals ahead of time and caught her totally off guard when the real thing happened.

Alex: Good for you.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $15,000
Jason: $3,600
Kate: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW IN SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
1990s SONGS (5/5)
PLAY TITLES IN THEIR ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (4/5)
PHOTOGRAPHY (4/5)
KEY "KEY" (5/5)
DO YOU LOVE ME? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Jason: 8 R, 0 W
Kate: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. James had $25,400, Kate had $3,400, and Jason was at $11,600. James wagered $11,381.

NEW IN SCIENCE $800: NASA's Juno spacecraft recently solved the mystery of lightning seen on this planet

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. James had $36,781, Kate had $3,400, and Jason was at $11,600. James wagered $11,914.

DO YOU LOVE ME? $2000: Seen here, she wrote one of the most famous love poems ever around 1847

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAY TITLES IN THEIR ORIGINAL LANGUAGE $1600: Ionesco at the opera:
"La Cantatrice Chauve"

PHOTOGRAPHY $2000: This company near the end of the alphabet has won 3 Academy Awards in science & engineering for its camera lenses

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $55,895 (lock game)
Jason: $12,400
Kate: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETRY & THE MOVIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $31,094 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jason: Wager $801 to cover Kate.
Kate: You have the hope of surpassing Jason for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $5,000 and $6,598.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Robert Lowell's "For the Union Dead" honored the 54th Massachusetts, the infantry unit in this 1989 film that won 3 Oscars

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $6,600 + $6,500 = $13,100 (What is Glory) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jason: $12,400 + $2,000 = $14,400 (What is Glory?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $55,895 + $31,010 = $86,905 (What is Glory?) (24-day champion: $1,867,142)
(Alex: It was a great film, one of my favorites. And it earned a Best Supporting Oscar for the man being honored this year by the American Film Institute for lifetime achievement.)
(Alex: [To Kate] Denzel Washington was the Best Supporting Actor.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $31,400, 34 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Jason: $12,400, 14 R, 0 W
Kate: $6,600, 10 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $50,400

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 35/61 = .574
Jason: 15/58 = .259
Kate: 11/58 = .190
Team: 61/63 = .968

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ADAMS NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Adams National Historical Park.) Sitting here on July 4th, 1826, 90-year-old John Adams suffered a fatal stroke--his whispered last words were this man "survives", as he didn't know that his longtime friend & sometime rival had died earlier that same day

ADAMS NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from Adams National Historical Park.) With this seal, John Adams literally sealed the deal to end the Revolutionary War, leaving his wax impression on the 1783 Treaty of this city

ADAMS NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Adams National Historical Park.) At his desk in 1779, John Adams drafted the Massachusetts constitution--it pioneered the use of three branches of government & this type of legislature, from the Latin for "twin chambers"

ADAMS NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Adams National Historical Park.) Here in 1776, this future First Lady wrote to her husband in the Continental Congress to "remember the ladies who will not hold ourselves bound by any law in which we have no voice"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

ADAMS NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Adams National Historical Park.) The birthplace & former home of 2 U.S. presidents, Adams National Historical Park is in this Massachusetts town that shares a name with the younger of the two men

PEOPLE $200: Some of this promoter's boxing extravaganzas included the Thrilla in Manila & the Rumble in the Jungle

NEW IN SCIENCE $2000: Subject of "The Imitation Game", this British mathematician wrote one chemistry paper & it's being used in a new desalination method

PHOTOGRAPHY $1200: In this type of photography, you can watch the sun set in just seconds

PHOTOGRAPHY $400: Six-letter term for a type of photography that captured the view seen here; the camera can be mounted on a plane or a drone

CORRECT RESPONSES
the DMZ
Jupiter
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
The Bald Soprano
Zeiss
Glory
Jefferson
Paris
bicameral
Abigail Adams
Quincy
Don King
(Alan) Turing
time lapse
aerial
Last edited by Archivists on Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETRY & THE MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Robert Lowell’s “For the Union Dead” honored the 54th Massachusetts, the infantry unit in this 1989 film that won 3 Oscars

James Holzhauer: 55895+31010=86,905 (24x = $1,867,142)
Kate Kelly: 6600+6500=13100
Jason Mangano: 12400+2000=14400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Glory

Daily Doubles
James: 4800+4800
James: 25400+11381
James: 36781+11914

Coryats
James: 31400
Kate: 6600
Jason: 12400

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 15000
Kate: 3400
Jason: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players did not hit a speedbump until clue 39 for the Ionesco play stumper.

Jason was in the game a lot more than the scoreboard might indicate. Jason’s clueless stubbornness for going back to 1990s SONGS was not the best place to uncover a DD. Jason still had a chance if James had missed DD2 in which James did not seem fully confident about the planet

DD3 was still hiding when Jason went to $800 of the correct category where James found it in the bottom box. Players need to follows James’s lead for where he is searching for Daily Doubles. His path is a hint for better categories to try.

The FJ! category had me expecting Dead Poets Society and when I instantly spotted 1989 in the wording I wrote, “D” before taking in the rest of the clue. After slamming on the brakes of my pen I knew the correct change to make to get one right.

As good as James outplayed his opponents a route to defeat could be as simple as a miss on DD2 and an opponent in five figures finding and converting DD3 to have the lead for the FJ! round. It was all reasonably possible today.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Does this make James 23 for 24 on Final Jeopardy!? To me that may be more impressive than his average winnings per game. --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am Does this make James 23 for 24 on Final Jeopardy!? To me that may be more impressive than his average winnings per game. --Bob
Yes.

The Jeopardy! Fan always has a tally in the daily post:

James Holzhauer, stats to date:
876 correct, 27 incorrect
24/26 on rebound attempts (on 52 rebound opportunities)
58.68% in first on buzzer (794/1353)
55/59 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: $511,940)
23/24 in Final Jeopardy
Average Coryat: $30,858
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No wonder I did not have a clue about the pairing of the KEY "KEY" and DO YOU LOVE ME? categories: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Feelings

Yeah, not gonna happen.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Kate seemed to bear a passing resemblance to Hope Solo.
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am As good as James outplayed his opponents a route to defeat could be as simple as a miss on DD2 and an opponent in five figures finding and converting DD3 to have the lead for the FJ! round. It was all reasonably possible today.
Since all of these shows were taped in February (or whenever) how aware are the current opponents of how James plays and bets? Do they know prior to getting on the stage his strategy and how much he bets? Would Jason have known to go big on DD3 if he found it? would he have the courage to do so? That's the question here. If they are all coming in with no knowledge of what we're witnessing on TV for the past few weeks, they have no shot, because he is playing in a method no one has seen before.

The future contestants that have now seen this style of play will try to emulate it, which I think then changes how the game is played going forward, tough to say if that is good or bad long term, but James has now set the bar for single show winnings that you would think others will try to top, so we're going to see this style again next season, count on it.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

mgiusto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am As good as James outplayed his opponents a route to defeat could be as simple as a miss on DD2 and an opponent in five figures finding and converting DD3 to have the lead for the FJ! round. It was all reasonably possible today.
Since all of these shows were taped in February (or whenever) how aware are the current opponents of how James plays and bets? Do they know prior to getting on the stage his strategy and how much he bets? Would Jason have known to go big on DD3 if he found it? would he have the courage to do so? That's the question here. If they are all coming in with no knowledge of what we're witnessing on TV for the past few weeks, they have no shot, because he is playing in a method no one has seen before.

The future contestants that have now seen this style of play will try to emulate it, which I think then changes how the game is played going forward, tough to say if that is good or bad long term, but James has now set the bar for single show winnings that you would think others will try to top, so we're going to see this style again next season, count on it.
It's not clear to me how well the style works if you can't go 55 for 59 on Daily Doubles. --Bob
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

You are correct Bob, you still have to answer the questions, so it's not just a matter of the stomach for betting big, which is why I questioned Mark on Jason's real chance to catch James, because even if he were to find the Daily Double, he still has to bet large AND answer the question correctly, that's a big IF.

I am in no way diminishing James' knowledge and buzzer control, but going forward in next season anyone with a similar level of knowledge will try to go for the daily winnings high to top it and play in this style with huge DD and FJ bets. I'm sure we'll even see some huge bets and losses, which we have yet to see with James. Imagine if he got last night's FJ wrong and lost $40k? He still would have won the show, but man that would have been a huge chunk to lose.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

mgiusto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:35 pm going forward in next season anyone with a similar level of knowledge will try to go for the daily winnings high to top it and play in this style with huge DD and FJ bets. I'm sure we'll even see some huge bets and losses
This. From now on, we will start seeing occasional one-day champions who pile up $100,000+ for a big win, then flame out with a big loss the next day.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

James's first show was April 4, and the tapings for this season (which ends in July) were over before April 17. So there might be people in the last few weeks of the season who saw at most a week of James before playing him in April, but not anyone we'll be seeing for a while. Otherwise, people had to adjust to what they saw the day of their taping, which probably was a bit of a shock. Certainly anyone who gets a call in June to tape in July will have to seriously consider their strategy.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

At least somebody knew Bob's Burgers this time around:

For FJ Mrs Penguin and I pre-called Peggy Sue Got Married, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Wit, and Dead Poets Society. It wasn't any of those but we got it right anyway.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Another pre-call for Dead Poets Society here.

I don't know what other guesses are even plausible for Final. Maybe if somebody had a major brain fart and tried Born on the Fourth of July?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am DD3 was still hiding when Jason went to $800 of the correct category where James found it in the bottom box. Players need to follows James’s lead for where he is searching for Daily Doubles. His path is a hint for better categories to try.
Ok, but before finding DD3 in the bottom box of a category where Jason went to $800, James found DD2 in the $800 box of a different category. Admittedly, he'd already tried all three lower boxes in that column. But why did he go back to the $800 box in that category when there were two other categories completely untouched? Did he simply not like the PHOTOGRAPHY and KEY "KEY" categories? Or did he judge NEW IN SCIENCE more likely to contain a DD? I can see that, but does that mean he also judged DO YOU LOVE ME? to be more likely to contain a DD than those two categories? Because that's where he went next.

As a visual aid, here's the board right before he chose DD2: $800 in NEW IN SCIENCE followed by DD3: $2000 in DO YOU LOVE ME?

If there's a lesson to be learned from his two choices and the order in which he made them, I'm not confident I've learned it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm Another pre-call for Dead Poets Society here.

I don't know what other guesses are even plausible for Final. Maybe if somebody had a major brain fart and tried Born on the Fourth of July?
Maybe we need a knew initialism: YETOIOYD. You Either Think Of It Or You Don't. You didn't really have to KNOW the correct response for this FJ. (I sure didn't.) You just had to think of it. If you thought of it, you recognized that it pretty much had to be right. Seems like we've had several of those lately.

As for plausible precalls, Dead Poets Society definitely seems like the top of the list. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is also pretty good, I think. After that, maybe Before Sunrise? There's a scene in that movie where a street vendor (poetry busker?) offers to write a poem on the spot for Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. Blade Runner quotes from some William Blake poems. It would be easy to construct clues for either of those films where you didn't really need to know the poetry angle to get the correct response.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm Another pre-call for Dead Poets Society here.

i did as well and also threw in poetic justice
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I thought Kate seemed really subdued by the end of the game, even when she rang in with correct answers. I think that's what made me notice her body language during the final credits. In fact, BOTH challengers were standing with folded arms.
Note to self: If you get the chance, don't do that.
Teems with quiet fun.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm
I had no clue, although it clearly had something to do with the Civil War. I went with "The Blue and the Grey". That was a movie, right?
Teems with quiet fun.