Tuesday, May 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Again, anyone got today's episode? YT hasn't had any episodes in weeks.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 pm Again, anyone got today's episode? YT hasn't had any episodes in weeks.
i sent you a private message the other day on what to do when that happens...revisit it
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 pm Again, anyone got today's episode? YT hasn't had any episodes in weeks.
i sent you a private message the other day on what to do when that happens...revisit it
I said "watch", not "play off J! Archive".
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm
I said "watch", not "play off J! Archive".
my message had nothing to do with j archive...btw...sent you another one just now with even more simplistic instructions
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

immaf wrote:
Ironhorse wrote: I don't know what other guesses are even plausible for Final. Maybe if somebody had a major brain fart and tried Born on the Fourth of July?
I had no clue, although it clearly had something to do with the Civil War. I went with "The Blue and the Grey". That was a movie, right?
"The Blue and the Grey" was all I had, though I was vaguely thinking it was as TV mini series.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TV Cartoons? Let's see if I can run this. (Spoilers: Yes.) Also got all but SWAT in Acronyms.

I heard 1990s Songs for $400 in Walmart yesterday. Not a glimmer of recognition in the rest of the category. Can't say I've heard of Blind Melon or Public Enemy.

No guess on FJ! Can't say that I recognize the correct response. Few things make me yawn faster than war, so it's clear I'm not gonna retain these boring-ass 80s war movies.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 pm TV Cartoons? Let's see if I can run this. (Spoilers: Yes.) Also got all but SWAT in Acronyms.

I heard 1990s Songs for $400 in Walmart yesterday. Not a glimmer of recognition in the rest of the category. Can't say I've heard of Blind Melon or Public Enemy.

No guess on FJ! Can't say that I recognize the correct response. Few things make me yawn faster than war, so it's clear I'm not gonna retain these boring-ass 80s war movies.
they had one of the most popular music videos of the 1990s

you don't recall public enemy's collaboration with anthrax on "bring the noise"?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 pm they had one of the most popular music videos of the 1990s

you don't recall public enemy's collaboration with anthrax on "bring the noise"?
Remember, I listened to almost nothing but country until I was 25. I'm still catching up.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 pm TV Cartoons? Let's see if I can run this. (Spoilers: Yes.) Also got all but SWAT in Acronyms.

Blind Melon's No Rain is well known for its music video (a little girl walking around in a bee costume).
davey

Post by davey »

I was surprised that James didn't get "The Bald Soprano," since he got a Daily Double about it on April 15. (Also disappointed that his opponents couldn't pick it up...)
BTW, the playwright's name is incorrectly rendered in the archive as Onesco. It was correct on the show. I reported this on the site a few days later but it hasn't been changed...
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

lincoln23 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 pm James's first show was April 4, and the tapings for this season (which ends in July) were over before April 17. So there might be people in the last few weeks of the season who saw at most a week of James before playing him in April, but not anyone we'll be seeing for a while.
In case anyone else is wondering, the final week of this season (July 22-26) will include the first players who could've watched the beginning of James's run. (His run started to air just two days before the last tape day of season 35, which was April 6th)

If this run goes that long, those folks will be trying to stop James from ending the season with 62 wins.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

davey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 pm I was surprised that James didn't get "The Bald Soprano," since he got a Daily Double about it on April 15.
You know it's an epic run when repeat clues start appearing! :)

Although that 4/15 clue was MUCH easier IMO, with the play's title as more color than TOM. ("Ionesco = Absurd" is a pretty basic pavlov, especially compared to "Ionesco = The Bald Soprano")
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mgiusto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am As good as James outplayed his opponents a route to defeat could be as simple as a miss on DD2 and an opponent in five figures finding and converting DD3 to have the lead for the FJ! round. It was all reasonably possible today.
Since all of these shows were taped in February (or whenever) how aware are the current opponents of how James plays and bets? Do they know prior to getting on the stage his strategy and how much he bets? Would Jason have known to go big on DD3 if he found it? would he have the courage to do so? That's the question here. If they are all coming in with no knowledge of what we're witnessing on TV for the past few weeks, they have no shot, because he is playing in a method no one has seen before.

The future contestants that have now seen this style of play will try to emulate it, which I think then changes how the game is played going forward, tough to say if that is good or bad long term, but James has now set the bar for single show winnings that you would think others will try to top, so we're going to see this style again next season, count on it.
Jason would have sat in the audience to see the Monday game as it's only the tourney QF games with players stuck in the green room. Even with only one game it should be quickly obvious what has to be done against James. Find the DDs and convert them.

http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=6290

At clue 14 of the DJ! round Jason went from 9600 to 11600 with both DDs hiding. His pick was DO YOU LOVE ME? for $800 while the DD was in that category down in the $2000 box. Jason could have been luckier with his selection to have played DD2.

If so then it's halfway through the round with James at 25400 and Jason at 11600. Jason's wager? Right, we cannot know. No matter what Jason cannot take the lead. For the clue itself I would like to think Jason could have done Juno to Jupiter, so let's give him a get.

DD3 is still out there. As the round played out Jason got two more $400 clues right for the rest of the round. James was very likely going to play DD3 at some point. What could have changed things was for Jason in the fantasy of getting DD2 to have realized he was in it and perhaps get some more clues smelling blood.

For the other scenario of James missing DD2 then that is Jame down to (let's call it) 14000 against 11600 so a close game. As it played out James got DD2 right and immediately switched categories to find the last DD.

To me it is not unreasonable to give James a rare miss on DD2 and to have a challenger good enough for five figures with no DDs to find the last DD and bet enough to end up having a sufficient total for the FJ! round lead even with James dominating the remaining clues.

I do understand that the pieces falling in such a way could take anywhere from 25 games to 150 games or more to happen as James is so good to negate multiple pieces of bad luck his way.

The numbers show James won by $72,000+ while I thought it might be useful to play the other side and attempt to show it was a only a little twist of matters to possibly change a lot.
davey

Post by davey »

RobW wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 pm I was surprised that James didn't get "The Bald Soprano," since he got a Daily Double about it on April 15.
You know it's an epic run when repeat clues start appearing! :)

Although that 4/15 clue was MUCH easier IMO, with the play's title as more color than TOM. ("Ionesco = Absurd" is a pretty basic pavlov, especially compared to "Ionesco = The Bald Soprano")
All true, and James may never have studied French, but it still shouldn't have been out of reach for a player as formidable as he...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

mgiusto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:35 pm going forward in next season anyone with a similar level of knowledge will try to go for the daily winnings high to top it and play in this style with huge DD and FJ bets. I'm sure we'll even see some huge bets and losses
Xu Donym wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm This. From now on, we will start seeing occasional one-day champions who pile up $100,000+ for a big win, then flame out with a big loss the next day.
No, no we won't.

The game is not going to change. It didn't change after Arthur Chu, it didn't change after Austin Rogers, it didn't change after Chuck Forrest. Players will go right back to the top down style with small, round number DD wagers. Because they don't know any better, they don't know how to play the game.

Before this only two of the greats cracked $70k, and now you think some random is going to pile up $100k in one show?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I had a "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling all through the first half of double jeopardy. It was obvious that Jason was desperately trying to find the Daily Doubles before the champ did. In a sense the game turned on that throwaway clue in the love category about the name for a person who loves French culture. I have to believe that all three of the players knew that and it was James's speed on the buzzer on that throwaway clue that let him find the back-to-back Daily Doubles.

Up until that moment it was conceivable that Jason would find the double, bet big, and get in contention for final jeopardy.

I said this before James appeared on the show: There ought to be a rule that categories can only be played straight down. I said that during the recent team tournament when one or more players were playing horizontally.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am I had a "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling all through the first half of double jeopardy. It was obvious that Jason was desperately trying to find the Daily Doubles before the champ did. In a sense the game turned on that throwaway clue in the love category about the name for a person who loves French culture. I have to believe that all three of the players knew that and it was James's speed on the buzzer on that throwaway clue that let him find the back-to-back Daily Doubles.

Up until that moment it was conceivable that Jason would find the double, bet big, and get in contention for final jeopardy.

I said this before James appeared on the show: There ought to be a rule that categories can only be played straight down. I said that during the recent team tournament when one or more players were playing horizontally.
that doesn't sound like something who is anti-sheep would say....going straight down in the traditional sense is very sheepish
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am I said this before James appeared on the show: There ought to be a rule that categories can only be played straight down. I said that during the recent team tournament when one or more players were playing horizontally.
Horizontally and straight down aren't mutually exclusive.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Can someone (perhaps Vermonter) explain what is meant by "Holzhauer now has the highest per-game average"? Didn't he have that a while ago?
billiej

Post by billiej »

I knew immediately what movie they were looking for in FJ, but spent about 20 seconds trying to remember the name of it, then another 5 wondering if there was more to the title (it can't be just "Glory", can it? was there more to it?). Fortunately it's short enough to scribble down at the last second. Whew!