Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

mgiusto wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:32 am The way I see this one is that if Nate and Laura talked about a game-plan to take down James they should have also agreed that if unsuccessful they would split 2nd & 3rd place money after the show so each of them would leave with $1500.

With that deal in place and only because you are up against James, you need to make it a true DD on that 3rd DD, if you get the answer wrong you gave it your best shot but if you get it right???? Game over and you took down the champ! It is definitely worth the risk, especially if the plan was to take James down.
Do you really think there are contestants who would hold back from a true DD in that situation because they're angling for the extra $1000 from the second place prize?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:17 pm Do you really think there are contestants who would hold back from a true DD in that situation because they're angling for the extra $1000 from the second place prize?
Not entirely sure this is an honest question, but there have been multiple contestants post on this board that they wagered the way they did to ensure 2nd place.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:36 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:17 pm Do you really think there are contestants who would hold back from a true DD in that situation because they're angling for the extra $1000 from the second place prize?
Not entirely sure this is an honest question, but there have been multiple contestants post on this board that they wagered the way they did to ensure 2nd place.
On a DD where they had a chance to go on and win the game? Quote me one.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Not about to dig through the board for this. But what do you think Robin did a couple of weeks ago against James?

Same goes for FJ wagering when a contestant has a chance to win.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:38 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Not about to dig through the board for this. But what do you think Robin did a couple of weeks ago against James?

Same goes for FJ wagering when a contestant has a chance to win.
I'm not going to dig either. I doubt Robin held back on a DD wager IN ORDER TO PRESERVE HER SHOT AT SECOND PLACE EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD A CHANCE TO WIN. I would be interested in even a single quote from a contestant who did this with this thinking. If there have been "there have been multiple contestants ... on this board" who have done this, perhaps one of them will chime in here.

The FJ thing is different and not what we're talking about. Even there, I doubt most contestants who hold back do so to preserve second when, with a larger wager, they could win. I think this is more likely in FJ, but still quite uncommon. So I'd be interested in a quote from a contestant here as well.
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:17 pm
mgiusto wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:32 am The way I see this one is that if Nate and Laura talked about a game-plan to take down James they should have also agreed that if unsuccessful they would split 2nd & 3rd place money after the show so each of them would leave with $1500.

With that deal in place and only because you are up against James, you need to make it a true DD on that 3rd DD, if you get the answer wrong you gave it your best shot but if you get it right???? Game over and you took down the champ! It is definitely worth the risk, especially if the plan was to take James down.
Do you really think there are contestants who would hold back from a true DD in that situation because they're angling for the extra $1000 from the second place prize?
I am not hypothesizing as to why Nate didn't go true daily double on the third DD he found and only bet $6,000. Only Nate knows why he did that and cost himself a shot at winning the day. I only gave my opinion as to what should have been done and why.