Friday, May 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, May 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:43 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm why was the pronunciation of dr. dree accepted for dr. dre?
Because it could reasonably be pronounced that way.
Everybody understands why he pronounced it that way, right? I was expecting it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm why was the pronunciation of dr. dree accepted for dr. dre?
Not a clue.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

obviously not...why did he pronounce it like that?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5167&p=305964#p305964 Read through the first post.
gnash wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:58 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:30 pm I know Mark showed the times Sun Valley has come up, but it's not a name I recall. My response matched Susan's.
My wild guess was close-sounding yet clearly wrong. I came up with "Sunnyvale", which turns out to be a place in CA.
There's a Los Angeles area called Sun Valley, too.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I though "MC Escher" with the prompting "Impossible staircase artist" was way too easy for bottom-row
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Not a clue.
April 22, 2019 Contestant Interview:

ALEX: James Holzhauer, from Las Vegas. He's our champion. Everybody has been very impressed watching you as the champ on the program. But you were very impressed by your father's skills with crossword puzzles until...

JAMES: Well, so my dad, while growing up, could always solve the whole "New York Times" Crossword. And I was like, "That's amazing. I wanna be that smart when I'm old." And then when I was an adult, he confessed to me that he would look up all the pop culture answers because he, you know--he didn't bother with that sort of trashy knowledge. But he told me he did memorize some of the ones that come up often, like rap star Dr. "Dree."

[ laughter ]

ALEX: I like Dr. Dree, too.

[ laughter ]
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:15 pm
Le Master wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:44 am New record. This is the kind of game in which I really wanted him to find all the DDs to see what kind of bets he would make. Only thing is I wonder if he would have been able to come up with "pruning hooks."
That was a rough one, wasn't it? Not something you're likely to guess if you don't know it. I thought Sam's guess of "rake" was decent. I agree it would have been interesting to see James get this clue. I got it right, so that must mean I went to a better seminary than Ironhorse. :D
If only someone could have followed with "hoe".
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 pm JAMES: Well, so my dad, while growing up, could always solve the whole "New York Times" Crossword. And I was like, "That's amazing. I wanna be that smart when I'm old." And then when I was an adult, he confessed to me that he would look up all the pop culture answers because he, you know--he didn't bother with that sort of trashy knowledge. But he told me he did memorize some of the ones that come up often, like rap star Dr. "Dree."

[ laughter ]

[ laughter ]
Ah, OK. I always speed through the contestant interviews.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

gnash wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:33 pm
harrumph wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm It's a bit of an obscure rule
It's like the first thing contestant coordinators say in the green room. "Remember, you can't win with zero!" They used to accompany it with a bad piece of wagering advice; I don't know if they still do.
Point well taken.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 pm Nothing indicated that James was being cutesy or attempting to get around the shout out rule although it is possible that is exactly what he was doing.
It was obviously a joke. Is there any place on earth less likely to be designated a Dark Sky Reserve than the LV Strip? I thought it was pretty funny.

FJ was pretty much "name a resort in Idaho."

Sun Valley, btw, has the claim to being the first ski resort to install a chairlift.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat May 25, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Hip-Hop To It, a couple clues in King James Bible, and Actors We Miss $600.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Maternally, Chloroform, (Bayreuth), The United States, Gin and Tonic, Midnight Special, Civic
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 pm JAMES: Well, so my dad, while growing up, could always solve the whole "New York Times" Crossword. And I was like, "That's amazing. I wanna be that smart when I'm old." And then when I was an adult, he confessed to me that he would look up all the pop culture answers because he, you know--he didn't bother with that sort of trashy knowledge. But he told me he did memorize some of the ones that come up often, like rap star Dr. "Dree."

[ laughter ]

[ laughter ]
Ah, OK. I always speed through the contestant interviews.
This was a heckuva sleuthing job by the only best penguin on the board. I saw that interview, but no way recall the connection. Great play by James, he probably has been waiting on that opening for 25 games. I'm glad Opus explained the joke for us dummies.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Way (way!) back when I first learned to read my parents had some sort of upholstery or curtain fabric decorated in a skiing motif, with the names of various ski resorts on it. And I remember thinking that "Sun Valley" seemed a strange name for a ski resort. So there was no way I was missing this FJ!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 pm And we're back to the new normal. :| Nate, Nate, Nate...
Easy FJ, 5/5 for the week. I thought pruning hooks was an easy DD. :geek:
No we're back to the old normal. One exceptional, competitive, interesting game, and back to the J! equivalent of Joe Louis and the "Bum of the Month Club." (and no, I'm not suggesting that any J! contestant is a bum. Only that that's what they used to call Louis's unending stream of "contestants" who never stood a chance against the champ. and that all of James's 50+ opponents, with one exception, have seemed to have no chance from the opening bell until I start to wish it would get stopped on account of cuts.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:15 pm
Le Master wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:44 am New record. This is the kind of game in which I really wanted him to find all the DDs to see what kind of bets he would make. Only thing is I wonder if he would have been able to come up with "pruning hooks."
That was a rough one, wasn't it? Not something you're likely to guess if you don't know it. I thought Sam's guess of "rake" was decent. I agree it would have been interesting to see James get this clue. I got it right, so that must mean I went to a better seminary than Ironhorse. :D
"Pruning hooks" was an instaget here. Chalk one up for my seminary too.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

judges: matronly for maternally? :?:
John Boy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:52 pm

No we're back to the old normal. One exceptional, competitive, interesting game, and back to the J! equivalent of Joe Louis and the "Bum of the Month Club." (and no, I'm not suggesting that any J! contestant is a bum. Only that that's what they used to call Louis's unending stream of "contestants" who never stood a chance against the champ. and that all of James's 50+ opponents, with one exception, have seemed to have no chance from the opening bell until I start to wish it would get stopped on account of cuts.)
The old normal was what we had during the Teachers' Tournament. Straight down the board, not optimizing DDs.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:20 pm judges: matronly for maternally? :?:
Nope. I looked that up on myself, too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

One time, a blacksmith came to our synagogue and turned a sword into a plowshare and a spear into a pruning hook using methods that would've been known at that time period. It took about 45 minutes, IIRC.
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 pm I though "MC Escher" with the prompting "Impossible staircase artist" was way too easy for bottom-row

"Staircase" was not in the clue. "Impossible constructions" and "Ascending and Descending" were.

James enjoys his little jokes, like "Las Vegas Strip" and "Dr. Dree." Surprised he didn't frown at the clue like he was struggling, this time...
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Today James left $799 on the table in FJ. His total for the 27 games is $47,930.

I wouldn't mind winning what he has left on the table.