Monday, May 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

gnash wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:46 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 pm Were the only two answers not questioned correctly the two stand and stares in the actresses category?
I think so.

Aunt Lydia was a surprising TS. Are the players not up on current events?
I imagine they don't have Hulu subscriptions...James has the money for one, but probably not the time...
Caboom wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Le Master wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:09 pm
Caboom wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm Too bad Alex misheard the last DD bet from James, as it would have been a new one day record otherwise. James quite clearly said "twenty two thousand", then Alex replied with "twenty thousand even?" and James nodded. Guess he didn't bother correcting Alex for a measly two grand.
Just rewatched that part. James clearly says "twenty thousand." All is good.
After rewatching it a few dozen times, I believe you're right. Initially I couldn't hear it as twenty thousand, even when I tried to, but now it seems clear.
He comes down on the first syllable so hard it's easy to mishear.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:15 pm I just said "Life". Judges?
isn't that what 2 losing contestants put and were scored correctly?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:58 pm Instaguessed Life and then talked myself out of it in favor of Monopoly. I just didn't see how the game with the plastic spinner, 3D board, and little automobiles could go back to 1860. Mrs Penguin also ruled out Life and went with Monopoly. Grrrr.....

However, I suspect there will be a high get rate on the board, and all three contestants got it. They've got to start making these things more difficult in Season 36 or James will go on forever. Same with DDs. All three of them were fairly easy: Era of Good Feelings, Langston Hughes, and Secretary of the Interior.
got all 3 of those wrong...never heard of the first 2...did get the final jeopardy clue correct...i edit trivia games for local bars and remember seeing life was old AF and never knew it had been around that long...only game i could name that came out around that time, so said life for this final jeopardy clue
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So who else joined me on seeing "Blondie was phoning it in" and said "Hanging on the Telephone" instead of "Call Me"?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:24 pm So who else joined me on seeing "Blondie was phoning it in" and said "Hanging on the Telephone" instead of "Call Me"?
not me...never heard of either those songs before
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

gnash wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:46 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 pm Were the only two answers not questioned correctly the two stand and stares in the actresses category?
I think so.

Aunt Lydia was a surprising TS. Are the players not up on current events?

Is there anything Janelle Monae doesn't do?
With the game now archived, we see the players did indeed go 58-0-2 with 3/3 in FJ. Is that a record for most total correct responses without a miss? (Paging cheezyguy).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I can see the players missing Aunt Lydia, but there's really no excuse for missing Janelle Monáe. She's too famous now. Sorry, no excuse.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 pm I can see the players missing Aunt Lydia, but there's really no excuse for missing Janelle Monáe. She's too famous now. Sorry, no excuse.
Never heard of her.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:24 pm So who else joined me on seeing "Blondie was phoning it in" and said "Hanging on the Telephone" instead of "Call Me"?
Went with "Call Me" as a total guess. Didn't know whether it was Blondie or not, not if that was the correct title. Never heard of "Hanging On The Telephone".

Oh, and never heard of Janelle Monae either. Darned pretty young thang, tho...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote: Hmm, I had learned the post-War of 1812 era as The Era of Good Feeling, in the singular.
That's what I thought it was properly called also. I was wondering if there might be a reversal at the interview.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 pm I can see the players missing Aunt Lydia, but there's really no excuse for missing Janelle Monáe. She's too famous now. Sorry, no excuse.
never heard of either of them
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

gnash wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:54 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am 18600 for James at the first break. Not bad for 15 clues.
Is that a record?
Yes, I believe so.

(fyi the best possible score at Break #1 - assuming they stop after clue #15, which happens to be the DD, is $24,000)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm
Never heard of her.
Ditto.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Rackme32 wrote:
CasketRomance" wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: So who else joined me on seeing "Blondie was phoning it in" and said "Hanging on the Telephone" instead of "Call Me"?
not me...never heard of either those songs before
Went with "Call Me" as a total guess. Didn't know whether it was Blondie or not, not if that was the correct title. Never heard of "Hanging On The Telephone".
Being thiswas coming from TPH, I had to look up Hanging on the Telephone to verify it was an actual song. I own a Blondie Greatest Hits CD, but I never heard of that song.
The category was called The Year's Biggest Hit Song, so album filler songs wouldn't be what they ask for.

Call Me should be familiar to most people over a certain age.
Just out of curiousity, I wonder if CasketRomance is familliar with 1979's biggest hit song.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:17 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:15 pm I just said "Life". Judges?
isn't that what 2 losing contestants put and were scored correctly?
Yes. I have been caught red handed playing the FJ before watching the episode.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 pm Being thiswas coming from TPH, I had to look up Hanging on the Telephone to verify it was an actual song. I own a Blondie Greatest Hits CD, but I never heard of that song.
The category was called The Year's Biggest Hit Song, so album filler songs wouldn't be what they ask for.
Classic TPHian overthinking. I know "Call Me", so I figured it HAD to be too easy for the bottom row.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Despite music being one of my worst categories, I managed to get 4/5 of the Biggest Hits, missing only the $800 clue (1976/Silly Love Songs). Looking it up just now, I legit don't think I've ever heard this song before. Also, it's terrible, why was this a hit.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 am Also, it's terrible, why was this a hit.
Because it was a Paul McCartney single released when his band Wings was at its peak. Shocking you haven't heard it. I think it's a pretty decent song. I wouldn't turn it on on my own, but it's pleasant to listen to whenever it comes on. His post-Beatles music is mostly pretty good.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Despite music being one of my worst categories, I managed to get 4/5 of the Biggest Hits, missing only the $800 clue (1976/Silly Love Songs). Looking it up just now, I legit don't think I've ever heard this song before. Also, it's terrible, why was this a hit.
When you put it next to songs like Disco Duck, it doesn't seem so bad. As much as I like Paul MaCartney, Silly Love Songs was probably my least favorite of all his hits. Listen to What the Man Said from the previous year was a much better song, IMO.

I think a lot of it had to with his icon status of the day, back then. Anything he put out was going to be a hit. Don't Say Goodnight Tonight was another goofy big hit by him. I like it because of the memories associated with it but it's kind of a stupid song.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Did we ever start that GoFundMe for James after he fell below the $77K/game average? Today's jackpot offset his two days of poor mouthing and he is back to $78412.75/game. (I would NEVER reference a 7 sigfig dollar value but I've been making loose posts and will fact check everything before I post the wrong information :lol: ). A mere 38K Tuesday will sustain the pace.

As beekeepers (with a half dozen ankle stings due to making a Teranov split this weekend because, I don't know - it's twelvefootgirl's dealio), we found the bee category interesting. I assumed the dance clue would require "waggle dance", but the word might have been used in the clue, and they weren't being pedantic for 200 bucks (or 400?). We've never even seen Royal Jelly collected in bulk, so we'll have to study how they separate it from the larvae.

I always look for the Monday contestants to be deer in the headlights. They answered hard questions when they dared to ring in. I think the speed of the game ambushed them more than the intimidation factor.

I never heard of either of those actresses. Sorry, morbeedo. But I'm sure they never heard of me either.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.