Monday, May 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, May 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 am I don't think I'd be able to recognize any of Janelle Monae's songs, but I did recognize her just from the photo last night.
Same here. I didn't recognize her in connection with anything. I didn't say, "Oh yeah, that's the woman that sang/said/was in...." But I definitely said, "Oh yeah... her." She's like someone whose name you've totally forgotten and they show up at a party and you're all, "Hey... you! How are you doing? Been a while!"

This, I understand, is no measure of Monae's level of celebrity. It serves only to help calibrate my level of cluelessness on recent pop culture.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Silly Love Songs, Aunt Lydia, and Little Anthony.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Janelle Monae
Douglas Squasoni
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 pm With the game now archived, we see the players did indeed go 58-0-2 with 3/3 in FJ. Is that a record for most total correct responses without a miss? (Paging cheezyguy).
Last Tuesday's game also had 61 correct responses and no misses. The contestants on May 1 combined for 59 right and 0 wrong. The only other game in the Archive without any negs is the 2008-B TeenT finals #1, which had 60 correct responses.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 am Totally familiar with songs 1, 3, 5. I've heard of the other three artists but didn't recognize and couldn't name any of their songs.
That's pretty much me, too.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I hear a lot of Blondie on the stations I listen to (SXM Underground Garage, First Wave, Deep Tracks) and am old enough to have caught most of their emergence from the NYC punk/New Wave scene, and I also went to “Hanging on the Telephone” instead of “Call Me”. The movie reference did not help.

And count me among those who want the whole Handmaid’s Tale to go away and never return; I read the book when it was published, thought it was lightweight and boring then, and simply cannot fathom how any thinking person sees any relevance in it vis a vis US political landscape. Bizarre...
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Okay, let's do a little threadjacking. These are the six songs/artists from the 5/27 ep. of Beat Shazam:
Spoiler
"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells
"Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw
"On Broadway" by George Benson
"Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguilera
Totally familiar with songs 1, 3, 5. I've heard of the other three artists but didn't recognize and couldn't name any of their songs.
This old guy also has same result... Heard the names of all 6 artists, knew the songs of 1, 3, 5.

Since I've never watched Beat Shazam, I found an episode online and watched. Pretty entertaining, but could they cue the audience a bit more? They were never ever yelling the catch phrases together as if rehearsed... Oh, wait. They were ALWAYS cued, as if they'd done fifty audience rehearsals or something...

Despite all that, I gotta admit the level of play was pretty incredible, with nearly all of the tunes nailed in less than two seconds. I don't know if I'd even be competitive if they had a special pre-1950 episode.

Another thought: Is there something special about blue sets and game shows? Jeopardy's set is blue, and many of the other recent bigger-money game shows have a darker, somewhat angrier blue-themed look... like Shazam, The Chase, Millionaire, 500 Questions, for example...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

cthulhu wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 pm And count me among those who want the whole Handmaid’s Tale to go away and never return; I read the book when it was published, thought it was lightweight and boring then, and simply cannot fathom how any thinking person sees any relevance in it vis a vis US political landscape. Bizarre...
How well did this post age, Indiana?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

gnash wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:00 pm
cthulhu wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 pm And count me among those who want the whole Handmaid’s Tale to go away and never return; I read the book when it was published, thought it was lightweight and boring then, and simply cannot fathom how any thinking person sees any relevance in it vis a vis US political landscape. Bizarre...
I saw a photoshop of my governor in a Handsmaid outfit signing the abortion law.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 pm
gnash wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:00 pm
I saw a photoshop of my governor in a Handsmaid outfit signing the abortion law.
It would fit more in the current events thread, but today SCOTUS let stand the Indiana law requiring burial for aborted fetuses. That's what I was referring to.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Knew all six artists, knew 1, 3, and 5 songs.

Have heard of Monae, not familiar with any of her stuff.

Have not heard of Aunt Lydia.

I think it's time to bring back the limit on the number of games played. Sometimes long runs work (Rogers, Jennings), sometimes they don't (Jackson, this one). Other than Nate last week, these games are just plain boooooooooring. I really don't care how much he knows or how many records he sets.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

alietr wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:19 am I think it's time to bring back the limit on the number of games played. Sometimes long runs work (Rogers, Jennings), sometimes they don't (Jackson, this one). Other than Nate last week, these games are just plain boooooooooring. I really don't care how much he knows or how many records he sets.
Couldn't disagree more. For me, this is the first time in a while where I don't lag behind in watching the episodes, as I can't wait for every new episode to come out. Regular games with three Subarus are the ones that are boring.

I wonder to what degree your opinion is influenced by how James acted in the past.
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:19 am I think it's time to bring back the limit on the number of games played. Sometimes long runs work (Rogers, Jennings), sometimes they don't (Jackson, this one). Other than Nate last week, these games are just plain boooooooooring. I really don't care how much he knows or how many records he sets.
As Lazlo said in Real Genius, they set up the rules and James has come to realize he has certain materialistic needs. :lol:
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

The show is actively promoting James' run. The "J In The Media" page here is exploding. I have to assume that the ratings are up.