Friday, May 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-NOMINATED FAMILIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the last name of Alfred, Lionel, David, Emil, Thomas & Randy, who with 90 nominations, are the most Oscar-nominated family

James Holzhauer: 52633+27000=79633 (32x = $2,462,216)
William Tran: 800+700=1500
Wyatt Feeler:12600-5000=7600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Newman (Wyatt – Hitchcock)

Daily Doubles
James: 3800+3800
James: 18800+10021
James: 32821+9812

Coryats
James: 33600
William: 800
Wyatt: 12600

Combined: 47,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 14400
William: minus 1200
Wyatt: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

William was in the red after clue 1, further in the red after clue 2, still in the red at DD1, after the first segment, after the J! round, at DD2 and at DD3. William got clue 28 of the DJ! round to get back on the plus side and doubled his $400 getting clue 30. It’s how you finish as he also solved the FJ! clue.

THE COMICS $1000 is a board member shout out.

Wyatt did alright with the buzzer with a strong second place position though with no DDs he had no chance. The hunting instinct was not there as calling a top box clue does not cut it.

The FJ! clue had me off to a doubly bad start. First, I had to dismiss Barrymore off seeing Lionel. Then when I realized the end of the list of names was the key one I had a moment of panic when I went to get the last name and it was not there.

I closed my eyes, took a breath, cleared my head and still did not have it. The detour that worked for me was a time travel back to junior high and recalling his dumb Top 40 hit that caused me annoyance when friends or classmates liked to give me the business with the chorus. It was all in good fun and not in a bullying way. Kids being kids.

James needs another like today's on Monday and he will be past Ken's 74-day total. In just 33 wins. It seems like the only thing tha can stop James is the airing of tournaments and the next one is not until later in June.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I went the same way you did on Lionel, with no confidence. Guessed correctly after reviewing the list, but I can't say I did it all in 30 seconds.

Alfred is actually a helpful name, if you've read the history of Mad Magazine. Their mascot name isn't directly related to the composer, but he does get a footnote mention. I've heard of him, at least. But Movie family + Lionel is a huge distractor.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

The Lionel red herring took too much time away from me as well so I couldn't come up with a response in time. James not having any natural brain farts or mental lapses in 26 straight FJs is absolutely absurd.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

After today's game, James has left a total of $49,978 on the table going into FJ with a lock.

In the 22(20) games before the Teacher's Tournament he left an average of $2,295 on the table going into FJ with a lock.

in the 10(9) games since then, he has left an average of $365 on the table going into FJ with a lock.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:38 amMovie family + Lionel is a huge distractor.
As is Alfred, somewhat, unless you've heard of Alfred Newman, or happened to know that Hitch didn't have relatives in the biz, aside from Alma. This is one of those clues where's it's all about the last item in a list and don't be distracted by all the others. Or, have gone to USC, where there's a recital hall named after Al Newmann.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:39 pm
As is Alfred, somewhat, unless you've heard of Alfred Newman, or happened to know that Hitch didn't have relatives in the biz, aside from Alma.
Yeah, I went with Hitchcock, too. All Randy gave me was Quaid and like others, I discarded Barrymore quickly. I thought maybe it was one of those where Alfred has 89 and the others combined for 1 (kinda like the brothers with the most HRs are the Aarons -- Hank's 755 and Tommie's 13).
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I grew up in Vermont, so Smuggler's Notch was a gimme for me, but many states boast a city or town named Burlington, I thought that was a difficult clue.
Teems with quiet fun.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

immaf wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:03 pm I grew up in Vermont, so Smuggler's Notch was a gimme for me, but many states boast a city or town named Burlington, I thought that was a difficult clue.
Smuggler's Notch is beautiful! We used to go there every summer as a family.

There were a bunch of clues that living in Boston made much easier, today. Smuggler's Notch, the Patriots and Mayor Mahty Walsh, Mary Baker Eddy, the Cape, and maybe one or two others I don't remember right now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex seemed really upbeat in the intro. It's actually quite reassuring.

"Howl" not being wolf threw me for a loop and distracted me from the obvious second choice of dog. That was some truly brutal negbait.

Also whiffed with Cinnabon for Au Bon Pain. I have heard of them, but since there are zero locations in Michigan, they were too far back in the mental file for me to access.

Missed $200 only in Pennsylvania. That college could easily be in any major PA town, like say, maybe State College.

Ran "Lash" and Comic Strips, all but "gray cells" in Color.

0/5 in African American Biographies.

What was the TOM for Muhammad at $400?

No guess on FJ! I know Randy Newman but didn't know there were any others.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

chalk up another barrymore for me...i know randy newman from the dumb azz song the dodgers play after each home victory, but didn't know there were other newmans that were oscar nominated
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 pm Alex seemed really upbeat in the intro. It's actually quite reassuring.

"Howl" not being wolf threw me for a loop and distracted me from the obvious second choice of dog. That was some truly brutal negbait.

Also whiffed with Cinnabon for Au Bon Pain. I have heard of them, but since there are zero locations in Michigan, they were too far back in the mental file for me to access.

Missed $200 only in Pennsylvania. That college could easily be in any major PA town, like say, maybe State College.

Ran "Lash" and Comic Strips, all but "gray cells" in Color.

0/5 in African American Biographies.

No guess on FJ! I know Randy Newman but didn't know there were any others.
i never heard of au bon pain...first thing that came to my min was a crap chain in south korea called paris baguette...knew it was going to to be that as i don't believe there are any stores in usa...had nothing for it
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 pm
"The Greatest"

His self-designated nickname also led to the song "The Greatest Love of All," introduced by George Benson in the 1977 film "The Greatest."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I love Randy Newman, and I knew there was another composer Newman with more Oscar nominations (though I had no idea they were related), but I totally fell for the Lionel negbait and foolishly answered Barrymore.

Just in case I ever wondered why I didn't win 2 million + on this show... :D
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 pm
"The Greatest"

His self-designated nickname also led to the song "The Greatest Love of All," introduced by George Benson in the 1977 film "The Greatest."
wrong clue...he was referring to the clue about the prophet muhammad
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"His death in 632 AD led to a disupte over whether Abu Bakr or Ali was his true successor."

I got nothin'.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 pm "His death in 632 AD led to a disupte over whether Abu Bakr or Ali was his true successor."

I got nothin'.
let me see here...religious figure...islam...600s...hmmm...wonder who it could be?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought maybe J! was going to have the challengers sue James into losing. :lol:
A certain penguin on these boards made it into the game 8-)
Thought of Barrymores for FJ, switched to Quaids, no way I was getting Newmans out of it. :roll: