Season 36 Changes & Predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by jeopardyfan939 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 pm

I think Brad v. Ken v. James (a matchup of the only 3 legitimate candidates for GOAT) is likely to happen relatively soon after the TOC, and doesn't necessitate or need to be watered-down by a super-tournament. Plus, no one wants to see most of the same players who were in the All-Star tournament again so soon.
Or maybe they could do a mini-tournament, with the winner receiving $1M. The tournament only features the semi-final and final rounds, thus the event only lasts a week. Contestants competing could include (I'm doing potential semifinal matches):

- James Holzhauer
- Ben Ingram
- Austin Rogers

- Brad Rutter
- Julia Collins
- Buzzy Cohen

- Ken Jennings
- Roger Craig
- Larissa Kelly


Consider the possibility of the finals coming down to Ken vs. Brad. vs. James. I can see James throwing off Ken & Brad with his Forrest bounce strategy and aggressive wagering on Daily Doubles (assuming he gets the correct response), and James becoming the first human opponent to defeat Brad Rutter.

User avatar
leszekp
Valued Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by leszekp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:01 pm

My own biased suggestion:

All TOC winners, plus additional top players to fill out a 45-player field.

15 preliminary matches, broadcast in February sweeps. Winners go on to a standard 15-player tournament for May sweeps.

jeopardyfan939
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by jeopardyfan939 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:09 am

leszekp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:01 pm
My own biased suggestion:

All TOC winners, plus additional top players to fill out a 45-player field.

15 preliminary matches, broadcast in February sweeps. Winners go on to a standard 15-player tournament for May sweeps.
A suggestion I have in mind for this super-tournament is James receiving a bye to the finals (regardless of how he finishes the ToC), while Ken and Brad are automatic semifinalists. All other ToC winners/top players are those who made their original appearances after Ken's run.

polaris
Contributor
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by polaris » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:10 am

I'd prefer 364 players, 5 single-elimination rounds, no byes, four-player first round, standard second round, standard quarterfinal, two-day total-point affair semifinals and a three-day totl-point affair final.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6652
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by alietr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 am

We seem to have segued from Changes & Predictions to Wishful Thinking.

User avatar
leszekp
Valued Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by leszekp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:10 pm

alietr wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 am
We seem to have segued from Changes & Predictions to Wishful Thinking.
Yup. ;)

jeopardyfan939
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by jeopardyfan939 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 pm

This thread has been inactive for almost a month, and the season premiere is tomorrow. My guess is the only change will be the opening title graphics. I suspect it'll be either similar to Seasons 34 and 35, and I think the contestant intros and winnings indicators will be the same as S34 & S35. The set is still the same, and I have a feeling the music package will also be the same.

CasualJeopardyFan19
Valued Contributor
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 am

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02 am

We'll find out tomorrow. As far as the overall set and atmosphere of the show, I doubt anything will change aside from the opening graphics, as it does every season. In terms of gameplay, though, we could certainly see some more aggressive DD betting after King James introduced the world to his strategy. We may not get another $100K plus game for a very long time (if ever), but a lot more $50K paydays could certainly be in the realm of possibility now.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by Ironhorse » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:23 am

I predict Jason Zuffranieri will be the first 5+ game winner of the season.

I'll see myself out.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6652
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by alietr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 am

Article on the creation of the new graphics:

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/09/ ... iwnslwOREM

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by mas3cf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:53 pm

I predict ToC will be replaced with ToW (Tournament of Watsons). 15 Watsons, 3 rounds, $1,000,000 prize. We'll all be wowed by their impeccable buzzer timing and precise, optimal wagering.

jeopardyfan939
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by jeopardyfan939 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:04 pm

kingskip wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 pm
What a shame. It’s definitely time for a new set. Maybe that will happen in November like it did in 1996 and 2002
It's already November (the ToC is airing), and at the end of October they already taped shows for January; I don't think anyone who attended a taping last month said there was a new set.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by triviawayne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:38 am

jeopardyfan939 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:04 pm
kingskip wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 pm
What a shame. It’s definitely time for a new set. Maybe that will happen in November like it did in 1996 and 2002
It's already November (the ToC is airing), and at the end of October they already taped shows for January; I don't think anyone who attended a taping last month said there was a new set.

I just don't see a new set until Alex leaves, on his own terms or otherwise. If he were to leave in the middle of a season, there may even be a temporary host to finish it out so the new set (with probable new music) will go with the new host, and viewers will feel less like someone stole Alex's job.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by triviawayne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 am

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:38 am
jeopardyfan939 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:04 pm
kingskip wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 pm
What a shame. It’s definitely time for a new set. Maybe that will happen in November like it did in 1996 and 2002
It's already November (the ToC is airing), and at the end of October they already taped shows for January; I don't think anyone who attended a taping last month said there was a new set.

I just don't see a new set until Alex leaves, on his own terms or otherwise. If he were to leave in the middle of a season, there may even be a temporary host to finish it out so the new set (with probable new music) will go with the new host at the beginning of the next new season, and viewers will feel less like someone stole Alex's job.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Post Reply