Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

I liked Emma and was rooting for her to make the ToC, but I liked all three contestants in this exciting game and would have been OK with any of them winning.

Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
I thought I heard Asteris.

Instaget FJ just from Steinbeck (early - mid 20th c.) + "a voice and a guitar". I should've at least thought it through to the Dust Bowl angle.

So, Emma escapes the usual fate of giant killers, but only makes it to 3 days. Meh. I was hoping for a possible TOC rematch.

As someone who loves the Kill Bill movies more than is rational, that O-Ren TS was annoying :evil:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm I liked Emma and was rooting for her to make the ToC, but I liked all three contestants in this exciting game and would have been OK with any of them winning.

Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
I felt the same way about the three very capable contestants. Brendan was super enthused, Salome (!) was intriguing, and Emma works for my alma mater. Would've been happy to see any of them win.

I heard "Asterisk" too.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I started with Woody Guthrie and stuck with him. I only very briefly considered Seeger. But I thought long and hard about whether it might be someone like Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
I thought I heard Asteris.
I just ran it back and I can hear the final "k", but (full disclosure) I'm using a literal VCR.

I got FJ!. Like ChexMix, I'm curious whether special instructions were given.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 pm
Steppenwolf wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 pm For Final Jeopardy, I was torn between Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie (and chose the wrong one, of course). Other than knowing the actual quote, is there anything that would lead toward one rather than the other?
Steinbeck to Grapes of Wrath, to dust bowl, to Guthrie.
This. The Okie Connection (wasn't that a song in The Muppet Grapes of Wrath?) made W. Guthrie the obvious choice. I probably should have made myself keep thinking. But sometimes when I land on a great response, it's hard to think of anything else. So I didn't consider Seeger, though he's not a bad guess. And I definitely didn't think of Dylan. I suppose he was technically possible since I knew Steinbeck didn't die until 1968. I thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much. If you don't know that Guthrie needs at least a first initial, you're just going to have to lose the hard way. Emma knew, but went with the wrong one.

I wonder if a calmer Emma, one who had bet at least $201 more on DD3, might have worked her way to the right response. This is a tough loss for someone who could have gone a lot farther.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Started keeping track of scores again. Interestingly, I got all the $600s and ran Spell It or Say It. My Coryat was $25,600 despite me going 0/5 in two categories (Literature and History).

"Escritoire" was probably my best get. Also Lach Trash on Nikon, THX, and Centrum.

No guess on FJ! I knew Dylan was wrong but I just had nothing. Even if I'd have thought of Woody Guthrie, I would have dismissed him since I thought he was only a songwriter, not a singer.

====

Any reason I should know that Roger Clemens had B12 and not any other vitamin?

Macau = Portugal seemed very YEKIOYD to me. Didn't see a single TOM in that clue.

Can't say I've heard of The Tick before.

Another retail miss for me, as I've never been to Williams Sonoma and don't know what they sell.

I would like to thank the Oak Ridge Boys for teaching me "Monongahela", and annual trips to Anthrocon for helping me internalize PGH's geography.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

ChexMix wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm I feel like I remember(possibly from this board?) Someone once saying that in certain finals, instructions are sometimes given pre final that simply a surname is not sufficient. Does anyone know or have any indication that this may have happened? I'm assuming simply Guthrie would not have been accepted.
Seeing as how Emma's response could have been parsed as "(a) Guthrie", and it was ruled incorrect, leads me to believe that a first name or initial was required.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I am sad to see Emma was defeated, but she did impress me with her knowledge and for winning $97,000 in three games, so I have nothing but a whole lot of respect for her. Even if she did come up with the correct response, she would have lost by $200. Well played, Emma, enjoy your earnings! :)
Just a person who loves game shows.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm I liked Emma and was rooting for her to make the ToC, but I liked all three contestants in this exciting game and would have been OK with any of them winning.

Emma got away with "Asterisk" and "moody disorder", which both should have been negged.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 pm
ChexMix wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm I feel like I remember(possibly from this board?) Someone once saying that in certain finals, instructions are sometimes given pre final that simply a surname is not sufficient. Does anyone know or have any indication that this may have happened? I'm assuming simply Guthrie would not have been accepted.
Seeing as how Emma's response could have been parsed as "(a) Guthrie", and it was ruled incorrect, leads me to believe that a first name or initial was required.
For sure they got the instruction to "be very specific". That explains both the 3 first names and the 1 first initial.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm Any reason I should know that Roger Clemens had B12 and not any other vitamin?

Macau = Portugal seemed very YEKIOYD to me. Didn't see a single TOM in that clue.
B12 shots are what doctors give (or claim they're giving) to boost energy levels. Unlike steroids, B12 is perfectly allowed for ballplayers.

Macau is pretty close to a YEKIOYD. One other way in is that the name just... looks Portuguese. That's what helped me. But I know you hate those kind of claims, so there's no point in taking that further.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

And here I thought the Mojave was in Arizona...
Got FJ easily.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Once again I thought Emma made a DD wager that was too low. What was the point of not going all-in? Like, what chance does she have if she falls to 3,000 at that late point in the game?

Then again, Salome's extremely altruistic FJ wager is a counterpoint to my wagering advice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm And here I thought the Mojave was in Arizona...
Part of it is.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm And here I thought the Mojave was in Arizona...
Part of it is.
It was the part that's in Nevada that concerned me more. I wouldn't have wanted to guess the wrong one and hand the rebound to an opponent. On a DD I would have said California.

This was the penultimate clue. Only $400 left on the board with Brendan $200 behind Emma. If Brendan rings in and misses, he's just thrown away his chance at the lead. If Emma rings in and misses, she's just given him the lead. In a situation like that it's hard and maybe foolish to ring in when you've got a little bit of doubt.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which has both a park and a museum named after Woody Guthrie, so this FJ was a "gimme" for me. I assume that Emma was thinking of Arlo, who is better known these days, thanks to the enduring success of "Alice's Restaurant."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Emma got away with "Asterisk" and "moody disorder", which both should have been negged.
I heard "Asterisk" and "mood"

Would Red River have prompted a BMS

Another product placement from Pfizer??? Wish someone could confirm if these clues generate ad revenue for the show.

I said écritoire, which might be wrong?

Sorry to see Emma go, now bring me the head of John the Baptist!
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm Thing is I've still been rather upset to this day that James lost and fell short of Ken's record, and what really made me upset was Monday's episode got leaked on social media last weekend.
might want to rethink your life if you are that emotionally invested over a jeopardy contestant
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm Thing is I've still been rather upset to this day that James lost and fell short of Ken's record, and what really made me upset was Monday's episode got leaked on social media last weekend.
might want to rethink your life if you are that emotionally invested over a jeopardy contestant
cash me ousside, howbow dah?