Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:59 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm
gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 pm And the question that started this subthread was whether the special instruction helped choose Guthrie over Seeger. It did not.
Well, I think it did. They wouldn't have needed to give special instructions had the actual correct response been Seeger, a name that is spelled differently than Seger.
You can't be ruled wrong for misspelling that can reasonably be pronounced as the correct answer, let alone for one that actually is pronounced the same. Therefore, the fact that Pete Seeger and Bob Seger spell their last names differently is completely irrelevant.
It's possible I'm wrong, but I doubt special instructions would be given for a clue where two people could be confused whose names are spelled differently, even if they are homophones. If that's the case then it's relevant.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm Thing is I've still been rather upset to this day that James lost and fell short of Ken's record, and what really made me upset was Monday's episode got leaked on social media last weekend.
might want to rethink your life if you are that emotionally invested over a jeopardy contestant
cash me ousside, howbow dah?
i don't get the correlation
I just discovered Danielle Bregoli, and I can't stop saying cash me ousside
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 pm
gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 pm And the question that started this subthread was whether the special instruction helped choose Guthrie over Seeger. It did not.
Well, I think it did. They wouldn't have needed to give special instructions had the actual correct response been Seeger, a name that is spelled differently than Seger.
You can't be ruled wrong for misspelling that can reasonably be pronounced as the correct answer, let alone for one that actually is pronounced the same. Therefore, the fact that Pete Seeger and Bob Seger spell their last names differently is completely irrelevant.
It's possible I'm wrong, but I doubt special instructions would be given for a clue where two people could be confused whose names are spelled differently, even if they are homophones. If that's the case then it's relevant.
Why would they not give special instructions? I'd think they would, if anything, be more called for. Imagine all the angry viewers complaining that the wrong answer of Seger was accepted for Seeger (or vice versa). Surely the producers would want to avoid that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 pm
I'm kind of on the fence. It wouldn't surprise me to see them accept just "Who is Seeger?" for Pete. (And I'm sure they would also accept "Who is Pete Seger?" Are we all on the same page on that one?) It would surprise me to see them accept just "Who is Guthrie?" for Woody G. So a pre-FJ instruction to be specific would tilt me mildly toward W. Guthrie if the clue seemed like a coin flip between him and P. Seeger. But I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Can't be Pete because otherwise they would NEVER have issued that instruction." I'm just not that confident. So I agree with Gnash that the existence of Bob Seger "complicates" this line of reasoning, even if it doesn't completely invalidate it.

There is no record in the archive of Bob or Pete being the correct response to any FJ. Which proves my point. They've studiously avoided the issue by making sure it never comes up. :D
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am
gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am
Giannid wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pmI thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
The existence of Bob Seger complicates this line of reasoning. Steinbeck is a far stronger hint.
Not if you know the two spell their names differently, though.
One of the people I ran through while solving this one correctly was Jimmie Rodgers, the Singing Brakeman. An instruction would be necessary if they needed to distinguish him from the unrelated 1950s/60s folk/pop singer (known for such hits as "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" and "Oh Oh I'm Falling in Love Again"). I reasoned that Woody Guthrie was much more likely to be praised by Steinbeck (OK connection, leftist politics) than Rodgers. (Interestingly, Jimmie Rodgers was the real name of both of them.)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Moonroof, Green Hornet(Bad Miss), and Commode.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Nikon, THX, Centrum, Niacin, O-Ren Ishii, California

California a STUMPER?!?!? :shock:

Nikon was also a surprising stumper.
Douglas Squasoni
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

In my job in a used record store I've been processing a large folk collection with titles from Peggy Seeger and Mike Seeger. They are half-siblings of Pete Seeger.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 pm So a pre-FJ instruction to be specific would tilt me mildly toward W. Guthrie if the clue seemed like a coin flip between him and P. Seeger. But I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Can't be Pete because otherwise they would NEVER have issued that instruction." I'm just not that confident.
Yes, I think I can live with that. In any event I don't think I'd have a chance to run down that thought process fully in 30 seconds.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm Missed this episode (thanks again, KABC and NBA), so only read FJ here. I was way out in the weeds. I never heard the quote from Steinbeck, so couldn't solve it directly. The best I could do was tie in to the beginnings of the civil rights movement in the 50s. (Which, in hindsight, is the right general direction.) I didn't think Steinbeck was alive in the 60's, so that's a fail on my part. I was going down the track of Black musicians, which had me thinking of Otis Redding and BB King. Picked BB, since I was sure he played guitar. But I was too far down the Jazz rabbit hole and not enough on the Folk (and potentially not-black) side of things.

That Oklahoma connection between Steinbeck and Woody makes no sense to me. (Sorry for sounding like TPH here.) Yes, Woodie is from there and Steinbeck wrote some obscure novel :P about people from Oklahoma. But that's a pretty darn low TOM, if you ask me.
Grapes of Wrath is "some obscure novel"?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

flemmingfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm Missed this episode (thanks again, KABC and NBA), so only read FJ here. I was way out in the weeds. I never heard the quote from Steinbeck, so couldn't solve it directly. The best I could do was tie in to the beginnings of the civil rights movement in the 50s. (Which, in hindsight, is the right general direction.) I didn't think Steinbeck was alive in the 60's, so that's a fail on my part. I was going down the track of Black musicians, which had me thinking of Otis Redding and BB King. Picked BB, since I was sure he played guitar. But I was too far down the Jazz rabbit hole and not enough on the Folk (and potentially not-black) side of things.

That Oklahoma connection between Steinbeck and Woody makes no sense to me. (Sorry for sounding like TPH here.) Yes, Woodie is from there and Steinbeck wrote some obscure novel :P about people from Oklahoma. But that's a pretty darn low TOM, if you ask me.
Grapes of Wrath is "some obscure novel"?
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pmI thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
The existence of Bob Seger complicates this line of reasoning. Steinbeck is a far stronger hint.
Sure, Steinbeck is a key hint. My first thought was Dylan, but with Steinbeck, I figured it was somebody popular before Dylan. So then I thought of Dylan's idol, Woody Guthrie, but all I cold think about was "This Land is Your Land", and didn't think it was song about oppression. Pete Seeger did some protest songs if I recall, and so I went with him. Again, if there had been pre-instructions about first and last names, I would have thought definitely Woody Guthrie because he was Iconic from Steinbeck's era, and had a son, Arlo, who was popular around 1970 (too late for Steinbeck's time) which would have confirmed the pre-clue instructions if there were any. As to Bob Seger, a rock star from the 1970's and 80's, he wouldn't have been a consideration. Plus he spells his name differently from Pete Seeger.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was rooting for Emma to lose. Unfortunately, the woman from Alabama I was rooting for to win also lost.

I got Guthrie from the Okie connection and added a W in front of his surname.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

pinkfreud wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 pm I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which has both a park and a museum named after Woody Guthrie, so this FJ was a "gimme" for me. I assume that Emma was thinking of Arlo, who is better known these days, thanks to the enduring success of "Alice's Restaurant."
How about Woody and the even more enduring success of "This Land Is Your Land"?

The verse they didn't teach you in school, on Woody's recording:

There was a big high wall there, That tried to stop me
The sign was painted, Said "Private Property"
But on the back side, it didn't say nothing
This land was made for you and me
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Giannid wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 pm
have to rule against it.
Sure, Steinbeck is a key hint. My first thought was Dylan, but with Steinbeck, I figured it was somebody popular before Dylan. So then I thought of Dylan's idol, Woody Guthrie, but all I cold think about was "This Land is Your Land", and didn't think it was song about oppression. Pete Seeger did some protest songs if I recall, and so I went with him. Again, if there had been pre-instructions about first and last names, I would have thought definitely Woody Guthrie because he was Iconic from Steinbeck's era, and had a son, Arlo, who was popular around 1970 (too late for Steinbeck's time) which would have confirmed the pre-clue instructions if there were any. As to Bob Seger, a rock star from the 1970's and 80's, he wouldn't have been a consideration. Plus he spells his name differently from Pete Seeger.
FWIW, Bob Seger is older than Arlo Guthrie, and has been making music at least as long, though it took him longer to become well-known. Both are too recent to be mentioned by Steinbeck. (True, Alice's Restaurant was released about a year before Steinbeck's death, but that's a real stretch.)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:49 pm
Giannid wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 pm
have to rule against it.
FWIW, Bob Seger is older than Arlo Guthrie, and has been making music at least as long, though it took him longer to become well-known. Both are too recent to be mentioned by Steinbeck. (True, Alice's Restaurant was released about a year before Steinbeck's death, but that's a real stretch.)
I came across this song the other week and was knocked out by it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Remember that line about The Eagles in The Big Lebowski? That's how I feel about Bob Seger.
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:54 pm Remember that line about The Eagles in The Big Lebowski? That's how I feel about Bob Seger.

I’ll ask. What line?
brick

Post by brick »

I learned a number of years ago that the original lyrics were, “From California to Staten Island” and there were several unflattering, political verses seldom recorded.

http://www.chimesfreedom.com/2012/06/06 ... dy-at-100/
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

brick wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 pm I’ll ask. What line?
brick

Post by brick »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:41 pm
brick wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 pm I’ll ask. What line?
Thank you, sir. My partner feels much the same way. He watched the entire four hour “History of the Eagles” with me, then turned to me and said, “We didn’t need that band.”