Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:37 am

Darn! While there will be plenty of competition for James in the TOC, having a super champ POTENTIALLY meet the person responsible for defeating him in the finals (I assume they would have kept James and Emma apart!) of a TOC would have been fun.

When Emma made the $6,000 wager, it sounded impressive - going for the lead from well behind. Some refuse to do that - in retrospect, however, she should have put more on the line, but it ultimately would not have mattered.

That said, it is just the way the game is normally played - tough to begrudge anyone for playing the game the way it was played (with a few exceptions) for the past 35 years.

Alex jinxed the super champions. We now won’t have one until Season 38.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6184
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 am

gnash wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:28 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm
I liked Emma and was rooting for her to make the ToC, but I liked all three contestants in this exciting game and would have been OK with any of them winning.

Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
Emma got away with "Asterisk" and "moody disorder", which both should have been negged.
I thought she was separating final D from initial D, so that the end of "mood" would be clearly heard.

Jaksiel
Valued Contributor
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Jaksiel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:00 am

I thought the GEICO clue was kind of gross. It was pretty much the same as one of the 'fake' GEICO clues they do in the last commercial break.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm
floridagator wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Another retail miss for me, as I've never been to Williams Sonoma and don't know what they sell.
That's because there aren't any Williams-Sonoma stores in dead malls. A high-end cookware place is going to be one of the first to close when a mall starts going downhill. When my Williams-Sonoma gets replaced by a locally owned comic book and trading card store, I know the hammer will soon be tracking that mall.
Hey, now, I have been to high-end malls too. I just don't go in the stores because I won't be able to afford anything they sell. They'd probably turn me down at the door for wearing a Rick and Morty shirt.

And dead malls that USED to be high-end. Look up Forest Fair Village sometime.
Go in the next day dressed up all nice and Pretty Woman those salespeople.

Pretty Woman is a Julia Roberts movie, you should watch it to understand the context.
Won some of Ben Stein's money, some of Roger Lodge's, some of Chris Harrison's. None of Alex Trebek's.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6545
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am

Category 13 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: I wonder if a calmer Emma, one who had bet at least $201 more on DD3, might have worked her way to the right response. This is a tough loss for someone who could have gone a lot farther.
I think she might have if she had written it down left-handed.
The whole left-handed crossword thing was counterintuitive to me -- when I do crosswords, I try to go as fast as possible, but do double check to maintain accuracy. In fact, at crossword tournaments, they give lefties an additional set of clues so we're not covering them up when we write in the grid. So it's definitely a disadvantage for a lefty when doing a crossword by hand.

Well done, Emma. A great, albeit abbreviated, run. I hope it was everything you were hoping for.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am

Giannid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pm
I thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
The existence of Bob Seger complicates this line of reasoning. Steinbeck is a far stronger hint.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 am
gnash wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:28 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm
I liked Emma and was rooting for her to make the ToC, but I liked all three contestants in this exciting game and would have been OK with any of them winning.

Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
Emma got away with "Asterisk" and "moody disorder", which both should have been negged.
I thought she was separating final D from initial D, so that the end of "mood" would be clearly heard.
My wife and I both heard "moody". Alex used to prompt "say it again" when something was unclear as in your description. I suspect his hearing has deteriorated with age and he now has to rely on judges.

There was no reason to even say the word "disorders".

User avatar
squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm
floridagator wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Another retail miss for me, as I've never been to Williams Sonoma and don't know what they sell.
That's because there aren't any Williams-Sonoma stores in dead malls. A high-end cookware place is going to be one of the first to close when a mall starts going downhill. When my Williams-Sonoma gets replaced by a locally owned comic book and trading card store, I know the hammer will soon be tracking that mall.
Hey, now, I have been to high-end malls too. I just don't go in the stores because I won't be able to afford anything they sell. They'd probably turn me down at the door for wearing a Rick and Morty shirt.

And dead malls that USED to be high-end. Look up Forest Fair Village sometime.
Go in the next day dressed up all nice and Pretty Woman those salespeople.

Pretty Woman is a Julia Roberts movie, you should watch it to understand the context.
And please watch far enough into the movie not to get picked up by the vice squad.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 am

alietr wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am
Well done, Emma. A great, albeit abbreviated, run. I hope it was everything you were hoping for.
I'll bet you any amount that Emma's response would be "no". Of course such a knowledgeable and well-prepared contestant had to have been hoping to qualify for the TOC. I am sure she's also rational and knows that her run was very successful and beat the odds. But she had to have been hoping for more. In fact, other than Brad Rutter - and Ken Jennings before his run began - it's hard to think of any contestant for whom I would say for sure they weren't hoping for more than they achieved.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6646
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:19 am

I hear what people are hearing as the y in moody. But it comes across very clearly to me as an enunciated terminal d. It's so clear to me that, if the clue had been looking for "moody", I think they'd have to neg her.


User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am

gnash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am
Giannid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pm
I thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
The existence of Bob Seger complicates this line of reasoning. Steinbeck is a far stronger hint.
Not if you know the two spell their names differently, though.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6646
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am
gnash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am
Giannid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pm
I thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
The existence of Bob Seger complicates this line of reasoning. Steinbeck is a far stronger hint.
Not if you know the two spell their names differently, though.
Doesn't matter. If Bob Seger didn't exist, "Who is Seger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Pete Seeger. If Pete Seeger didn't exist, "Who is Seeger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Bob Seger. So if this clue had been looking for Pete Seeger, "Who is Seeger?" wouldn't have been enough. Because of Bob. But "Who is Pete Seger?" would have been fine. Hence, Gnash's point. A pre-FJ instruction to use a full name (or at least include a first initial) might not be enough to eliminate P. Seeger and steer one toward W. Guthrie.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:59 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am
gnash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am
Giannid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pm
I thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
The existence of Bob Seger complicates this line of reasoning. Steinbeck is a far stronger hint.
Not if you know the two spell their names differently, though.
Doesn't matter. If Bob Seger didn't exist, "Who is Seger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Pete Seeger. If Pete Seeger didn't exist, "Who is Seeger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Bob Seger. So if this clue had been looking for Pete Seeger, "Who is Seeger?" wouldn't have been enough. Because of Bob. But "Who is Pete Seger?" would have been fine.
I think you're wrong about that. Of course "who is Seeger" would be acceptable for Pete Seeger. I don't think special instructions would have been needed if the correct response had been either Seger or Seeger. I just can't imagine "ooh, sorry, we can't take just Seeger because you could be misspelling Seger" happening.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Missed this episode (thanks again, KABC and NBA), so only read FJ here. I was way out in the weeds. I never heard the quote from Steinbeck, so couldn't solve it directly. The best I could do was tie in to the beginnings of the civil rights movement in the 50s. (Which, in hindsight, is the right general direction.) I didn't think Steinbeck was alive in the 60's, so that's a fail on my part. I was going down the track of Black musicians, which had me thinking of Otis Redding and BB King. Picked BB, since I was sure he played guitar. But I was too far down the Jazz rabbit hole and not enough on the Folk (and potentially not-black) side of things.

That Oklahoma connection between Steinbeck and Woody makes no sense to me. (Sorry for sounding like TPH here.) Yes, Woodie is from there and Steinbeck wrote some obscure novel :P about people from Oklahoma. But that's a pretty darn low TOM, if you ask me.
--Peter

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8067
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 am
Doesn't matter. If Bob Seger didn't exist, "Who is Seger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Pete Seeger. If Pete Seeger didn't exist, "Who is Seeger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Bob Seger. So if this clue had been looking for Pete Seeger, "Who is Seeger?" wouldn't have been enough. Because of Bob. But "Who is Pete Seger?" would have been fine. Hence, Gnash's point. A pre-FJ instruction to use a full name (or at least include a first initial) might not be enough to eliminate P. Seeger and steer one toward W. Guthrie.
I'm with Kirk here. They do exist, so you can't just ignore them. If the clue was looking for Pete Seeger, "Who is Seeger?" MUST be acceptable That's his last name. The fact that Bob Seger pronounces his name similarly is irrelevant.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 am
Doesn't matter. If Bob Seger didn't exist, "Who is Seger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Pete Seeger. If Pete Seeger didn't exist, "Who is Seeger?" would be a completely acceptable response for Bob Seger. So if this clue had been looking for Pete Seeger, "Who is Seeger?" wouldn't have been enough. Because of Bob. But "Who is Pete Seger?" would have been fine. Hence, Gnash's point. A pre-FJ instruction to use a full name (or at least include a first initial) might not be enough to eliminate P. Seeger and steer one toward W. Guthrie.
I'm with Kirk here. They do exist, so you can't just ignore them. If the clue was looking for Pete Seeger, "Who is Seeger?" MUST be acceptable That's his last name. The fact that Bob Seger pronounces his name similarly is irrelevant.
You are both missing the point Opus and I were making. The assumption is that special instructions were given. (I can bet on the exact wording on the instructions: "Be very specific!") Therefore, neither Seeger nor Seger would be acceptable for Pete Seeger. (Without such instructions, clearly both would be.) And the question that started this subthread was whether the special instruction helped choose Guthrie over Seeger. It did not.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm

gnash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 pm
And the question that started this subthread was whether the special instruction helped choose Guthrie over Seeger. It did not.
Well, I think it did. They wouldn't have needed to give special instructions had the actual correct response been Seeger, a name that is spelled differently than Seger.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm
floridagator wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Another retail miss for me, as I've never been to Williams Sonoma and don't know what they sell.
That's because there aren't any Williams-Sonoma stores in dead malls. A high-end cookware place is going to be one of the first to close when a mall starts going downhill. When my Williams-Sonoma gets replaced by a locally owned comic book and trading card store, I know the hammer will soon be tracking that mall.
Hey, now, I have been to high-end malls too. I just don't go in the stores because I won't be able to afford anything they sell. They'd probably turn me down at the door for wearing a Rick and Morty shirt.

And dead malls that USED to be high-end. Look up Forest Fair Village sometime.
Go in the next day dressed up all nice and Pretty Woman those salespeople.

Pretty Woman is a Julia Roberts movie, you should watch it to understand the context.
Film. A Julia Roberts film.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:53 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:19 am
I hear what people are hearing as the y in moody. But it comes across very clearly to me as an enunciated terminal d. It's so clear to me that, if the clue had been looking for "moody", I think they'd have to neg her.

I hear the same thing as this learned penguin.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:59 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm
gnash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 pm
And the question that started this subthread was whether the special instruction helped choose Guthrie over Seeger. It did not.
Well, I think it did. They wouldn't have needed to give special instructions had the actual correct response been Seeger, a name that is spelled differently than Seger.
You can't be ruled wrong for misspelling that can reasonably be pronounced as the correct answer, let alone for one that actually is pronounced the same. Therefore, the fact that Pete Seeger and Bob Seger spell their last names differently is completely irrelevant.

Post Reply