Messages will return to Final

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Messages will return to Final

Post by Bob78164 »

I know that during James's run TPTB changed the rules to prevent people from using Final to send greetings or messages. The ruling is that any such message will now be considered part of the contestant's response (which likely will make the response incorrect).

There's an easy workaround. Write your message of choice (after writing your correct response, of course), and then cross it out. Sooner or later someone will do this. --Bob
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Messages will return to Final

Post by CasketRomance »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm I know that during James's run TPTB changed the rules to prevent people from using Final to send greetings or messages. The ruling is that any such message will now be considered part of the contestant's response (which likely will make the response incorrect).

There's an easy workaround. Write your message of choice (after writing your correct response, of course), and then cross it out. Sooner or later someone will do this. --Bob
this was mentioned in other threads soon after the ban of messages
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm I know that during James's run TPTB changed the rules to prevent people from using Final to send greetings or messages. The ruling is that any such message will now be considered part of the contestant's response (which likely will make the response incorrect).
What's our source on this?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

That's how I incorporated a shoutout to my entire home state at the time. :D
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm There's an easy workaround. Write your message of choice (after writing your correct response, of course), and then cross it out. Sooner or later someone will do this. --Bob
I'm pretty sure James did that with his Las Vegas Strip Sun Valley, Idaho response.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Giannid wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 am
Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm There's an easy workaround. Write your message of choice (after writing your correct response, of course), and then cross it out. Sooner or later someone will do this. --Bob
I'm pretty sure James did that with his Las Vegas Strip Sun Valley, Idaho response.
I'd consider that more of a joke than a shout-out.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:33 pm

I believe the workaround to the workaround was also mentioned. Edit out the extraneous material in post-production so nobody outside of the studio sees it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeffwolfe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 am

I believe the workaround to the workaround was also mentioned. Edit out the extraneous material in post-production so nobody outside of the studio sees it.
Or edit it out in the booth then and there to not risk Alex commenting on it so that no one but the contestant and the production booth sees it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I'm betting they would not do digital editing, for legal reasons. If they are known to have ever digitally edited anything that a contestant has written in FJ, that might open the door to the possibility of (false) allegations that something has been altered if there's a dispute over what someone has written. If the public thought there was any chance that FJ responses have been edited, there would probably be more online nattering about the show being rigged, and there's too much of that kind of nonsense already.
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:20 amOr edit it out in the booth then and there to not risk Alex commenting on it so that no one but the contestant and the production booth sees it.
While the show needs to keep on moving, I could see that happening. The lights remain dim a while after the 30 seconds expires, and after everything has been verified, the lights go on again. The only problem is that the staff could still modify the actual response, even by accident.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:20 am
jeffwolfe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 am

Or edit it out in the booth then and there to not risk Alex commenting on it so that no one but the contestant and the production booth sees it.
Or contestants edit it out in their heads and just never write it down in the first place because, I don't know, it's really not that hard...? :roll:
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

pinkfreud wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am I'm betting they would not do digital editing, for legal reasons. If they are known to have ever digitally edited anything that a contestant has written in FJ, that might open the door to the possibility of (false) allegations that something has been altered if there's a dispute over what someone has written. If the public thought there was any chance that FJ responses have been edited, there would probably be more online nattering about the show being rigged, and there's too much of that kind of nonsense already.
This, a thousand times this.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

gnash wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 am
pinkfreud wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am I'm betting they would not do digital editing, for legal reasons. If they are known to have ever digitally edited anything that a contestant has written in FJ, that might open the door to the possibility of (false) allegations that something has been altered if there's a dispute over what someone has written. If the public thought there was any chance that FJ responses have been edited, there would probably be more online nattering about the show being rigged, and there's too much of that kind of nonsense already.
This, a thousand times this.
There is no world in which they would throw away the original after editing. They would preserve the original and edit a copy for display/broadcast. I doubt this particular issue would be a serious concern for them. If the case ever made it to trial, they would show the original and copy and there goes the case. I am, however, not a lawyer.

I doubt they would go to the time and expense of setting up in-studio editing, counting on the contestants playing nice with the new rules. Even if they're serious about stamping out shout-outs, they would presumably wait until there was a problem before taking action. Maybe they would edit, maybe they wouldn't bother. But the notion that they're powerless to stop an attempt to circumvent the rules is unpersuasive, considering they control the entire broadcast process and AFAIK contestants sign a legal release.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My FJ response and wager as revealed in my sixth game were written by someone else. I might never have noticed it, except whoever did it respelled "eye" as "aye." I emailed Maggie asking about it, and she called me with an explanation, but she had laryngitis (or something else temporarily screwing up her voice) and spoke quickly and I didn't understand her, and I felt like I just had to be satisfied with the fact that it was explained at all.

(The wide shot after all the reveals showed our screens with our responses as we wrote them. Enrique had a drawing that didn't show up in the reveal.)
Attachments
60D31EB9-669C-4F02-95C5-B08BA7C8E6EA.jpeg
60D31EB9-669C-4F02-95C5-B08BA7C8E6EA.jpeg (16.41 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
goongas

Post by goongas »

If the show is willing to pay me thousands of dollars for doing something I do on a weeknight in a bar for fun, I am going to try and follow their rules as much as I can without being troublesome. I guess I may not be good material for the show, because I would be so worried about getting Final Jeopardy! correct, however easy the clue is, that doing shoutouts would be the furthest thing from my mind.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 pm My FJ response and wager as revealed in my sixth game were written by someone else. I might never have noticed it, except whoever did it respelled "eye" as "aye." I emailed Maggie asking about it, and she called me with an explanation, but she had laryngitis (or something else temporarily screwing up her voice) and spoke quickly and I didn't understand her, and I felt like I just had to be satisfied with the fact that it was explained at all.

(The wide shot after all the reveals showed our screens with our responses as we wrote them. Enrique had a drawing that didn't show up in the reveal.)
Wow, that's bizarre! I wonder if a technical glitch spoiled the reveal overlay and they had to re-create it? It seems relatively unproblematic as your actual screens were also displayed in the end. But still, quite a strange occurrence. And an surprisingly flagrant post-production error.