Friday, June 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Friday, June 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by boson »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am
boson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 pm This Canadian calls it a tough FJ. Regina is a little obscure already for Americans. Victoria as capital of BC, Edmonton as capital of Alberta are very tempting. I got it, but there is no shame in saying either of those.
Do you consider Saskatchewan and specifically Regina as "Western"? That was the part that threw me. I mean, it's definitely in the western HALF. But it seems more central to me. Would they have a clue about "this Western state capital" where the correct response was Denver? Maybe. Anyway, that's how far west Regina (almost) is.

[clues with Denver and western]

I'll try to remember that Saskatchewan is western. That may be the cutoff though, though the paucity of Canada clues makes it hard to tell. Still, no clues call Manitoba or Winnipeg "western" (except for one that locates it in the Western Hemisphere). Similarly, no clues refer to Kansas City--sometimes called the easternmost city of the west--as western.
In casual discussions, Manitoba and West are 'The West', and Ontario and East are 'The East'. This likely is due more to history than just geography. No one speaks of 'the midwest' when discussing Canada. It would be completely understandable in Canada to include Manitoba when discussing 'Western provinces'.

Often we break the regions down by:
* Newfoundland & Labrador and the Maritimes
* Quebec
* Ontario
* Prairie provinces
* BC
* The Territories

(Sorry for the quote gore. This editing isn't great on a phone)
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:23 pm I didn't know there was just a "New York Harbor".
I don't blame you for this. It always sounds too generic to me, too.

On another topic, I always have to flip a mental coin on Bren/Sten gun. Fortunately, on this clue, the coin came down right.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Watched the recording of this yesterday. Missed Naked Maja. Not ten minutes after, picked up a book I got for Christmas that I’ve rarely looked at in the past 5 months, opened to a random page, and found this:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:31 pm Watched the recording of this yesterday. Missed Naked Maja. Not ten minutes after, picked up a book I got for Christmas that I’ve rarely looked at in the past 5 months, opened to a random page, and found this:
I did a crossword puzzle on the weekend where there was a clue about The Naked Maja in a section I was having trouble with. Wouldn't have gotten it otherwise had I watched this episode on Friday or Saturday instead of today.

Speaking of crosswords, I went 3/5 in that category (went the wrong way between apse and nave and didn't know the British gun).

Instaget FJ, eh? Thinking of Edmonton did give me pause, though.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was embarrassed to miss this FJ. I spent way too much time thinking "Victoria is in the clue so it can't be Victoria, can it?" Then went to Edmonton, but it didn't feel right. I never thought of Regina for some reason. I was definitely thinking too far west.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am I was embarrassed to miss this FJ. I spent way too much time thinking "Victoria is in the clue so it can't be Victoria, can it?"
This made me curious if the correct answer to Final Jeopardy has ever been contained within the clue (not counting trivial cases such as when the answer is a letter of the alphabet). Well, what a coinkydink... for the second day in a row (see my post in the June 10 game thread) I found exactly one match: Lawrence! :o
Show #3857 - Tuesday, May 15, 2001 wrote: AUTHORS OF THE 1920s

Lawrence Durrell said that in a 1928 novel this man used 4-letter words to canonize & celebrate raw sensuality

Who is (D.H.) Lawrence?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:46 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am I was embarrassed to miss this FJ. I spent way too much time thinking "Victoria is in the clue so it can't be Victoria, can it?"
This made me curious if the correct answer to Final Jeopardy has ever been contained within the clue (not counting trivial cases such as when the answer is a letter of the alphabet). Well, what a coinkydink... for the second day in a row (see my post in the June 10 game thread) I found exactly one match: Lawrence! :o
Show #3857 - Tuesday, May 15, 2001 wrote: AUTHORS OF THE 1920s

Lawrence Durrell said that in a 1928 novel this man used 4-letter words to canonize & celebrate raw sensuality

Who is (D.H.) Lawrence?
I think the funniest part is that it was still a triple stumper.