Quick Rules Q

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Quick Rules Q

Post by jlgarfield »

I've watched the show for many years, and I have a quick rules Q, and sorry if it may sound dumb: If there is a three-way tie at the start of Double Jeopardy!, then who gets to go first? The player closest to Alex, or do they draw numbers (I know that historically, for a two-way tie at the start of DJ!, a coin toss during the second break would be done to determine who made the first selection of the second round.)?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Quick Rules Q

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jlgarfield wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:50 am I've watched the show for many years, and I have a quick rules Q, and sorry if it may sound dumb: If there is a three-way tie at the start of Double Jeopardy!, then who gets to go first? The player closest to Alex, or do they draw numbers (I know that historically, for a two-way tie at the start of DJ!, a coin toss during the second break would be done to determine who made the first selection of the second round.)?
A coin toss? That's news to me.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that if there's a tie for third going into DJ!, it's the champion that selects first if they are a part of it. Otherwise I would guess it's whoever's behind the second podium.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

viewtopic.php?p=267888#p267888
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:13 pm
Vowela wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 pm How is a tie broken for who goes first in Double Jeopardy! when there's a tie?
Closest contestant to Alex.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Rock/Paper/Scissors.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I would think it would be the same tie-breaker rule as used to determine who gets $1000 and who gets $2000 if they tie before and after the final.

I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I think it's something like whoever gave the most recent correct answer is considered to be ahead (or maybe it's behind).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 pm I would think it would be the same tie-breaker rule as used to determine who gets $1000 and who gets $2000 if they tie before and after the final.

I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I think it's something like whoever gave the most recent correct answer is considered to be ahead (or maybe it's behind).
That is not the case.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

jlgarfield wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:50 am I've watched the show for many years, and I have a quick rules Q, and sorry if it may sound dumb: If there is a three-way tie at the start of Double Jeopardy!, then who gets to go first? The player closest to Alex, or do they draw numbers (I know that historically, for a two-way tie at the start of DJ!, a coin toss during the second break would be done to determine who made the first selection of the second round.)?
The Returning Champion gets to go first if they are one of the players tied. If just the two challengers are tied for second, then the person in the middle lectern selects first.
Douglas Squasoni
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5234 - This early episode used a coin toss to determine who made the first selection of the DJ! round.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jlgarfield wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:49 pm http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5234 - This early episode used a coin toss to determine who made the first selection of the DJ! round.
That is one heck of a memory you've got there. I'm quite certain though, 35 years along, they no longer do that.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 pm I would think it would be the same tie-breaker rule as used to determine who gets $1000 and who gets $2000 if they tie before and after the final.

That is not the case.
what is the case?
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:35 pm

That is not the case.
what is the case?
Hasn't this already been asked and answered upthread?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:38 pm

That is not the case.
what is the case?
not confirmed. and if someone is going to state something is incorrect, common decency would dictate said person show what is correct. however, that seems to be less and less a thing on this forum
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:42 pm

That is not the case.
what is the case?
not confirmed. and if someone is going to state something is incorrect, common decency would dictate said person show what is correct. however, that seems to be less and less a thing on this forum
Fair enough. In a similar fashion, "I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I think it's something like" isn't a citation either. To the helpfulness of "whoever gave the most recent correct answer is considered to be ahead (or maybe it's behind)." we shall not speak.
Golf

Post by Golf »

That is not the case.
what is the case?
So OQ's statement isn't good enough for you? How would you like this confirmed? If OQ states it again would that be enough confirmation? What about if Andy states it? You probably wouldn't take Alex Trebek's word seeing as how he's merely the host and does not write the rules.

Please give a list of people whose word you would take on this and we'll do our best to appease you.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3861

https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?t=608
(Alex: As we get ready for the Double Jeopardy! round, we have good news and bad news for Sarah. During the break, our researchers discovered that in some of the newer legal textbooks, "exclusionary" is a word that would satisfy the clue we presented awhile ago. So, you're picking up $2000 with puts you into a tie with Beau, but which means he gets to pick first in Double Jeopardy.)
Sarah gave the last correct response in the J! round, but Beau (at the first podium) got to start the DJ! round after Sarah's score was bumped up to a tie.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:28 pm

That is not the case.
what is the case?
So OQ's statement isn't good enough for you? How would you like this confirmed? If OQ states it again would that be enough confirmation? What about if Andy states it? You probably wouldn't take Alex Trebek's word seeing as how he's merely the host and does not write the rules.

Please give a list of people whose word you would take on this and we'll do our best to appease you.
someone who's actually read the rules would be fine, although from past experience, reading of rules and quoting them means nothing to you

did not see OQ's response, only LSV
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

There are no rules that anyone could read. Jesus Christ Wayne are you just willfully ignorant and trying to annoy everyone?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:45 pm There are no rules that anyone could read. Jesus Christ Wayne are you just willfully ignorant and trying to annoy everyone?
Are you really ignorant of the paperwork everyone who goes on the show receives, or just being a moron?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:47 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:45 pm There are no rules that anyone could read. Jesus Christ Wayne are you just willfully ignorant and trying to annoy everyone?
Are you really ignorant of the paperwork everyone who goes on the show receives, or just being a moron?
Me, I'm just being a myron. Tell me more about these rules everyone who goes on the show receives.