FJs for the 6/3/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/3/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:48 pm

The line "a great reckoning in a little room" in "As You Like It" is usually taken to refer to this author's premature death
56%
This European country is still an hour ahead of GMT, a move made in 1940 to be on the same time as Nazi Germany
27%
This discovery of November 8, 1895 by a German physicist represents a letter in the NATO phonetic alphabet
72%
Steinbeck called him "just a voice and a guitar" but said his songs embodied "the will of a people to endure and fight against oppression"
73%
City Hall in this Western provincial capital is on Victoria Avenue near the corner of Albert Street
40%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
6%
POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY $400: Paternalism is restricting freedom in our (supposed) best interests, like state taxes on these, which began in Iowa in 1921
29%
SOVIETS NOT BORN IN RUSSIA: This Ukranian-born composer created "Peter and the Wolf"
60%
IF THEY MARRIED... $1600: Becky from the novel "Vanity Fair" marries "Sideways" director Alexander & hyphenates to get this last name
18%
Before watching the Monday game I knew James was not going to win.
75%
I did not know Kit went with Christopher Marlowe.
51%
France was my response for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
23%
Pete Seeger or Arlo Guthrie was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
7%
Edmonton was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
20%
Vancouver or Calgary was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
25%

Total votes: 106

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/3/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE'S TIME

6/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The line "a great reckoning in a little room" in "As You Like It" is usually taken to refer to this author's premature death

6/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD TIME ZONES

6/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This European country is still an hour ahead of GMT, a move made in 1940 to be on the same time as Nazi Germany

6/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NATO PHONETIC ALPHABET

6/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This discovery of November 8, 1895 by a German physicist represents a letter in the NATO phonetic alphabet

6/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN MUSIC LEGENDS

6/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Steinbeck called him "just a voice and a guitar" but said his songs embodied "the will of a people to endure and fight against oppression"

6/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CANADIAN CITIES

6/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
City Hall in this Western provincial capital is on Victoria Avenue near the corner of Albert Street

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Christopher Marlowe
Spain
X-rays
Woody Guthrie
Regina
The players were 8/14 (57.14%) with a 3-1-1-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper, one the players had correct and a not-publicly requested triple stumper. (Lucario: The request came in before your post, sorry.)

POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY $400: Paternalism is restricting freedom in our (supposed) best interests, like state taxes on these, which began in Iowa in 1921

SOVIETS NOT BORN IN RUSSIA: This Ukranian-born composer created "Peter and the Wolf"

IF THEY MARRIED... $1600: Becky from the novel "Vanity Fair" marries "Sideways" director Alexander & hyphenates to get this last name

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
cigarettes
Prokofiev
Becky Sharp-Payne
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/3/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No clue on cigarettes.

I knew James would lose after I saw links to media articles and the screen grab of final scores though I was in the dark until the night of June 2nd.

Prior to the first J! promo airing in March I knew nothing about the next big champ coming or I would not have started that thread with the 12 pics of the players shown. When putting it together I did not recognize James as the guy from The Chase and 500 Questions.

Prior to the second J! promo airing I had no knowledge that James would win $110,000+ in one game or get over $2M in winnings.

Kit for Christopher Marlowe is not something I knew.
Italy instead of Spain
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

Need to brush up on my directors.
Douglas Squasoni
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I was not spoiled for Monday's game. I don't do any form of "social media", and purposely stayed away from the "breach of confidentiality" thread. The mere existence of that thread was not enough to make me suspect any one day was more likely than another to be James's last.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

1/5 for FJ (just Wednesday) is my worst week in a looooong time. Like, I don't even usually do that bad during super-tourneys.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Spoiled on Monday's outcome

Checked the box for not knowing 'Kit' goes with 'Marlowe' but only because I'd never considered it. When I saw it written out, it made sense.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
Embarrassing. shoulda got this easily.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:
Another celebrity WGAS category.
Spoilered on James's loss. I had to work late & wouldn't catch it airing anyway, so no big deal.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No idea on the tax question

Spoiled on James’ loss by online news headlines Monday implying it was going to happen

Knew Kit and Christopher
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Goose egg.

I was not spoiled.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: ;)

Kit Marlowe was the obvious guess and I had it from the couch in the same form James did. Went with Italy on Tuesday and regretted not making it France as the music expired. Wrong either way. Thought of Uranium as did one of the contestants but knew it wasn't part of the phonetic alphabet. X-Ray came to me in a flash which is good. I'm really bad at going through lists in my head while the clock is ticking. Had Steinbeck + protest folk singer -> Oklahoma -> Woody Guthrie almost as soon as the clue appeared on my screen. Went with Victoria because it's the capital of the westernmost province. This is where that going through lists thing bit me. The ticking music frazzled me and I couldn't make myself think through the capitals of Alberta and Saskatchewan in an orderly manner. For some reason, I skipped them and went to Winnipeg which I rejected. I knew Vacouver and Calgary weren't capitals, so they weren't distractors.

I'm not sure if I would've gotten the cigarettes clue on another day. For this game I had stopped playing and was just watching in awe. Even though I suspected this was the game where James lost (because of indiscreet comments by boardies who should just keep their mouths shut), I didn't know. By the end of DJ, when this clue appeared, I barely registered the clue itself because I was so wrapped up in the score.

I'm a classical buff so knowing the composer of Peter and the Wolf is a gimme.

On Vanity Fair's Becky, I started with Becky Thatcher. Maybe Vanity Fair -> Thackeray -> sounds like Thatcher? Maybe just famous Becky in a novel. I knew that was the Tom Sawyer girl, fished around and found Becky Sharp in the memory banks but by then it was way too late to try to think of the Sideways director. I doubt I'd have come up with Payne anyway.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:( :( :(

I was spoiled for both Monday's FJ and for the cigarette one at the same time, and I don't know for sure if I would have gotten either unhelped so I'm just counting myself wrong for both. Tuesday I went the wrong way and said Poland.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

No way I could have gotten to "sin tax" even with extra time. I think that's the correct syntax for the phrase.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bacon (lost coinflip between him and Marlowe), France (considered Spain and should have stuck with it), Arlo Guthrie (I knew it was the elder Guthrie, I just can never keep their names straight), and Edmonton (I don't think of Saskatchewan as "western," although looking at a map I clearly should). Thankfully a clue involving the NATO alphabet and Wilhelm Röntgen was an instaget, saving me from the box of shame and a seven-in-a-row FJ slide.

Knew James would lose on Monday before watching.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Still not really sure who Jane Pauley is
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
I feel like this was the first week in a long time with normal difficulty level on the FJs...which is why I'm not surprised my downfall was the 2 geography-related clues...I said Italy and, because I couldn't remember much of anything about Western Canada, Vancouver... :oops:
The extra time with the neg allowed me to come to cigarettes, but it's not a great clue...Other days, I would have remembered Prokofiev and Payne...
I read the spoilers here about James...I really only cared about how he lost, not the fact of it. Is it wrong to admit I looked forward more to the game because I knew... :?:
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I’m not sure if spoiled is the right word. Prior to most of the games, I looked at the thread hoping that would be the day it ended.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Regina just didn't come to me. Sorry, Canada. Ever since "Owls in the Family" I can only ever think of Saskatoon, though I know it isn't the capital.

I guessed that "to be in the same time zone as Nazi Germany" suggested a country that wasn't actually conquered, because that would have been too unsubtle. i also guess maybe that Spain hasn't switched back because they haven't wanted to admit why they switched in the first place. Though that's something that occurred to me only now. I also wonder if Spain actually declared such a reason for the switch back in 1940.

I was spoiled for Monday only that afternoon, by a Facebook dummy. Had I avoided him, the "James H's last game" title on that youtube vid would likely have done it. I haven't watched the show in a regular way in a while.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ilcap wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:56 pm Still not really sure who Jane Pauley is
I once had a chance to chat with Garry Trudeau, and while we were talking, he got a call from his wife, Jane Pauley (who at that time was one of the hosts of the Today show). I thought that was really cool. And no, I didn't listen in on the call.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Kit Marlowe - I just said “Marlowe” but knew Kit was a common nickname.
Spent about ten seconds visualizing European geography, checked myself with Franco, yup - Spain.
I use the NATO alphabet regularly, took about a second to come up with x-ray.
Steinbeck -> Grapes of wrath -> Dust Bowl -> Okies -> Woody Guthrie, about five seconds think time.
No chance on the Canadian provincial capital.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

No hope on Monday.
Guessed Italy on the time zone, assuming Earth's rotation doesn't really apply to Italians.
Worked from the physics, not the alphabet and picked Roentgen and the X-ray, but considered Gamma ray but know that the code word is "Golf".
Couldn't see Dylan overlapping with Steinbeck so Woody it is.
I would cry negbait for the "Albert" street equals Alberta but I wouldn't have got it from "Name the capital of Saskatchewan".
Didn't know the extra clues.
I was pseudo-spoiled by the non-disclosure thread here, but I actually might have skipped the game if I hadn't known it could be the day.
I was also spoiled on another thread by some insecure cretin about the last Avengers movie ending and GOT (which I don't watch, but I expect more class from boardies, and the other jokes were more considerate).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.