Fun with GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Fun with GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show" [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The premiere episode had Ken Jennings, Muffy Marracco and Ryan Chaffee as the experts.

The game is very friendly for Joe & Jane America with multiple choices questions, relaxed pace and large font size.

The material was in all but a few questions not very challenging which is fine. Best of all it is trivia and not that kind of opinion stuff or facts from strange sources.

Three players lock in their answers and get points for being right. One expert plays each round and answers as well with some kind of electronic pad device. If the expert misses any contestant also correct gets double points.

50 or 100 in Rd. 1 and 100 or 200 in Rd. 2
Fine by me that low player is not eliminated at this point and all three go to the next round.

In round 3 the players can answer on their own for the full 400 points or they can default to the expert's answer for 200 if the hot shot is correct.

High score after round 3 wins $1000 and goes to the bonus round to try to win $10,000. It's five questions like soccer PKs with both contestant and expert locking in answers. If after five questions the contestant is ahead then that is $10,000. If tied there is one final question to try to win.

If a contestant can win the ten thousand three times then that person will be an expert on a later show. Cool and hope it happens.

The expert who plays the bonus round was chosen by which of the three did the best in the previous round as even if not in the hot seat facing the contestants the other two still lock in answers from their seats. The two experts who do not play in Rd. 1 or 2 also get a chance after the round to throw out a one-liner about how they did.

Ad lib or scripted? It was corny either way although I'm hopeful it was off the tops of their heads.

Today's winning contestant:
Spoiler
Sara Anne tied Ryan at 2-2 in the bonus round and then missed this 3rd question:

In poker, which of these hands is ranked the highest?

Straight
Flush
Full House

Ryan knew full house while Sara Anne (I think it was her only miss of the entire show?) had flush. :cry:
It's a game show with trivia faces and familiar faces. I'll watch.

If anyone else watches and recognizes a player from first names only for a prior J! appearance then let me know and I will give them a line in their bios.

Robert: For the experts do you want them to have a line in their J! bios? If so, provide acceptable wording. Thanks
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Fun with GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show" [Spoilers]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I started a thread too, but yours is better, so I deleted it. Here was my post:

GSN's Best Ever Trivia Show debuted this afternoon with Ken Jennings, Muffy Marracco, and Ryan Chaffee (J! alums all) as the experts.

The game is played in 3 rounds, each with a different category and a different expert. I won't go too deep into the rules, (this post has 'em along with a full recap), but it's a nice general knowledge show. I think I only missed one (didn't know what a natatorium was), and that was in the final round, with one guess that turned out right.

Interestingly, the game has carry-over champs. You could win the $10,000 prize at the end of the show three times. Win three times and you get a chance to come back on a later episode as an expert. That's a nice wrinkle. Not sure if you have to beat the expert in the final round three times, or just get there three times. Champ Sara Anne was a strong player, who also only missed 1 I think.

Airs 3pm here in Soo Foo, with J! at 3:30, makes a nice block. Worth pestering my cable company for.

Oh, and Sherri Shepherd was just fine as host.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

thank you for the generous reviews, MarkBarrett and MinnesotaMyron! :D

i can confirm that our one-liners were 100% ad-libbed and not scripted--for better or for worse!

a contestant must win three games *and* defeat an expert in the final round of each of those games to win a spot as a new expert.

after the game, ken told sara anne that she should audition for jeopardy, at which point she informed him that she had been on both trebek-era jeopardy *and* fleming-era jeopardy: http://www.fox-editswork.com/

i agree that sherri shepherd is an excellent host!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

not a fan of the poker question...there is a variant of poker where a flush is ranked higher than a full house...it is called short deck...the 2s,3s,4s, and 5s are removed and the game is played with a 36 card deck and played the same as holdem except for a flush is higher than a full house...would have gone with...would have added "in most poker variants"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

thank you for the insight and rules clarification, mrbungle. anytime you can provide extra information about contestants with a j! background that will be helpful. yes, sara anne had j! material written all over her with how well she played today.

I added a line on Saran's page: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4150

after checking the tape and determining it had to be her:

I do not know if the J! bio line should include that she played as "Sara Anne" on the new show?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

For those who didn't notice, they played James Holzhauer's Chase episode immediately before the premiere.

Started off with a perfect game today. Bank of Italy, Kellogg Brothers, and Full House with choices, the rest without.

I am very glad this show is everyday rather than once a week. :D
Douglas Squasoni
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm anytime you can provide extra information about contestants with a j! background that will be helpful.
there will be more.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm yes, sara anne had j! material written all over her with how well she played today.
agreed.
LucarioSnooperVixey

mrbungle wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm anytime you can provide extra information about contestants with a j! background that will be helpful.
there will be more.
:D :D :D
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Well this is funny. Just going through games in the archive.

How odd $800: www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4108
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:10 pm Well this is funny. Just going through games in the archive.

How odd $800: www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4108
This was a question when I went to a Who Wants to Be A Millionaire taping in New York (Meredith/shuffle era).
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi all - yes, I'm still around, although I don t post much... I did want to see if there were any discussion here about this.

I see a contestant on the show posted a reply here and I want to make clear I' m NOT knocking them. I can now watch GSN, and wanted to see this. However, I was very disappointed. I thought the format itself was - well, the best word I can come up with is LAME. Relatively few questions were done, and I thought it was just a waste of time having to compare answers of the contestants and the experts. So I thought the pacing and all was very poor. My own feeling is the experts didn't add anything to the show and I'd rather see a format concentrating much more on the contestants and with better pacing to cover more questions.

I won't be watching again.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

another jeopardy alum on today's episode:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1816
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mrbungle wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm another jeopardy alum on today's episode:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1816
Yes, nice guy, as I played pub trivia on a team with William.

Arianna Haut: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5911
and Raj Dhuwalia: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1974

made their debuts as experts

For the final round:
Spoiler
Arianna was the expert to face the contestant as she bested Ken and Raj over the course of the first three rounds. In trivia. With multiple choice. [Applause]
LucarioSnooperVixey

Today's episode I thought was a bit tougher than yesterday's. There were a bunch of trick questions there. I played like an Egghead to get through those questions.

I did miss the third question in the final though, as I was positive there were trillions of neurons in the human body but wasn't too confident because I wasn't sure how many neurons were in a nerve cell.

Tough break for William Lee in Round 3. The 1970's aren't really my cup of tea. I guessed Floppy Disk, seemed too early for the other two. The Cardigan Sweater speech sounded vaguely familiar so I went with that.

Knew the final question in the final round because the exact same question is in the AP Knowledge topic in QuizUp. Except the question is asked in reverse. "If you gather a sample of X people, there is a 50% chance that 2 of them will have the same birthday. What is X?" Answer: 23
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 pm

F. Y. I., you don't have Raj's appearance on "Who's Still Standing?" like you do on Ryan Chaffee's page. Raj appeared on the show in December 2011.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Got around to watching the first two shows. I have to say that if I didn't know people on the show, I probably wouldn't continue watching. I agree, the pace is a bit too slow. I think if you're going up against experts, the quality of the contestants has to be higher as well. And winning $5k on WWTBAM makes someone a trivia expert? Hmmm. I think I missed two yesterday, and only one today.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:21 pm Knew the final question in the final round because the exact same question is in the AP Knowledge topic in QuizUp. Except the question is asked in reverse. "If you gather a sample of X people, there is a 50% chance that 2 of them will have the same birthday. What is X?" Answer: 23
That's an old statistics class chestnut.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:21 pm Knew the final question in the final round because the exact same question is in the AP Knowledge topic in QuizUp. Except the question is asked in reverse. "If you gather a sample of X people, there is a 50% chance that 2 of them will have the same birthday. What is X?" Answer: 23
That's an old statistics class chestnut.
And also an easy-to-win bar bet.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm

F. Y. I., you don't have Raj's appearance on "Who's Still Standing?" like you do on Ryan Chaffee's page. Raj appeared on the show in December 2011.
I've added a line for Raj with 2011-12 as I don't know which date he appeared. If he won any money let me know as I gave him a $0.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm

I've added a line for Raj with 2011-12 as I don't know which date he appeared. If he won any money let me know as I gave him a $0.
2011-12-20, which was harder for me to google today than it was yesterday, for some reason. The 0 is correct. I blame the format. See for yourself: