Tuesday, June 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 pm Hats off to Dan for his DD3 wager, but might it have better for him to make it a true daily double? He would have had $25,200 vs. $20,000 and $5000. With the standard $14,800 bet, he would be well positioned in a TS against anything but an all-in bet from third (or if she left $200 or less).
of course it would have been better going all in...but these people are so afraid of not being around for final jeopardy...which makes 0 sense...they miss the medium wager and they can't win anyway...do they really care about the difference between the prizes for 2nd and 3rd place? i know i wouldn't...after tax those 2 paltry sums are even worse...no sense not going all in, but the general contestant on the show has yet to figure it out
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:57 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 pm Hats off to Dan for his DD3 wager, but might it have better for him to make it a true daily double? He would have had $25,200 vs. $20,000 and $5000. With the standard $14,800 bet, he would be well positioned in a TS against anything but an all-in bet from third (or if she left $200 or less).
of course it would have been better going all in...but these people are so afraid of not being around for final jeopardy...which makes 0 sense...they miss the medium wager and they can't win anyway...do they really care about the difference between the prizes for 2nd and 3rd place? i know i wouldn't...after tax those 2 paltry sums are even worse...no sense not going all in, but the general contestant on the show has yet to figure it out
I think I'd leave $1 left over just so I could participate in Final. At that point it doesn't make a substantive difference.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:57 pm
I think I'd leave $1 left over just so I could participate in Final. At that point it doesn't make a substantive difference.
i'd rather just get a head start on filling out the paperwork to get the chump change of 1k and head to the bar, if i were out of it
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm "Javier Bardem" sounded Brazilian and not Spanish to me. Not like I know who that is, anyway.
I'd have been tempted to guess "What is a country unsuited for old men?" or something similar.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't think I've posted since my heartbreak at Emma's loss. I wanted her to make Alex forget about King James. I rooted for Martin the school teacher but was conflicted about choosing between him and Dan the forklift driver. We need more real people and fewer attorneys and business professionals. I'm really happy Dan got a big payday, but feel bad for Martin as the game slipped away on a great comeback from Dapper Dan.

This game seemed to have a bimodal difficulty factor. The clues were either kid's week, or so tough I didn't even recognize the answer. Martin cleaned a lot of the latter ones, and clearly outplayed the other two. FJ was the former type, but without the TOM of the Indian looking name, it would have been hopeless for me.

The Norway clue was a great one. It shows how inured we've become to mass shootings that even the most outrageous one of all time (at the time) easily fades out of memory. It's been over a week now that the US flag has been at full staff - time for it to go to the Second Amendment position (as I call half-staff) again soon. It happens way more often than a 5 time champion on J! :cry:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 pm Has anyone ever figured out what percentage of players who are ahead going into FJ bet zero?
Excluding games where the leader has a lock, it's less than 1%. It's actually slightly more common for the leader to bet it all.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm When the clue asked for "this tax prep firm," did anyone else shout out "What is Fed Ex?!?!!?"
I did not say it, but it entered my mind long enough to get beaten to the buzzer...
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 pm dude needs to tune into some texas rangers home games and pay attention when elvis andrus walks to the plate
Not easy to hear walk up music from a broadcast...now, when you're -in- the stadium...
(That was an interesting opening home stretch. Opening Day, "Wait, what is this?" Second day, "I guess he's really doing this." Third day was a singalong...)

And a link: https://deadspin.com/i-guess-were-doing ... 1833662586
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MDaunt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:45 pm
gnash wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am The FJ! clue was an embarrassment for me as I spent the break working off LANDMARKS to never once consider anything outside the U.S. during the several minutes. Fortunately, the reveal of the clue made it easy to switch gears to match the contestants.
Kinda funny, I was thinking how American-centric it is to use a Bengali poet as a hint for the location of a landmark in the western corner of Utar Pradesh.
I was trying to come up with a Bengali landmark and failed (I inherited a book of Tagore's poems from my grandmother). So, this was a clue where ignorance paid off.
I'm sure that holds for almost all of us. I would be hard pressed to come up with another landmark in India. I was just aware that Tagore's geographical, linguistic and religious background are very different from the builders of Taj Mahal. Trying to think of an alternative universe in which a Europe-themed clue mentions Charles Dickens praising the beauty of a certain church and everyone associates St. Peter's Basilica.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm When the clue asked for "this tax prep firm," did anyone else shout out "What is Fed Ex?!?!!?"
I did not say it, but it entered my mind long enough to get beaten to the buzzer...
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 pm dude needs to tune into some texas rangers home games and pay attention when elvis andrus walks to the plate
Not easy to hear walk up music from a broadcast...now, when you're -in- the stadium...
(That was an interesting opening home stretch. Opening Day, "Wait, what is this?" Second day, "I guess he's really doing this." Third day was a singalong...)

And a link: https://deadspin.com/i-guess-were-doing ... 1833662586
baby shark is easy to hear from home watching tv...i can be in the other room and i hear it start playing and i know andrus is up to bat....some songs are just that clear on tv...always hear blackmon's outfield song and when adrian gonzalez played at dodger stadium could always make out el mariachi loco...hunter pence and skip schumaker used to use dirt road anthem and they were plain as day on tv as well....but you are right...for the most part you just don't take notice of walk up music at home watching on tv...but give it a go with baby shark...very noticeable
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 am for the most part you just don't take notice of walk up music at home watching on tv...but give it a go with baby shark...very noticeable
I generally agree. There was one player awhile back who used Sweet Child of Mine; that was pretty obvious though.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Before the tie-break rules were put in place, an acceptable strategy on the final DD would have been to wager just enough to fall to exactly half of the leader and deliberately miss.

Did he make the most optimal wager? No. But no need to bemoan it as he at least went for the lead. Many contestants would have bet enough to make sure they didn’t fall to less than half the leader’s total. But $800 clue in a category like Business? Must go for the lead, and that is what he did. Good job.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am Yikes, Dan's interview. Between himself and the staff person who goes over the chat stories that should not have happened. Dan's 18-month-old likes the opening of J!, the music and Johnny's introduction, but then Alex comes out and the show is just not as good. :o It got a laugh and Alex looked right into the camera saying nothing as he moved on to talk to Martin.
That was pure gold. They chose the right anecdote for Dan's first and potentially only contestant interview. That said, they really need to hire me as an interview coach. When Alex asks why your 18-month-old only likes the first two minutes of Jeopardy!, the correct response is, "After that, the questions get too hard." But that's quibbling. Dan's interview went over perfectly with Alex doing a marvelous job of playing along.
I agree - it was excellent. I'm sure Alex and the producers had no problem at all choosing this one from the potential interview stories Dan had. Besides, with the Baby Shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo categories on the board behind them, what better story to tell than one involving the target audience for the song.
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Ace was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Norway, (Lafayette), Sukarno, Joliet & Marquette, Alpenstock, Melbourne, Stockholm
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:59 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 am for the most part you just don't take notice of walk up music at home watching on tv...but give it a go with baby shark...very noticeable
I generally agree. There was one player awhile back who used Sweet Child of Mine; that was pretty obvious though.
forgot to add careless whisper to the list...when josh reddick used it in oakland it was very noticeable and you knew who was coming up to bat
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 pm Rabindranath is a very obviously Indian name,
The hell it is.
Recognizing any nouns associated with India never goes well.
Neither does hinging a clue entirely on "it sounds like it should be from X". I thought "Javier Bardem" sounded Portuguese but I was wrong on that count. It's literally 100% subjective.
Sorry for the bump; I've been out of the country.

J pronounced as H is a Spanish thing; Portuguese J is more or less the same as in French, a "zh" sound. The "em" ending does seem more likely to be Portuguese than Spanish, but the pronunciation of the first name is a tip-off not to go that way.

I'm not going to argue with you about how, for example, there is a Hindu deity named Jagannath (the origin of "juggernaut")—ending with the same four letters as Tagore's first name—but Tagore is probably the most famous Indian poet and was the first person from Asia to win a Nobel Prize for Literature (or in any category, for that matter). In other words, he's well-known enough that one oughtn't to have needed to do linguistics to his name to know where he was from.

As for why teardrop = Taj Mahal: it was built to house the tomb of an emperor's beloved wife, who had died in childbirth.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Catching up here. It was interesting that Dan was exactly between the other two players when he hit the last DD.

I was lost on FJ and put Taj Mahal down because of the Indian sounding name and was even a little surprised it was right.