FJs for the 6/10/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/10/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:48 pm

The final scene of this play takes place by a grave & includes the line "He had the wrong dreams"
65%
Poet Rabindranath Tagore compared this landmark to a teardrop glistening on the cheek of time
88%
This product that brought virtual tourism into homes in 1939 introduced its first virtual reality device in 2015
62%
This word for a bug or malfunction was popularized in the 1962 book “Into Orbit” by the Mercury astronauts
72%
For the first time, the FDA approved a drug for the treatment of this, though there hadn’t been a new case in 40 years
73%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
23%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
WHAT HAPPENED? $2000: In 1673 these 2 French explorers were disappointed to find that the Mississippi River doesn't flow to the Pacific
40%
COLLEGE TOWNS $800: Let's raise a glass of bubbly to these 2 adjoining cities, home to the University of Illinois
81%
REMEMBER THE 1990S? $400: This magazine was launched in 1995 with a cover showing Cindy Crawford dressed as our first president
56%
I have seen the Taj Mahal in person.
3%
I have looked through at least one version of a View-Master.
91%
I could picture the View-Master for the Wednesday FJ! clue, yet I could not recall the name in time.
15%
SNAFU was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
10%
Polio was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
17%
Coverage of the NBA Finals or U.S. Open golf affected at least one J! airing at the normal time in my area this week.
17%

Total votes: 103

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/10/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY THEATER

6/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The final scene of this play takes place by a grave & includes the line "He had the wrong dreams"

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Poet Rabindranath Tagore compared this landmark to a teardrop glistening on the cheek of time

6/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POPULAR PRODUCTS

6/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This product that brought virtual tourism into homes in 1939 introduced its first virtual reality device in 2015

6/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD HISTORY

6/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a bug or malfunction was popularized in the 1962 book “Into Orbit” by the Mercury astronauts

6/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDICAL NEWS 2018

6/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For the first time, the FDA approved a drug for the treatment of this, though there hadn’t been a new case in 40 years

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Death of a Salesman
Taj Mahal
View-Master
glitch
smallpox
The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 2-3-1-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper, one rebounded correctly and a requested one with a correct response.

WHAT HAPPENED? $2000: In 1673 these 2 French explorers were disappointed to find that the Mississippi River doesn't flow to the Pacific

COLLEGE TOWNS $800: Let's raise a glass of bubbly to these 2 adjoining cities, home to the University of Illinois

REMEMBER THE 1990S? $400: This magazine was launched in 1995 with a cover showing Cindy Crawford dressed as our first president

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Marquette & Joliet
Champaign & Urbana
George
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/10/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I have experience with several View-Master models as well as the projector and Talking View-Master.
NBA moved J! to early a.m. airing.
I blanked on recalling the name of the magazine although I could picture the Crawford cover. All I had to do was use the "first president" hint and I failed to get that far in the clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Second week in a row.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

No guess on the missed ones.

NBA didn't affect me, but on Thursday, WNEM announced a "Better Deals" promo show. It only affected Wheel, but their schedule and DirecTV's both said it was also blocking J!, thus causing the DVR not to pick it up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen:

Tied my FJ streak for the season and with the teen tourney coming up looking forward to some shameless number padding.

Have seen through a View-Master. As recently as two days ago even!
NBA Finals and D-Day coverage messed with my viewing
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've been to the mausoleum built by Shah Jahan.

Not that I needed the help on that clue, but I was born in Urbana while my father was doing grad studies at the U of I.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I ever looked through a View-Master. If I did it would have been a long time ago.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Took about half the music to come up with the Viewmaster name, although the visual of one I had as a kid popped into my head immediately.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :oops:

"Glitch" just didn't come...and I rejected smallpox, though I think I would have come back to it with more time...
View-Master was the closest thing we had to the Internet in my childhood...!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've had a Viewmaster, but I sure wasn't getting there from that clue.
A bit of home cooking for the first two, having grown up in a Mississippi River town in Illinois.
No, I don't miss it. And I remember the George launch and the subsequent crash & burn :twisted:
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry:

Had no clue on Viewmaster, though I did own one as a kid. Went with polio because I just couldn't imagine the utility in putting out a new smallpox drug.

It just so happened that I'd recently read an article on George magazine that was pretty fun; I doubt I'd have gotten that question otherwise.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've read Death of a Salesman several times and seen a stage production of it. I can recite from memory Charley's speech at the end that begins with "Nobody dast blame this man" and ends with "A salesman is got to dream boy, it comes with the territory." I didn't remember the line "He had the wrong dreams" but it fits in with that speech well enough. So famous play that ends at a graveside that the J! writers love asking about. Easy.

Indian poet = Indian landmark = 1 candidate. The Taj Mahal is tear-shaped, more or less, so that helped confirm it. I briefly considered natural landmarks and thought of the Ganges river, but I stuck with the Taj.

I've owned two View-Masters--a grayish taupe one that we had as a family, and a red one that was a Christmas gift to me when I was 9. But I got tangled up in the clue and couldn't make enough sense of it. I realize now that the clue said "virtual tourism INTO homes" but I somehow thought of it as virtual tourism OF homes--like a virtual walkthrough or something. If I'd read the clue correctly, I might have had a chance. There was discussion in the thread that the clue should have referred to "this brand" rather than "this product". I suppose that's more accurate but it wouldn't have helped me any. It might even have made me less likely to get to the right response. In any event, I said Polaroid picture just to have something.

Thought of glitch pretty quickly, which is probably the only way it was going to happen. If I'd started down the wrong path, I'd have just flailed for 30 seconds. Instead I had time to think glitch and then cast about for alternatives. Didn't think of FUBAR but did think of SNAFU. Stuck with glitch.

40 years seemed about right for smallpox. I remember a friend of mine who went with his family to Egypt in 1977. He had to get a smallpox vaccine before they left. (I assume it was just an "abundance of caution" kind of thing.) That was unusual enough that I still remember it.

I checked the box for Marquette and Joliet, but I'm not sure I'd have rung in. They were definitely my guess if forced to guess.

I think I'd have rung in for Champaign and Urbana but maybe not. I'd have had to ring in on faith that my brain was going to cough up the info in time. It did.

Anyone here get George who was born after 1975? 1980? It doesn't seem like something you know unless you were aware of it while it was around.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

Worst week in a long time.

For some reason, thought part of Waiting For Godot took place in a graveyard and never considered another answer.

Saw no way to get to glitch. Considered FUBAR and SNAFU.

50/50 between smallpox and polio Friday and went with polio due to the mention of the FDA.

Owned a Viewmaster as a kid. Have not seen the Taj Mahal.
Last edited by Leander on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:52 pm NBA didn't affect me, but on Thursday, WNEM announced a "Better Deals" promo show. It only affected Wheel, but their schedule and DirecTV's both said it was also blocking J!, thus causing the DVR not to pick it up.
I have my "DVR" (PC with Windows Media Center) set to record Jeopardy! two different ways. One is the normal way where it records any program that identifies itself as Jeopardy! The other way is I have it record WHATEVER is on channel 41.1 from 3:30 to 4:00 p.m. This monopolizes both tuners and almost always results in two identical recordings. But there have been a couple of times where this practice has paid off and my emergency backup recording has allowed me to watch the game even though the programming info was off.

Anyway, I bet your DVR has a "manual" schedule option too. With a little work you could Be Like the Bird™.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 pm Anyone here get George who was born after 1975? 1980? It doesn't seem like something you know unless you were aware of it while it was around.
'81 and got it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Volante wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 pm Anyone here get George who was born after 1975? 1980? It doesn't seem like something you know unless you were aware of it while it was around.
'81 and got it.
'98 and the result was unsurprising.
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :(

Never seen the Taj Mahal in person.
I'm fairly certain I had a View-Master as a kid.
No issues with coveraqge.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Grave scene? Go with the play with "Death" in the name.
Indian sounding named poet and landmark? I only got one guess, and teardrop seems cromulent. (One of my favorite sitcom lines was a zinger about "when you bend over in those orange(?) pants it looks like the sunrise coming over the Taj Mahal".)
I thought of the stereoscope but knew it was older than that, and don't think I've ever looked in the viewmaster, but I've seen them with their circular slide.
WAG'd glitch, knowing the "F" word doesn't really mean "Fouled" for those other contenders.
Not polio - only reason for a drug is for bio-terrorism, and I don't think that polio would be a good terror weapon, as horrible as it is.

I didn't realize that the viewmaster cost me the box of glory until this poll. I couldn't have named it if you showed a picture of it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:cry: :mrgreen: :cry:
First five-for-five on FJ clues in quite a while. Then I batted .333 on the extra clues.

My three favorite ViewMaster shows were a two-disk set showing scenes from Disneyland not long after opening, a two-disk set of the Brussels World's Fair, and a FIVE-disk set with a complete episode of "The Lone Ranger" in 3-D stills. Probably had at least 20 or 25 sets of ViewMaster disks, with an official ViewMaster metal file box (probably a repurposed recipe card with ViewMaster sticker on it) to keep them in. About 10 or 12 years later (I think I was in my mid-teens), ViewMaster came out with a battery-driven self-illuminated model you didn't have to hold up to a light. After remembering all my stiff necks, I had to marvel at the technological ingenuity.

I guess we were easy to please in those days.

"Glitch" came pretty quickly from association with early space program though I wasn't familiar with its origin; I remembered both the Gus Grissom line from "The Right Stuff" along with Tom Hanks saying in "Apollo 13" after a booster cut off early, "I guess we just had our glitch for this mission." It referred to a superstition that every mission had one major problem, and you had to be on your toes until your glitch occurred. Evidently no one up to that point had considered the possibility of a double-glitch.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

345353435433554555445132*3*435425342345435