Wednesday, February 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Re: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by kristinsausville »

jeff6286 wrote:My WAG was Richie Rich, thinking that perhaps he was modeled after a real-life rich little boy who traveled around the world on his parents' millions. I wasn't too confident in it, but I thought it might have a chance at being correct until Alex mentioned that Steven Spielberg had a movie featuring this character out this year. Even then, I couldn't pull Tintin, as I've heard of the movie but not really read anything about it, so I had no idea where the character came from, or what the general idea of the movie was. I now see that it was one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century. Do we have any Europeans here on the board? I wonder if it would be an instaget for those from across the Atlantic?

Richie Rich made his debut in 1953, which surprised me, because I thought it was a lot older than that. The Silver Surfer, Weston's guess, debuted in Marvel Comics in 1966, and Steve Canyon, Tyler's guess, began in 1947. I had never even heard of that last one, but it looks like a pretty decent guess, summarized on Wikipedia as a long-running American adventure comic strip.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who made this particular WAG.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
kgluong
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by kgluong »

I love FJ. This is the player's chance to use their statistic skills and not have to worry about the "cursed" buzzer. Otherwise, the regular categories are mostly favor the player who buzzes-in best as we can see all three of them tried to do that in most if not all the questions/answers. The guys so far have the better buzzing skills than the girls, may be because they play more xbox/nintendo games and they look more relaxed too. :P
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Plus the fact that Alex mentioned the movie in the pre-reveal should lead one to conclude quite easily the movie was out.
...or that the movie would be out by the time it aired. Alex's comments aren't always in real time.
Alex said "This character...prominently featured this year in a Steven Spielberg film." The movie had its world premiere in Brussels on October 22, and came out in North America on December 21. That may mean that the tournament was taped sometime in November or December, since Alex said "this year", but that may mean nothing, as the film was obviously still in theaters after the first of the year. So if the tournament was taped in early January, he could have been speaking of 2012 as "this year", as the character would still be featured in the film "this year" even though it came out last year. Perhaps one of the college contestants we've seen pop up on the board can help us out with the taping dates?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

xxaaaxx wrote:Got FJ. The year didn't help, the bit about the trip around the world didn't ring a bell, but the foreign sounding name got me to Tintin about 20 seconds in. I...don't know if that's how we were meant to solve it :oops:
Finally settled into Tintin about the 22nd second. I initially vascillated between Tintin and Popeye, except (a) the category was comic books, and Popeye came into a comic strip ("Thimple Theater") initially. I also seemed to think his premiere in the comics was a few years before - 1927 maybe? Then I reread the clue, and grabbed onto the "15-year-old" part and ran with Tintin. (Did think briefly of "Terry and the Pirates" - ironically created by "Steve Canyon" creator Milton Caniff -- but knew that was a later strip.)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

jeff6286 wrote:Perhaps one of the college contestants we've seen pop up on the board can help us out with the taping dates?
This article about contestant Sarah Bart says that the tournament taped January 5 and 6.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Fishercat wrote:I had no shot getting Tintin, I went immediately to Super Heroes and well, yeah.

The bets were mindboggling. The leader doesn't bet 2x+1 the next closest player (or even third place), second place doesn't lock out third (and in fact makes it reasonably probable he'd be taken over), and third bets it all in a situation. I have to wonder if the group talked betting strategy before the game and they were trying to outsmart each other.

I really liked the Bartlett-Roget category.
I seem to be in a majority in several respects. The FJ wagers WERE mind-boggling and senseless. I mean, ALL THREE!

And yes, the Roget/Bartlett category was very annoying.

And yes, I had no chance in FJ, never having heard of Tintin. Can someone fill me in???? I WAGGED Little Orphan Annie just because it was better than no answer at all. I thought, "hey, that strip was around a long time ago, and she did link up with the wealthy guardian, who might have enabled her to travel the world...." Maybe a poor line of thinking, but again, never having even heard of Tintin, I was unlikely to come up with it.

And just for good measure, we learn that Weston is trained in public speaking, but still precedes every other statement with "Uh..." To me that's fingernails on the blackboard.

Good on Monica, though, as she advances.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

John Boy wrote:And yes, I had no chance in FJ, never having heard of Tintin. Can someone fill me in????
It's a Spielberg movie? Tintin was an answer in the UTOC finals? There's a hard to find edition where Tintin "visits the cannibals" or "spearchuckers" or something else horribly offensive?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Leah wrote:I do remember thinking, when I saw the category, that this was likely to be one of those times when the category is somewhat misleading, with a question which does not call for detailed knowledge of comic books.
It would actually help to have either an unusually deep knowledge of comic books, or none at all. It would help if you knew that originally Tintin appeared in comic books and was about 14 or 15 years old. In the adventures I read (in hardcover anthologies and serialized in magazines) he was always a young adult who worked as a reporter. (The clue is tricky in that it only says the 15-year-old was an inspiration - not the inspiration. Apparently there were several different inspirations and Huld was only one of them.) On the other hand, if you knew nothing about comic books you could make a reasonable guess based on the movie.

Edit: correction - I now see Tintin appeared originally in a comic strip in newspapers. The first book was published a little after that.
Last edited by Magna on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Magna wrote:
Leah wrote:I do remember thinking, when I saw the category, that this was likely to be one of those times when the category is somewhat misleading, with a question which does not call for detailed knowledge of comic books.
It would actually help to have either an unusually deep knowledge of comic books, or none at all. It would help if you knew that originally Tintin appeared in comic books and was about 14 or 15 years old. In the adventures I read (in hardcover anthologies and serialized in magazines) he was always a young adult who worked as a reporter. (The clue is tricky in that it only says the 15-year-old was an inspiration - not the inspiration. Apparently there were several different inspirations and Huld was only one of them.) On the other hand, if you knew nothing about comic books you could make a reasonable guess based on the movie.
...still doesn't ring a bell....was he any relation to RIN Tin Tin?
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

cheezguyty wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Perhaps one of the college contestants we've seen pop up on the board can help us out with the taping dates?
This article about contestant Sarah Bart says that the tournament taped January 5 and 6.
If these students taped a month after me, why do I still have to wait another 6 weeks for my airdate??!
seaborgium wrote:No luck for me: I see "Comic Books," I think superheroes, and I zero in on "voyage" and say Aquaman.
Me too!

Thank you, alietr, for your excellent moderation.
codehappy
Contributor

Post by codehappy »

For me, anyway, the big TOM on FJ was the date -- 1929 was a decade too early to be the superhero type of comic book, which put me on the right track. Once I started thinking overseas serials it clicked nicely.

Aside from almanac magazine, the FJ! clues for this tournament have seemed pretty fair so far.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

yes, Monica didn't dominate but she won. and fairly. I thought Weston would go all the way, I was wrong..

don't want to quote the original here, but REALLY? "the idiot in the middle"? If you're twelve years old, fine. I see this board isn't heavily moderated. No one playing here is close to an idiot, obviously metaphorically. I don't understand the, to be kind, passion that would drive someone to get that heated about a player who did a fine job.

As for why the wait for one's tape date - It's February - sweeps. Jeopardy! always runs a tournament during sweeps.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BTW, I don't feel like I should edit or remove people's posts unless it's pretty egregious. I feel like my response to Tyrion was adequate and hopefully won't be repeated; If there is a general sentiment that Tyrion's post was that bad, I would certainly be more inclined to take action. Fortunately, this hasn't arisen previously, but you JBoarders are always welcome to voice their opinion.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

alietr wrote:BTW, I don't feel like I should edit or remove people's posts unless it's pretty egregious. I feel like my response to Tyrion was adequate and hopefully won't be repeated; If there is a general sentiment that Tyrion's post was that bad, I would certainly be more inclined to take action. Fortunately, this hasn't arisen previously, but you JBoarders are always welcome to voice their opinion.
I thought your smackdown response was perfect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Plus the fact that Alex mentioned the movie in the pre-reveal should lead one to conclude quite easily the movie was out.
...or that the movie would be out by the time it aired. Alex's comments aren't always in real time.
I know that they're not in realtime, but I don't remember the part you mentioned, so thanks for having a better than memory than mine.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
I know that they're not in realtime, but I don't remember the part you mentioned, so thanks for having a better than memory than mine.
I didn't mention any part. I was just trying to say that Alex's timely comments shouldn't be used to conclude when the show taped.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

seaborgium wrote:No luck for me: I see "Comic Books," I think superheroes...
I guess it helps that I've never been a fan of superhero comic books -- in fact, growing up, the only things I read resembling comic books were the "Archie" digests and MAD magazine.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

alietr wrote:BTW, I don't feel like I should edit or remove people's posts unless it's pretty egregious. I feel like my response to Tyrion was adequate and hopefully won't be repeated; If there is a general sentiment that Tyrion's post was that bad, I would certainly be more inclined to take action. Fortunately, this hasn't arisen previously, but you JBoarders are always welcome to voice their opinion.
Since you asked...

To me, there isn't much difference between calling someone an idiot, and, for example, saying someone made an
"idiotic wager," which is allowed here, and happens a lot. Now I know the conventional wisdom is that calling someone stupid and saying what they did was stupid are two different things. IMO, this is a cop-out and a way to justify insulting others.