Wednesday, February 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Paucle wrote:Well, that's what I heard
You heard correctly. He just got plural-happy.

Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I loved the Marlboro answer, an M college in Vermont. I got it as Middlebury, but still, the thinking was good.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Tyrion Lannister wrote:But if Matt from Stanford gets to the final he'll be up against today's winner whom he dominated in the 1st round. I think he wins it all and unlike today's idiot in the middle he actually made a big DD wager to put himself in a good position. The guy in the middle had no business even ringing in on that last clue before FJ. He had a $2600 lead, just don't answer it and you're guaranteed to go into the finals with the lead which is what you always want.

I've never heard of TinTin. Didn't even know it was a Speilberg movie. And the Rogets Bartlett category was horrific.
While we welcome newcomers, we also welcome civil discourse. Please keep that in mind for future postings, as well as the fact that contestants frequently read what is posted here. Anyone who has gotten up there has already accomplished a great deal just to get that far. Thank you for your consideration.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Couldn't get my head off of Popeye. Then, about 20 seconds in, Tintin occurred to me, but I couldn't pull his name out in time. Rats.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 pm

I couldn't get anywhere near Tintin: thought about the Flash, Popeye, Pippi Longstocking... Somehow the name seemed scandinavian to me (and I know Pippi isn't a comic book, but I was struggling). Tintin books and Asterix and Obelix were the main thing I enjoyed in my elementary school french classes: I really should have got that one.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Wow, I never expected to not have a clue on a comic book question. Very nice get by Monica, and the funny thing is that with the guys' wagers, she still would have won the game even if it was a triple get. I wonder how many times that has happened in the entire history of the show, for 3rd place to win after a triple get in FJ?

My WAG was Richie Rich, thinking that perhaps he was modeled after a real-life rich little boy who traveled around the world on his parents' millions. I wasn't too confident in it, but I thought it might have a chance at being correct until Alex mentioned that Steven Spielberg had a movie featuring this character out this year. Even then, I couldn't pull Tintin, as I've heard of the movie but not really read anything about it, so I had no idea where the character came from, or what the general idea of the movie was. I now see that it was one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century. Do we have any Europeans here on the board? I wonder if it would be an instaget for those from across the Atlantic?

Richie Rich made his debut in 1953, which surprised me, because I thought it was a lot older than that. The Silver Surfer, Weston's guess, debuted in Marvel Comics in 1966, and Steve Canyon, Tyler's guess, began in 1947. I had never even heard of that last one, but it looks like a pretty decent guess, summarized on Wikipedia as a long-running American adventure comic strip.

As usual with recent tournaments, I see no logic or reason in the way the show determines the semifinal matchups. Weston and Tyler were 2 of the 3 highest scoring contestants in the quarterfinals, so why would they put them in the same semifinal game? I understand separating players who were in the same quarterfinal, and since there are 3 ladies and 6 men, I understand putting 1 female in each semifinal, but beyond that, why not balance them as much as possible based on the relative strength each contestant showed in the quarterfinals? The very minimum amount of "seeding" they should do is to put the top 3 QF scorers in 3 different SF games, as long as it is possible given their other rules, which it usually is. I guess I should just get over it and stop being surprised by it, but it still bothers me every time. I just don't understand their reasoning. In the TOC, they put all 3 of the top scorers from the quarterfinals in the same Semifinal game, Joon, Roger, and Mark. If they thought that was such an appealing matchup, shouldn't they rather have it in the finals, so they could show the same players 2 days in a row? If they'd put the top 3 players in 3 different SFs, they might all win and produce the best possible match in the finals. That just seems like common sense to me, but apparently the Jeopardy! powers-that-be don't share my opinion. Sure, it's their show and they can do what they want, but Joon was very likely the 2nd best player in that tournament, and It seems highly probable that either he or Mark would be $90,000 richer today if either or both had not been matched up against Roger in the semifinal.

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Anybody else notice the look on Alex's face when today's winner left her podium/lectern/whatever and came out to shake his hand? It was definitely along the lines of "Hey, what are you doing over here?" :lol:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm

The mini discussion here did me no good to solve the FJ clue: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=449&p=15444&hilit=tintin#p15444

My guess of Popeye was one just to have something on the paper. Alex throwing in Speilberg solved the clue for me.

Monica is 2/2 on the FJ clues so far and her bank account keeps getting bigger. Best on buzzer or knowledge? So what, so far.

Thank you writers for throwing in the John Williams clue in Buzz Band to keep me from getting sawed in half on that category. I also loved the clue for Awkward since I watched all of the first season and thought the show was solid entertainment. I guess college students don't watch shows about high schoolers?

My favorite stumper of the night was Mount Holyoke. I knew the category was College "M" and the clue had me immediately processing it as Holyoke. It was finding the "M" requirement that threw me. Headslapper on reveal.

Let's test the linking to the archive again. This guy would have solved the DD in the category: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6312

Jacobson00
Contributor

Post by Jacobson00 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 pm

jeff6286 wrote:

As usual with recent tournaments, I see no logic or reason in the way the show determines the semifinal matchups. Weston and Tyler were 2 of the 3 highest scoring contestants in the quarterfinals, so why would they put them in the same semifinal game? I understand separating players who were in the same quarterfinal, and since there are 3 ladies and 6 men, I understand putting 1 female in each semifinal, but beyond that, why not balance them as much as possible based on the relative strength each contestant showed in the quarterfinals? The very minimum amount of "seeding" they should do is to put the top 3 QF scorers in 3 different SF games, as long as it is possible given their other rules, which it usually is. I guess I should just get over it and stop being surprised by it, but it still bothers me every time. I just don't understand their reasoning. In the TOC, they put all 3 of the top scorers from the quarterfinals in the same Semifinal game, Joon, Roger, and Mark. If they thought that was such an appealing matchup, shouldn't they rather have it in the finals, so they could show the same players 2 days in a row? If they'd put the top 3 players in 3 different SFs, they might all win and produce the best possible match in the finals. That just seems like common sense to me, but apparently the Jeopardy! powers-that-be don't share my opinion. Sure, it's their show and they can do what they want, but Joon was very likely the 2nd best player in that tournament, and It seems highly probable that either he or Mark would be $90,000 richer today if either or both had not been matched up against Roger in the semifinal.
I so agree with you 100% why do they put the best scorers in the same semi. These games are always fishy. Somehow i kind of feel bad for weston. Joon roger and mark so an unfair match up inthe semi

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 pm

jeff6286 wrote:...Steve Canyon, Tyler's guess, began in 1947. I had never even heard of that last one, but it looks like a pretty decent guess, summarized on Wikipedia as a long-running American adventure comic strip.
So it wasn't necessarily that decent of a guess for a "Comic Books" category.

I actually first thought of Little Orphan Annie briefly before realizing the category was "Comic Books." 1929 is too early for any American comic book characters, so my mind went abroad and came up with Tintin fairly quickly after that.
CyrusChan wrote:Did anyone get Tintin? I had no idea Tintin was about travelling the world.
Tintin is all about traveling the world. Note some of the titles: "Tintin in Tibet" (the first one I ever read), "Tintin in America," "Tintin in the Congo," "Destination Moon" -- wait, what?

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 pm

An iconic, decades-old image of Tintin shows him in an airplane (single-seater, Snowy on lap? this is firmly planted in my brain, but I can't find it in Google images). Perhaps it's the first image that appears in the mind of a middle-aged clue-writer, but I guess not in the mind of most 20-year olds.

I do remember thinking, when I saw the category, that this was likely to be one of those times when the category is somewhat misleading, with a question which does not call for detailed knowledge of comic books.

I also have to say, what with the added plural and, later, the look of astonishment on Monica's face, there was some déja-vu going on for me.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 pm

Jacobson00 wrote:Omg she won, this is why i hate fj. At the end of the day it is all that matter
I guess you're saying that if monica had ended the DJ! round with zero, she still would have won? If that's the case, you most certainly don't understand anything about the game. if you hate 'fj' so much, turn it off. But don't come here to complain.

I guess you must really hate the fourth quarter in football, and the third period in hockey...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 am

I don't really know anything about Tintin, but remembered the movie tie-in from last Fall's Amazing Race, and thought maybe there might be some "travel" connection. (Not sure if the tournament was taped before that episode was aired, so that might not have been any help to the contestants). I see now that the Tintin movie was a Sony co-production, though, so there is that... (before my taping, I did make a point of brushing up on recent and upcoming Sony releases).

If that near-miss on the last clue in the Roget's category had changed the outcome of the game, I think it would have looked pretty bad, but thankfully the sole get made it all moot.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:52 am

Leah wrote:I also have to say, what with the added plural and, later, the look of astonishment on Monica's face, there was some déja-vu going on for me.
I got déjà vu from SF1 being won by a wild card from QF5 on a Final Jeopardy about a Frenchman [edit: whoops! "Francophone" probably works better there] that only third place got right, with underwagering going on.

No luck for me: I see "Comic Books," I think superheroes, and I zero in on "voyage" and say Aquaman.
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage on the Hudson

Re: The Adventures of Stannum-Stannum

Post by Sage on the Hudson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:25 am

CyrusChan wrote:Did anyone get Tintin? I had no idea Tintin was about travelling the world.
I got it, but only after becoming dissatisfied with my first thought, Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince (based on the clue's describing the subject's world travels). Upon re-reading the clue, I realized that The Little Prince came almost a decade-and-a-half too late, and remembered it was published as a novella, not a comic book.

earendel

Post by earendel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:12 am

FJ was an instaget for me based on the name of the boy and "travels". But this knowledge was gained because of the promotion of the Spielberg movie - it would be nice to know if this tournament was taped before or after the movie debuted.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:35 am

seaborgium wrote:
Leah wrote:I also have to say, what with the added plural and, later, the look of astonishment on Monica's face, there was some déja-vu going on for me.
I got déjà vu from SF1 being won by a wild card from QF5 on a Final Jeopardy about a Frenchman that only third place got right, with underwagering going on.

No luck for me: I see "Comic Books," I think superheroes, and I zero in on "voyage" and say Aquaman.
I also thought superhero and Aquaman was my first thought as well. But I knew Superman debuted in the 1930s and figured Aquaman had to have come later.

ETA...Aquaman debuted in 1941. Not that he's any better than my guess of Sinbad.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 am

earendel wrote:FJ was an instaget for me based on the name of the boy and "travels". But this knowledge was gained because of the promotion of the Spielberg movie - it would be nice to know if this tournament was taped before or after the movie debuted.
I believe the tournaments tend to tape a little over a month in advance of their airing. So my guess is it was either already out, or already being heavily promoted.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:17 am

seaborgium wrote:
earendel wrote:FJ was an instaget for me based on the name of the boy and "travels". But this knowledge was gained because of the promotion of the Spielberg movie - it would be nice to know if this tournament was taped before or after the movie debuted.
I believe the tournaments tend to tape a little over a month in advance of their airing. So my guess is it was either already out, or already being heavily promoted.
Plus the fact that Alex mentioned the movie in the pre-reveal should lead one to conclude quite easily the movie was out.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 am

dhkendall wrote:Plus the fact that Alex mentioned the movie in the pre-reveal should lead one to conclude quite easily the movie was out.
...or that the movie would be out by the time it aired. Alex's comments aren't always in real time.